Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Poor Show Channel 4

Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    I think this still pretty-well applies :

Listed Events

In 1991, the Home Secretary announced a reduced list of events which were not permitted under the 1990 Broadcasting Act, to be shown on television on pay-per-view terms. As stated above, the 1996 Act altered the rules surrounding the transmission of listed events; however, the list was not changed by the new legislation. In June 1998, the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport announced a revised list of sporting events for which live coverage must be made available to free-to-air terrestrial television (Category A) and those for which live coverage might be shown on pay TV, provided there were satisfactory arrangements for secondary coverage by a free-to-air broadcaster (Category B). Following consultation by the ITC, these changes were incorporated in the ITC Code on Sports and Other Listed Events in 1999. The Code was further amended in January 2000 to implement certain European Broadcasting Directive requirements, giving the ITC responsibility to protect events listed by other EEA states in relation to broadcasters established in the UK and transmitting to those states.

One such broadcaster, TV Danmark, applied to the ITC in July 2000 for consent to show five Danish World Cup (football) qualifying matches, and was refused because the ITC felt that the free-to-air public broadcasters in Danmark had not been provided with a sufficient opportunity to acquire the rights to broadcast these matches. TV Danmark challenged the ITC’s decision and lost the judicial review but the ruling was overturned in favour of TV Danmark on appeal. The ITC recently appealed against this decision to the House of Lords who decided in favour of the ITC’s original decision therefore supporting the procedures which the ITC originally applied and the ITC’s interpretation of the relevant jurisdictions.

Category A events: The Olympic Games, the FIFA World Cup Finals Tournament, the FA Cup Final, the Scottish FA Cup Final (in Scotland), the Grand National, the Derby, the Wimbledon Tennis Finals, the European Football Championship Finals Tournament, the Rugby League Challenge Cup Final and the Rugby World Cup Final.

Category B events: Cricket Test Matches played in England, non-finals play in the Wimbledon Tournament, all other matches in the Rugby World Cup Finals Tournament, Five Nations Rugby Tournament matches involving home countries, the Commonwealth Games, the World Athletics Championship, the Cricket World Cup (final, semi-final and matches involving home nations’ teams), the Ryder Cup, the Open Gold Championship.
    Nigel Clough's Black and White Army, beating Forest away with 10 men

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Like I said
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

Cricket Spectator

Definitions

Bear in mind that the definitions of "pay-per-view", and "free-to air" are not as clear cut as you might think, and are slowly changing in the public perception.

Subscription channels, such as Sky Sports are clearly not "free-to air", but neither is the bulk of their coverage considered "pay-per-view" (just Premiership Plus, Boxing and F1 up to now, I think).

Add to this the fact that the BBC's Charter is up for renewal in 2006, and that there are a number of organisations pressing for an alternative funding arrangement to the Licence Fee (such as subscription). When one also considers the Government's stated aim of closing down analogue braodcasting systems by 2010 at the latest, it's possible that in a few short years there will be no truly "free-to-air" channels, as a subscription service will be required to view the only one left (ITV).

Bearing all of this in mind, and assuming a more competitive market in the near future, it is probably fair to say that the next round of rights negotiations in most sports will be interesting, to say the least.
    Don't call me a Ciderman, Mr. Anderson!

Rik
    Category B events: Cricket Test Matches played in England
    Which means they will probably go to Sky...
    "Age is just a stupid number"

20...that's a rather big number :(:(:(

Rik
    Originally posted by Neil Pickup
    Test Cricket was removed from List A in June 1998. Oh, how I hate New Labour.
    Your not the only one...

Anyway do you think it had anything to do with John Major's love of Cricket? The position as List A?

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    I think it in place well before he came to power.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Cricket Web Staff Member

C&G Vs Surrey

Apologies if the answer to this is featured in theis thread but I lost the plot after a while. I am disappointed C&G cricket isn't featured on C4 especially when the alternatives includes the tripe that is Big Brother 4. At the risk of being accused of arrogant, Somerset (winners and an excellent pedigree in this comp) and Surrey (say no more) is about as big as this gets but no cameras it seems. Perhaps only the later rounds are covered but shame as chances are we will miss out on air-time and I will miss out on the chance to run around wearing Somerset Talk boxer shorts and get excellent free publicity. :O

Cricket Web Vice Administrator

Re: C&G Vs Surrey

Originally posted by jf2001
    Apologies if the answer to this is featured in theis thread but I lost the plot after a while. I am disappointed C&G cricket isn't featured on C4 especially when the alternatives includes the tripe that is Big Brother 4. At the risk of being accused of arrogant, Somerset (winners and an excellent pedigree in this comp) and Surrey (say no more) is about as big as this gets but no cameras it seems. Perhaps only the later rounds are covered but shame as chances are we will miss out on air-time and I will miss out on the chance to run around wearing Somerset Talk boxer shorts and get excellent free publicity. :O
    Indeed it is only the later rounds, but only the highlights..

It's an intresting point that alot of forum users are saying there's so little coverage on "Free to Air" TV, yet C4 are saying this is the most cricket they have ever shown.... Pitty most of it's highlights only!

Here is a full coverage guide for C4 for this summer

ENGLAND v ZIMBABWE npower Test Series

May 22 - 26
    ENG v ZIM, 1st Test, Lord's (LIVE)

Jun 5-9
    ENG v ZIM, 2nd Test, Durham (Highlights)

NATWEST CHALLENGE (Highlights only)

Jun 17
    ENG v PAK, NatWest Challenge, Old Trafford

Jun 20
    ENG v PAK, NatWest Challenge, The Oval

Jun 22
    ENG v PAK, NatWest Challenge, Lord's

NATWEST SERIES (highlights only)

Jun 26
    ENG v ZIM, NatWest Series, Trent Bridge

Jun 28
    ENG v SA, NatWest Series, The Oval

Jul 1
    ENG v ZIM, NatWest Series, Headingley

Jul 3
    ENG v SA, NatWest Series, Old Trafford

Jul 6
    ENG v ZIM, NatWest Series, Bristol

Jul 8
    ENG v SA, NatWest Series, Edgbaston

Jul 12
    NatWest Series Final, Lord's

ENGLAND v SOUTH AFRICA npower Test Series

Jul 24 - 28
    ENG v SA, 1st Test, Edgbaston, (LIVE)

Jul 31- Aug 4
    ENG v SA, 2nd Test, Lord's, (LIVE)

Aug 14-18
    ENG v SA, 3rd Test, Trent Bridge, (LIVE)

Aug 21-25
    ENG v SA, 4th Test, Headingley, (LIVE)

Sep 4-8
    ENG v SA, 5th Test, The Oval, (LIVE)

CHELTENHAM AND GLOUCESTER TROPHY (Highlights only)

Jun 11
    C&G QF (match and venue tbc)

Aug 7
    C&G SF 1

Aug 9
    C&G SF2

Aug 30
    C&G Final, Lord's

20:20 LIMITED OVERS COMPETITION

Jun 14
    20:20 match, Headingley (LIVE)

Jul 19
    20:20 SFs and Final (venue tbc), (Highlights)

Cricket Web Staff Member

Twenty20 Cup

Any idea if there will be coverage on TV for the new Twenty20 Cup? I'd imagine this would be the most exciting form of cricket to watch on TV and to try and attract new viewers.

I noted that Mark Nicholas was using his Telegraph column to defend C4's coverage. Well, he's hardly likely to criticise them is he? He argued that they bid for World Cup cricket highlights but nothing could be sorted. I'm sorry but this issue winds me right up. How can any broadcaster (and I hold the BBC equally culpable here) who says they have a dedication to sport and to cricket not be able to fund highlights for the biggest competition in the world? It wouldn't happen in other Test-playing countries...In fact I know that other countries were gob-smacked the World Cup wasn't being shown on TV in England. Can you imagine BBC/ITV saing sorry no World Cup rugby this year. No way... In fact, I remember years back when we won the Rugby Sevens title with the likes of Matt Dawson and ex-Quins Andrew Harriman when it was hosted in Scotland. The BBC showed every single game and highlights to boot over four glorious days. If only cricket could be seen with the same enthusiasm.

Sorry, moan over. JF

Cricket Spectator

I think you're barking at the wrong target

Sorry John, but I think your ire at the broadcasters is unjustified in this case.

If it weren't for the fact that the Rugby World Cup Final is on the protected list, then the terrestrial broadcasters would very probably have lost the rights to the entire tournament in a bidding war with Sky, etc. The pay TV channels are hardly likely to stump up huge wedge for tournaments that they lose exclusivity on at the last and crucial stage, but would price others out of the market if the final itself were not on the protected list.

The Beeb and other free-to-air operators can only afford events that are either protected at some stage, or are of little majority interest, such as sevens rugby and Formula 1. (The only reason this is still on ITV is that the uptake for Sky's enhanced coverage was so poor in a period when interest in the "sport" was on the wane).

Your anger with respect to the ICC WC coverage should be aimed at the government and the regulator, who a) excluded the event from List A, and b) reckoned that half an hour at around midnight on the days of England games, the semis and the final represented "adequate arrangements for secondary coverage".

PS. There will be coverage of some 20Twenty games on Murdoch-vision.
    Last edited by Frome Exile; 29-05-2003 at 06:18 AM.

Cricket Web Staff Member

Fair Enough....

You seem to know more on the subject than me. I feel angry and the obvious point of attack would seem to be C4 but I guess that other such as the government do some explaining to do.

I guess I'm also miffed at Mark Nicholas as I don't like the way that the Zimbabwe highlights always started with shots of him from every angle as he babbles through some cheesy monologue. Yes Channel 4 have brought innovation but rampling stories from the BBC team was just as fun.....

What r your thoughts on Richard Johnson's call up and possible damage to Somerset's push for DIv 2? Also was Blackwell unlucky or not in the mix from the start??

Re: C&G Vs Surrey

Sky showed the whole game live (good one too) - winners (Surrey) to get pasted at Derby next month (I hope).

I wholeheartedly agree regarding the lamentable situation regarding live TV coverage of cricket on terrestrial television - especially WC2003.

Television, unfortunately, reflects (OK, claims to reflect) the viewing habits and intelligence of the great unwashed. It's all about viewing figures. Maybe if it was re-packaged as 'Reality cricket' with a few snakes, exploding cricket balls and ladies losing the occasional item of clothing, then C4 would give the game REAL coverage.

Cricket Spectator

Re: Fair Enough....

What r your thoughts on Richard Johnson's call up and possible damage to Somerset's push for DIv 2? Also was Blackwell unlucky or not in the mix from the start??
    My thoughts on this are many and varied.

Johnno deserves England recognition, but to me he is a better player in the longer game than in limited overs. Indeed, I tend to agree with one contributor to a BBC web site message board who says the selectors appear to have got RJ and Kirtley (in the Test squad, I think) round the wrong way!

The worrying thing is that I don't think he'll play unless Gough breaks down. The squad has a look of one in which one experienced bowler will play with a bunch of youngsters. Had Caddick not retired from ODI's and been fit, this would have been him. With doubts over Gough, and Hoggard injured, an alternative "old pro" was needed. Although he's yet to be capped, Johnno has 142 limited over games under his belt, and has been "around" the England set-up before, so he gets the nod as back-up to Dazzler. I'll be really P'd off if we lose him for three vital CC2 games and he carries drinks, but I can see that happening.

With regard to our Div Two push, as I posted on Grockles earlier, thank God (or Kevin?) we signed Nixon McLean and not some third string Aussie batter.

Many (including Vic Marks) have suggested that the England heirarchy question Blackwell's fitness and attitude. I don't think many Somerset fans doubt his commitment, and he seems to me to be at least as fit as Flintoff, so I reckon he's pretty unlucky.

Also, Burns probably did him no favours yesterday by not bowling him. Five or six tight overs to go with his quick-fire 39 might have strengthened his case for a call-up............and might have won us the game to boot!
    Last edited by Frome Exile; 29-05-2003 at 07:09 AM.

Re: Re: Fair Enough....

Originally posted by Frome Exile

<snip>
    I'll be really P'd off if we lose him for three vital CC2 games and he carries drinks, but I can see that happening.

Dunno about that. It would be like the Kevin Kirtley/James Innes cloning situation - a release before the end of day 2 and Johnson could see his name in the papers as a centurion.

Cricket Spectator

That rule only applies to Tests.

I think I'm right in saying that the One-day squad remain as a squad for the entire "tournament". The rule about nominating a player from a county eleven who can later be replaced only applies to Test squads.

It wouldn't make sense to release Johnno back to Taunton, because you didn't need him on say June 26th for the game against Zim, only to then lose a bowler in that game and pull the released player out of the county game again on the 28th to play SA.

Similar principles apply to the 1st/3rd of July and the 10th/12th July (assuming England make the final).

Releasing players during the Pakistan series is largely a non-issue, because all that the players will be missing is the 20Twenty.
    Last edited by Frome Exile; 29-05-2003 at 07:56 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information