Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Poor Show Channel 4

Cricket Web Staff Member

Poor Show Channel 4

What did other people think of Channel 4's highlights?? For those that work, it is the chance to catch up on events in that precious 30 minute slot. However, once you get past Mark Nicholas's maddening commentary and window dressing from the cameras, there was actually only about 15 mins or less of cricket (also a break halfway through)

I think Channel 4 do a good job covering the cricket but I would say they should concentrate on the crickert and not too much on the aesthetics of it all.

What do people think of Channel 4's coverage?? Complaints/Praise??

I thought Tresco batted well and his ability to leave the ball with decent judgement stood him in good stead. A decent 50 in seamer-friendly conditions is a start I'm sure he'll be happy with.
    John

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    It could have been worse, they could have ended the coverage at 6.00 to go to some stupid crappy game show.

Oh, that's right they did :!(
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Rik
    Quite luckly play actually finished a few minutes after, but I was not amused with the way that they said "that's it, bye" and went off without any prior warning...
    "Age is just a stupid number"

20...that's a rather big number :(:(:(

I can see we're going to miss quite a bit today if they do that...

Rik
    Originally posted by marc71178
    I can see we're going to miss quite a bit today if they do that...
    You know, as if the entire winter schedual then all the ODIs this summer weren't enough, Sky has yet again taken the 2nd Test of the summer...just perfect.

That was always going to happen though as it's part of the contract agreed with C4 a few years ago. Sky get one test and extended highlights on the rest.

Rik
    The worst part of Ch4's coverage is the cutoff at 6pm though, I'm now expected to watch the highlights 1 1/2 hours later in order to see what happened in the time they decided to screen a repeat instead of show the cricket. Last year, if I'm not mistaken, they actually went on after 6...

Pinball Champion!
    I find it incredible how they go to a repeat of a game show called "your face or mine" in which the audience vote who has the nicer face, instead of a lords test, pretty insulting for the people who take any interest in our summer sport...

Im baffled at the highlights, although i admire channel fours colour and enthusiasm over the BBC's gloom, I cannot help but feel that the more modern BBC would make a better package....

I am fortunate enough to have sky, and their coverage gets a lot of criticism.. While bob willis may not be that great, their commitment to the game and coverage is second to none
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Cricket Web Vice Administrator
    As I was telling Rik, it's not suprising that coverage has sliped as the one and only person that was responsible for bringing cricket to C4 recently left (about a month or so ago) so nobody at the company now fully backs it. Also at one point around the same time as the guy left I read another article that the ECB threatened to take the coverage away from them if they didn't buck their ideas up and reach some certain points (can't remember what they were) and give either another "Free" Channel the rights or offer them to Sky.

JAB
    Cricket Spectator
    am glad to see that C4 are putting the cricket on filmfour this afternoon, so it can be watched continuously without jumps to racing every 20 minutes.
    surely C4 could have used filmfour in the same way to show play post 6 o clock on the first two days of the match if they were determined to show their downmarket game show on the main channel

Looking at the races, I think a few coincide with Tea.

Rik
    Originally posted by JAB
    am glad to see that C4 are putting the cricket on filmfour this afternoon, so it can be watched continuously without jumps to racing every 20 minutes.
    surely C4 could have used filmfour in the same way to show play post 6 o clock on the first two days of the match if they were determined to show their downmarket game show on the main channel
    It's not nice in any shape or form, I don't have digital and I keep missing the action to go to Races they pay less to screen than they pay to screen the Tests.

Unfortunately their contract for the racing means they have to show it though.

Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    At least today they didn't make the mistake of terminating the coverage at 6.00 pm.

There were a number of people really brassed off with C4 yesterday - notably Test Match Special. Apparently, as soon as the tv coverage ended, they turned all their toys off too.

I could just imagine Blowers storming up to the C4 studio and giving the producer a piece of his mind.
    Nigel Clough's Black and White Army, beating Forest away with 10 men

"My dear old thing, don't you know it simply isn't Cricket to stop the public from being able to see the Test. If they have to rely on us, all they'll hear about is Helicopters, Pigeons, London Buses and Cakes"

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information