• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rate Him: Shane Warne

What do think of Shane Warne out of 10?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dissector

International Debutant
8/10. A terrific bowler but he had a near-perfect setup: great batting line-up which would pile up the runs in all conditions, a superb and accurate fast-bowler who would make the early break-throughs and keep things quiet and a top notch fielding side. In that context his career average of 25.4 isn't super-impressive. Ultimately I think the careers of Murali and Hadlee were far more challenging and more impressive in their results.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think that was the case in his latter years (from about 98 onwards) but dont think it was always the case in his early days. Certainly was in a great side though. Terrific entertainer.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Great bowler. But:

1. Banned for taking prohibited diuretics.

2. Incredibly big gob.

3. Wildly overrated in terms of his impact on cricket. Wrist spin bowling wasn't a "dying art" when he emerged as is often lazily claimed (Mushy and Kumble had already begun their Test careers, Murali was waiting in the wings, and Qadir's international career had yet to end) and he has left no discernible legacy such as a stream of Australian wrist spinners to follow him. As for making cricket "cool", which is sometimes claimed, well he didn't - cricket simply isn't cool and never will be.

4. As Dissector points out, everything around him was loaded in his favour.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
1. Yep. Did the crime, did the time.
2. Yep. Got him heaps of wickets too.
3. DWTA. he had a huge impact on cricket here, and i mean huge.
4. DWTA to an extent - he was a big part of why things seemed to be stacked in their favour. Australia no more scored 550 plus every time they batted during his career than WI always bowled sides out for 50 in the 80s.

1- As a player he understands the cricket very very well. He was under-rated as his abilities to be the Australian Captain and he has proved that in IPL by leading a very young, inexperienced side. He is a great motivator for his team.

2- As a bowler i think his record speaks itself. The greatest leg spinner the world has ever produced.

3- As far as his irresponsible behavior is concerned, i equally blame to team mnagement and ACB who could not motivate him. He was overlooked and under-rated by the ACB. Ponting was never a better choice for Captain as compared to Warne. Responsibilities make you more responsible.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
1. Yep. Did the crime, did the time.
2. Yep. Got him heaps of wickets too.
3. DWTA. he had a huge impact on cricket here, and i mean huge.
4. DWTA to an extent - he was a big part of why things seemed to be stacked in their favour. Australia no more scored 550 plus every time they batted during his career than WI always bowled sides out for 50 in the 80s.
1. No dispute there. But many other great players didn't take banned substances. He's less great in my eyes because of it.

2. Take away those wickets and you're left with a rather less impressive record. A bowler taking wickets purely with skill rather than with his gob is a greater bowler imo.

3. OK then - but still over-rated as regards his effect on spin bowling.

4. Australia had a superb batting line-up throughout his career, and the greatness of McGrath for most of it.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
If Warne's greatness is taken away because of his great batting line-up, Sir Viv's greatness as a batsman is taken away because of the awesome bowling unit that was within his team, not to mention some fine batsman around him as well.

Truth is they are both all time greats, and it shouldn't be diminished because there were other greats around them too.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
I agree they're both all-time greats. However you can't assess their records fairly without having regard to the context in which they achieved those records.

And there's not the slightest doubt that both Richards and Warne benefitted from the (other) great players who played with them.

sideshowtim

Banned
I agree they're both all-time greats. However you can't assess their records fairly without having regard to the context in which they achieved those records.

And there's not the slightest doubt that both Richards and Warne benefitted from the (other) great players who played with them.
As a bowler, I believe your record can be damaged by having great bowlers around you. Warne had less wickets up for grabs with so many awesome bowlers around him taking them too.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Fair point. However there was an advantage to him in having McGrath, specifically, bowling with him because of the control which he (like Warne) was able to exert. There's no doubt whatsoever that they were a great pair of bowlers as well as being great players in their own right.

The strength of the Australian batting was more of a factor though imho. Runs on the board messes with batsmen's heads and creates wickets for the bowlers, and Warne frequently benefitted from this (although he was clearly capable of taking wickets in less favourable circumstances too).

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Doubt you could classify cricket as 'cool' in most countries, but you could in Australia, and I guess that's where Warne's impact is obviously most likely to have had influence.

Laurrz

International Debutant
Doubt you could classify cricket as 'cool' in most countries, but you could in Australia, and I guess that's where Warne's impact is obviously most likely to have had influence.
Yeah probably, guess a bit ignorant for me to not think about the world instead of just this country.
Would have to have a mild impact on perspective of cricket in other countries though lol, himself being so attention grabbing anyway... even if he doesn't do anything that out.

I mean he has a sort of rockstar attitude that you wouldn't accustom to for cricketers.

Dissector

International Debutant
If Warne's greatness is taken away because of his great batting line-up, Sir Viv's greatness as a batsman is taken away because of the awesome bowling unit that was within his team, not to mention some fine batsman around him as well.
Actually that would be an entirely legitimate argument IMO which is why I would rate Viv at 8/10 as well and below Lara and Tendulkar. Having a great opening pair is a huge advantage for any middle-order batsman and having bowlers who routinely demolish the opposite side will put the opposing captain on the defensive when you are batting.

Viv and Warne are very similar in that their "aura" tends to get them overrated compared to their achievements IMO. Not surprisingly they tend to provoke the most furious arguments among cricket fans as well.:ph34r:

sideshowtim

Banned
Actually that would be an entirely legitimate argument IMO which is why I would rate Viv at 8/10 as well and below Lara and Tendulkar. Having a great opening pair is a huge advantage for any middle-order batsman and having bowlers who routinely demolish the opposite side will put the opposing captain on the defensive when you are batting.

Viv and Warne are very similar in that their "aura" tends to get them overrated compared to their achievements IMO. Not surprisingly they tend to provoke the most furious arguments among cricket fans as well.:ph34r:
Well Tendulkar hasn't exactly had a pack of duds around him for most of his career...

Dissector

International Debutant
He has never had good openers above him though which is what is really important for a middle-order batsman. And obviously he has never had a bowling lineup remotely as good as the West Indies one during Viv's time.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Fair point. However there was an advantage to him in having McGrath, specifically, bowling with him because of the control which he (like Warne) was able to exert. There's no doubt whatsoever that they were a great pair of bowlers as well as being great players in their own right.

The strength of the Australian batting was more of a factor though imho. Runs on the board messes with batsmen's heads and creates wickets for the bowlers, and Warne frequently benefitted from this (although he was clearly capable of taking wickets in less favourable circumstances too).
But what made Warne "Warne" was not that he was consistently great (although he was) because he had a superb batting line-up to support him. What made him great was when no one in the side could hold it together he ended up changing the match, turning it on it's head, and in the most dramatic fashion. I've never witnessed a bowler do the "unbelievable" as many times as Warne. I've never witnessed a cricketer affect a game merely by being in it.

At the end of his career when Warne had gone over major surgeries, lost a lot of his different balls and spin, he was taking wickets with mere determination and the colossus that is his personality. I was wrapped up more in a game watching Warne bowl spin than watching any other fast bowler. I've never seen a bowler do what Warne did in 2005 against England, yet still lose.

There will never be a cricketer as far ahead of the rest statistically like a Bradman; but in terms of importance to a side, impact on a match/series, consistent brilliance under in the pressure-cooker situations...there is only one Warne.