• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Future of International Cricket

jonny1408

School Boy/Girl Captain
There is great uncertainty over where the future of international cricket is going after the introduction of the IPL and ICL, and the new dominant force that is twenty 20. Here is my proposal as to what should happen.

Get rid of international twenty 20 matches, get rid of the twenty 20 world cup (yes i know it was more of a sucess than the 50 over world cup) and get rid of the champions trophy(should have been gone a long time ago).

You make think it is a bit radical to get rid of twenty 20 internationals but I think as well as the IPL there should be an EPL (the format of the EPL is another debate entirely). The IPL being in the exactly same time frame as it is now but maybe a little shorter and the EPL to be somewhere between mid-june and mid-july. As we now have two major tournaments(IPL/EPL) which all the worlds best players play in so there would be no point for a 20/20 world cup and internationals. Then test series and ODI series should be played around those two periods so there is no internationals going on at the same time as the EPL/IPL. In the English summer there should be a test and ODI series before the EPL and another one after and then in the winter test series and ODI series being played from October through to February.

The other remaining thing is the world cup, I think this should still exist as it is the only real hope for the 50-over game to survive for this to happen the world cup should be packed into a two week period,(can't say what time of year as it depends on where it is being held) but as this is only one every 4 years scheldules can be altered slightly to fit round this if necessary).

I'd like to know your thoughts on my proposals and what your ideas are.

Other ideas I have is instead of the world cup is to have an ODI league with every team playing each team the same amount of times over a certain time period (probably 4/5 years) however this has problems as for it to be fair all ODI series would have to be the same length which will be a problem with India wanted 7 match series and England only really wanting 5 max. and some teams would have the advantage over others depending on how many times they played at home as England would probably play a lot more at home than every one else are they are the only country to have weather conditions May - August to play cricket in.

There is great uncertainty over where the future of international cricket is going after the introduction of the IPL and ICL, and the new dominant force that is twenty 20. Here is my proposal as to what should happen.

Get rid of international twenty 20 matches, get rid of the twenty 20 world cup (yes i know it was more of a sucess than the 50 over world cup) and get rid of the champions trophy(should have been gone a long time ago).

You make think it is a bit radical to get rid of twenty 20 internationals but I think as well as the IPL there should be an EPL (the format of the EPL is another debate entirely). The IPL being in the exactly same time frame as it is now but maybe a little shorter and the EPL to be somewhere between mid-june and mid-july. As we now have two major tournaments(IPL/EPL) which all the worlds best players play in so there would be no point for a 20/20 world cup and internationals. Then test series and ODI series should be played around those two periods so there is no internationals going on at the same time as the EPL/IPL. In the English summer there should be a test and ODI series before the EPL and another one after and then in the winter test series and ODI series being played from October through to February.

The other remaining thing is the world cup, I think this should still exist as it is the only real hope for the 50-over game to survive for this to happen the world cup should be packed into a two week period,(can't say what time of year as it depends on where it is being held) but as this is only one every 4 years scheldules can be altered slightly to fit round this if necessary).

I'd like to know your thoughts on my proposals and what your ideas are.

Other ideas I have is instead of the world cup is to have an ODI league with every team playing each team the same amount of times over a certain time period (probably 4/5 years) however this has problems as for it to be fair all ODI series would have to be the same length which will be a problem with India wanted 7 match series and England only really wanting 5 max. and some teams would have the advantage over others depending on how many times they played at home as England would probably play a lot more at home than every one else are they are the only country to have weather conditions May - August to play cricket in.
What else you want to see...........? People go in the ground for 5 days and just 21 wickets fall with 6 batsmen making the century?

ODIs and 20twenty is popular because they produce results and that too in less time. According to the laws of Marketing, test cricket has is at its maturity stage and now its decline is a must, now we need to introduce new versions of the game to keep this game alive. There are many other options for the people. Don't forget what was happened to cricket in West Indies. This can happen even in whole world if we did not take corrective meeasures. New versions of cricket are important to keep this game alive. We need to ensure the results in test cricket if we wish to see this game in future as well.

unccricket

School Boy/Girl Captain
tour iteneraries need to be standardized, and all teams should play an equal number of matches in a given year (ie. a cap of 12-15 tests, 15 - 20 ODI's a year). ICC tournaments would be outside this cap.

The two test/7 ODI series needs to be scrapped. Pitches need to be produced to produce a result in the 4th or 5th day (ie. grounds should be fined/banned for excessive flat pitches).

Would like to see a test league played over 4 years that includes home and away series, round robin style.

Get rid of meaningless teams playing the top teams. Let Bangladesh, Kenya, Scotland, Ireland, Holland play each other until they get good enough to challenge the top teams consistently. Give their cricket boards resources to improve facilities, coaching.

Force the ICC executive committee to be independent of member countries. Ban the BCCI until they stop bullying the rest of the world.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
It's an absolute joke that the England v India series could see numbers 2 and 3 in the world clash in a best of 2 Test Series.

The top 4 should be playing each other over a minimum of 4 Tests per series.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Think this thread is rather too much a searching-for-the-alchemist's-formula TBH.

There are a great many uncertainties at the current time - what makes it worse is that there's no magic bullet or even short-term remedy you can use. On many things, you've just got to sit tight and hope.