Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Poor Show Channel 4

Cricket Spectator

I'm wrong

The rule applies to ODI's as well, but it's use in these circumstances would be farcical, unless the England selectors can be sure they won't want players for either of the games that overlap a CC match.
    Don't call me a Ciderman, Mr. Anderson!

Cricket Web Staff Member

Can it get any worse???

I apologise now as I'm about to moan on the same subject but the highlights on channel 4 are really doing my head in. Firstly, I have been at home this week but unable to watch or listen to cricket as a) it's not on Channel 4 during the day and b) probably got this wrong but could only see occasional 30 min slots on BBC radio.

Admittedly, the highlights last night (Thirs) were 45 mins long rather than half an hour but they still had the agonising intro which someone at Channel 4 obviously is going to pull in the viewing figures. The black and white introduction with Mark Nicholas pulling all manner of silly faces is just AWFUL (sorry, no caps, i know...)

:!(

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Radio 4 Long Wave is on all day except for the Shipping Forecast.

Or, I believe that C***info have a link to the same commentary.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Rik
    Most of the highlights begin with Nicholas trying to act and failing...WHY?

JUST SHOW US THE BLOODY CRICKET!!!
    "Age is just a stupid number"

20...that's a rather big number :(:(:(

Cricket Web Vice Administrator
    Originally posted by Neil Pickup
    ITC Guidelines for Sport on Television

Category A events
    MUST be shown on free-to-air Terrestrial TV
    Olympic Games
    FIFA World Cup Finals Tournament
    FA Cup Final
    Scottish FA Cup Final (in Scotland)
    Grand National
    The Derby
    Wimbledon Tennis Finals
    European Football Championship Finals Tournament
    Rugby League Challenge Cup Final
    Rugby World Cup Final

Category B events
    May be shown on Pay TV provided there is the potential for satisfactory secondary coverage on Terrestrial TV
    Cricket Test Matches played in England
    Non-finals play in the Wimbledon Tournament
    Other matches in the Rugby World Cup Finals Tournament
    Five Nations Rugby Tournament matches involving home countries
    Commonwealth Games
    World Athletics Championship
    Cricket World Cup (final, semi-final and matches involving home nations)
    Ryder Cup
    Open Golf Championship

So Marc - Wimbledon isn't fully protected, nor is the Open, and nobody cares about the Boat Race.

I am highly concerned about Cricket's inclusion on List B - and given the BBC & C4's attitude to the World Cup highlights (i.e. no interest at all in showing them) - it could be a bit messy.

Test Cricket was removed from List A in June 1998. Oh, how I hate New Labour.
    Sorry to dig up the old topic, but I was just reading a report on Cricinfo and it gives a few facts that people haven't relized.. Inculding putting a few of Neil's points above right and answering a few questions that cropped up through the thread.

One major point that I will highlight is quoting Neil "Test Cricket was removed from List A in June 1998. Oh, how I hate New Labour." In fact the report reveals it was actually the ECB who requested it was lowered to only a Cat B sport.

Theres quite alot of info in the report about the BBC / C5 possibly wantting the cricket if C4 give up on it, it also confirms what I was saying about the guy who infulanced cricketing coming to C4 has indeed left and going into a bit of detail about what the viewing figures are like for the WI tour (2000), Ashes 2001 and the current Zimbabwe tour.

Well here's the link for anyone intrested Who Calls The Shots?
    Last edited by Rich2001; 13-06-2003 at 04:47 PM.

Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    I read this very closely earlier today (amongst another group of similar reports) and I feel that the onus is on US, cricket fans, to complain, complain and complain again whenever Channel 4 (or any broadcaster) do anything to upset us regarding cricket coverage.

They place great truck on the number of complaints that viewers make (hence the mention of '100 complaints' when the Edmund Hillary Everest program was re-scheduled , yet 'only a handful' of complaints when the cricket was canned at 6.00 pm).

I've never been a 'Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells' - but I will be in future. Don't just post your whinges here - let the broadcasters have both barrels. Otherwise, our test matches will soon be starting at 8.30 am.

On a positive note, let them know when they've done things right too (this might be a little more difficult)
    Nigel Clough's Black and White Army, beating Forest away with 10 men

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Sounds like an action group is needed!

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Originally posted by Rich2001
    One major point that I will highlight is quoting Neil "Test Cricket was removed from List A in June 1998. Oh, how I hate New Labour." In fact the report reveals it was actually the ECB who requested it was lowered to only a Cat B sport.
    I'm still blaming the government as it is their responsibility to correct the market failure and make sure it is always available to free viewing.
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

I resent the fact that, when watching the cricket this morning, a big red blob kept appearing, enticing me to watch 'Big Brother'.

I feel that, for reasons of balance, Channel 4 should have a big red blob in the corner when Big Brother is on - click it and you should get re-runs of great cricket matches.

Cricket Web Staff Member

Thanks a bundle....

I was delighted to see that my attempts to avoid the score of the first England match yesterday was pointless as the Channel 4 highlights were screened at the highly useful time of past midnight. I appreciate the match finished late being a day-nighter but C4 do like to bung cricket in the graveyeard shift if at all possible. I welcome their screening of Twenty20 and Mark Armani interviewing players in the batsman's shelter after they're out but after midnight is only ever gonna be watched by diehard fans.

I see in scheduling priority Cricket is on a par of about the third helping of the day of Big brothers Little Brother's Big Dogs Little Dogs Mindless News or something similar. This fascinating bulletin by Dermot is mindless at 6pm and equally so at after midnight.

Channel 4 sucks big time.

I think the only reason they have condescended to cover some Twenty20 games is the ECB targeting of young fans, which of course fits nicely into Channel 4's 'no-one under 18 or over 35 welcome' policy.

See DD's 'take' on the proposed 3 ODI series against Australia next year

DD's column

It's about the fifth 'article'

I thought Channel 4 was the opposite - ie Under 18's and over 35's? Oh wait I just relaised, were you being sarcastic?
    My house is burned down but I can see the sky.

Originally posted by Bazza
    I thought Channel 4 was the opposite - ie Under 18's and over 35's? Oh wait I just relaised, were you being sarcastic?
    I'm quoting what was said regarding the reasons Channel 4 gave for canning the test match coverage at 6.00 pm to show the repeat of a game show.

Maybe they were being sarcastic.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information