• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Acronyms

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
As Dave Podmore once said, Acronyms Can Really Optimise Now Your Message.

However many of the acronyms used here leave me baffled. I'm not sure to what extent they are specific to CW or whether they are more widely used on the infoweb.

Could anyone please enlighten me by providing some acronym definitions?

Here are two for starters.

ITBT
AWTA

I will add more as they present themselves to me.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
I'm sure Dicko has made many threads like this but:

ITBT - If Truth Be Told

AWTA - Agree With The Above

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Acronyms infuriate me, because I can't help but use them, yet I find them for the most part utterly pointless and destructive. As a linguist I should know better, but I'm too lazy to type out every single word I want to say. Would be all in favour of the outlawing of them from the English language, just to stop me from being able to use them. :@

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Acronyms infuriate me, because I can't help but use them, yet I find them for the most part utterly pointless and destructive. As a linguist I should know better, but I'm too lazy to type out every single word I want to say. Would be all in favour of the outlawing of them from the English language, just to stop me from being able to use them. :@
Haha, AWTA. And that wasn't even intentional when I first thought it....

In theory I really hate all these acronyms, but I use them just as much as anyone else here so it'd be hypocritical in the extreme for me to ever criticise anyone for it.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Nah, DWTA. It's just evolution of language.
It's not evolution. Evolution happens naturally. It's bastardisation, a process which inhibits the evolution of language and makes English the hardest language in the world to learn by an even greater distance than it already is.

Shaggy Alfresco

State Captain
It's not evolution. Evolution happens naturally. It's bastardisation, a process which inhibits the evolution of language and makes English the hardest language in the world to learn by an even greater distance than it already is.
DWTA, Chinese? Any number of the Khoisan click-languages as well.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nah, English is generally considered one of the hardest languages to learn. Chinese is difficult for English speakers, because we're ****y idiots.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I heard Polish is actually the most difficult language to learn. Apparently there are multiple 'tenses' such as past and even further past or something like that. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'd heard that as well - Hungarian's supposed to be difficult to learn as well.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
However many of the acronyms used here leave me baffled. I'm not sure to what extent they are specific to CW or whether they are more widely used on the infoweb.

Could anyone please enlighten me by providing some acronym definitions?
It's the legal training that causes it

But hey we came here of our own free will - VNFI

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Nah, English is easy to learn to a poor standard because the order of the words you use etc doesn't have to be exactly right in order to be understood - you can get away with knowing very little and still be understood pretty well. Very difficult to learn to a high standard though, which is where the idea that English is the hardest language to learn comes from.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, English is a very easy language to learn to a decent level.

There are no genders involved in words, it isnt very structured and has a million simple words that can be used in place of complicated ones. The fact you can speak all mixed up like Yoda and be easily understood says a lot for basic English.

Obviously the higher you progress the rules of grammar, some quirky spellings and a massive vocabulary makes it more difficult.