• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CWers Playing at the Highest Level

Athlai

Not Terrible
Which CWers out there have played at high cricketing levels? And what can you tell us about this level that the audience just can't know themselves.

I think that this thread would be a great read for anybody like me who has done **** all in cricket and is likely to do **** all in there near future.

So go on CW, tell us your tale.

pasag

RTDAS
vic would be playing at the highest level currently on these boards. Not sure what his future prospects are as he's usually pretty modest about these things but it's definitely a good time to be a young spinner in Australia.

Athlai

Not Terrible
A young kiwi newbie (at the CW boards) is currently playing for U19 NZ, that must be up there.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
I'm unsure if what I played could be considered cricket or not - I managed a few seasons in and out of senior cricket in Dunedin. But is that of a sufficient quality to be considered cricket, or is that merely a "hitaround" with some mates?

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm unsure if what I played could be considered cricket or not - I managed a few seasons in and out of senior cricket in Dunedin. But is that of a sufficient quality to be considered cricket, or is that merely a "hitaround" with some mates?
More like 'reacharound'.

Langeveldt

Soutie
I had a summer of coaching from Terry Jenner at the MCC school, back when I was really good.. I was on the edge of playing Somerset rep, but never got a game..

4 years later and I struggle to land the ball on the cut strip, am a better batsman now though..

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I had a steak once, thought that was high-level, then Gelman said no :(

I believe FRAZ and Goughy both played to a decent level, FRAZ possibly First-Class, Goughy not quite, social in a similar boat as well IIRC

I, on the other hand, made my all time HS last week of 39 in a hitaround on the field. Was a b it gutted not to reach 50 but I had already raised my bat upon reaching 10 tbh.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
SJS played 1st class cricket in India I think.

Was gonna mention Goughy too - didn't know about Fraz.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
My story is one of little interest. Just so happened to combine insecurity, attitude problem and nerves with the ability to wang the ball down quicker than anyone else.

I still have the press clippings and trophy of being presented as 'Most Outstanding Talent in the County'. I played County U19s and Senior Schools Rep. Was at a county for a short time (never close to a first team game).

Pro'ed in a number of different leagues. Played Rep cricket around the World, played for South African National Club Champions etc

The kicker being there was a group of English guys training in SA and I was introduced as "This is Kev, he is English as well. You will not have heard of him but if he had looked after himself he could have been great" :@

Barely a week goes by without someone asking why I never made it. Im the only one who knows that it never was going to happen as I didnt have the mentality for it.

When I first played County rep cricket at 17 one of the coaches asked me "Where the hell have you been hiding? We could have used you for years"

my reply was simple and to the point

"Ive not been hiding, just you ****ers have been looking in the wrong place"

Talent is one thing but when you fear failure, are high maintainance and let tiny things bother you then long term success is never likely. Interestingly, I always assumed I was normal ie there were planty of people doing what I did and that I wasnt anything special. Only looking back do I realise that I had a bit extra. Just wish people had told me then rather than waiting until Im too fat, old and injured to do anything about it.

EDIT- My fear of failure manifested in never training. I never worked out a day in my life. Id practice a lot but no fitness or gym work for me. Why? Well it always made me feel that if I failed I had a semi decent reason ie lack of fitness and injuries rather than someone having the upper hand on me. Still amazed how far I went carrying that mentality.

Last edited:

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
erm...Heath ?

I came to the 2nd higest level of holland...but that is just holland :p
played Holland U19 development team as well...

my money is on heath being the most succesive lol

PhoenixFire

International Coach
I played Yorkshire rep back in the day and still harbour some hopes of playing FC, though it isn't that likely. Hopefully I can do well in ECB Premier league or something like that when I'm older.

open365

International Vice-Captain
I believe FRAZ and Goughy both played to a decent level, FRAZ possibly First-Class, Goughy not quite, social in a similar boat as well IIRC
FRAZ is literaly the last person I would have imagined playing FC cricket on this board.

I played Yorkshire rep back in the day and still harbour some hopes of playing FC, though it isn't that likely. Hopefully I can do well in ECB Premier league or something like that when I'm older.
^Scored 185* once(IIRC).

PhoenixFire

International Coach
186* actually, impressed you remembered. That innings wasn't actually for Yorkshire, more some Bradford Schools tournament or something.

Langeveldt

Soutie
My story is one of little interest. Just so happened to combine insecurity, attitude problem and nerves with the ability to wang the ball down quicker than anyone else.

I still have the press clippings and trophy of being presented as 'Most Outstanding Talent in the County'. I played County U19s and Senior Schools Rep. Was at a county for a short time (never close to a first team game).

Pro'ed in a number of different leagues. Played Rep cricket around the World, played for South African National Club Champions etc

The kicker being there was a group of English guys training in SA and I was introduced as "This is Kev, he is English as well. You will not have heard of him but if he had looked after himself he could have been great" :@

Barely a week goes by without someone asking why I never made it. Im the only one who knows that it never was going to happen as I didnt have the mentality for it.

When I first played County rep cricket at 17 one of the coaches asked me "Where the hell have you been hiding? We could have used you for years"

my reply was simple and to the point

"Ive not been hiding, just you ****ers have been looking in the wrong place"

Talent is one thing but when you fear failure, are high maintainance and let tiny things bother you then long term success is never likely. Interestingly, I always assumed I was normal ie there were planty of people doing what I did and that I wasnt anything special. Only looking back do I realise that I had a bit extra. Just wish people had told me then rather than waiting until Im too fat, old and injured to do anything about it.

EDIT- My fear of failure manifested in never training. I never worked out a day in my life. Id practice a lot but no fitness or gym work for me. Why? Well it always made me feel that if I failed I had a semi decent reason ie lack of fitness and injuries rather than someone having the upper hand on me. Still amazed how far I went carrying that mentality.
Never a truer word spoken.. The holes in the wall in my club pavilion, the huge crack in the top of my helmet and the bat imprint in my bedroom wall stand testement to the fact I was never going to make it above high school first team..

PhoenixFire

International Coach
I think that is going to be the thing that will eventually stop me from being any good. Fear of doing badly and letting myself down. Not much I can do about it TBH.