• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CWers Playing at the Highest Level

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nah there a tonne of professional sportsmen who have this same feeling, I think it's part of what drives them to suceed. Just as an example, Jonny Wilkinson used to wake up in the middle of the night before as much as an U14s friendly game on a Sunday, he may not seem it when he plays, but he gets incredibly nervous and anxious about his performance.
May explain his only running the ball 4 times in his entire career :ph34r:
Hmm, I guess I do actually enjoy playing hockey when everything is at stake, often in the Yorkshire Premier League, so it is quite a high level. Not sure why it differs so much from hockey to cricket.
This is my sixth year of Premier cricket. Played two 2nd XI games for Victoria, well before I was ready. I think I have a bit of a black mark against my name because of my performances in those matches, but what can you do? Had my best season last year, took 38 wickets (10th in the competition) at about 25. Part of the "High Performance Academy" or whatever claptrap Cricket Victoria have renamed it this year.

I guess the one thing that I'm aware of is that as a spinner, there's still plenty of time and I'm still only 21. Have your good and bad seasons, learn more about your bowling and what works for you, and in three or four years I hope to be closer to having the game for the next level.
These two quotes and Goughy's superb post earlier on just got me to say to those who are young enough to still be a chance - Go for it. Do whatever you can to have a crack at it.

I know it sounds trite, and I'm not saying it's an easy thing to do. It's just that I know too many fellas who've woken up at 35-40, in a lot of different sports, and think to themselves "Jeez, I wonder what would have happened if........"

I've seen fellas at cricket who've smashed blokes who've gone on to bowl for NSW, or consistently troubled batsmen who've done the same. Likewise, I've seen soccer players who played with and regularly bettered at junior levels guys like Viduka and Kewell, but by the time they were in their mid-late 20s, were back playing for our club (we had a cracking side though!!!). Knew a bloke whose golf handcap was +3, so he had to shoot 3 under to make his handicap, and he didn't turn pro coz his girl didn't want him to travel.

Point is, these guys had, as Kev so eloquently put it "a bit extra", but for what ever reason didn't get that bit extra out of themselves. So, if possible, and you want to do it, then give yourself every chance you can to get there :). Better to try and know you couldn't do it than wake up in middle age and wonder what might have been.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
May explain his only running the ball 4 times in his entire career :ph34r:

These two quotes and Goughy's superb post earlier on just got me to say to those who are young enough to still be a chance - Go for it. Do whatever you can to have a crack at it.

I know it sounds trite, and I'm not saying it's an easy thing to do. It's just that I know too many fellas who've woken up at 35-40, in a lot of different sports, and think to themselves "Jeez, I wonder what would have happened if........"

I've seen fellas at cricket who've smashed blokes who've gone on to bowl for NSW, or consistently troubled batsmen who've done the same. Likewise, I've seen soccer players who played with and regularly bettered at junior levels guys like Viduka and Kewell, but by the time they were in their mid-late 20s, were back playing for our club (we had a cracking side though!!!). Knew a bloke whose golf handcap was +3, so he had to shoot 3 under to make his handicap, and he didn't turn pro coz his girl didn't want him to travel.

Point is, these guys had, as Kev so eloquently put it "a bit extra", but for what ever reason didn't get that bit extra out of themselves. So, if possible, and you want to do it, then give yourself every chance you can to get there :). Better to try and know you couldn't do it than wake up in middle age and wonder what might have been.
Wasting your time. As Baz Luhrmann put it "Enjoy the power and beauty of your youth; oh nevermind; you will not understand the power and beauty of your youth until they have faded. "

open365

International Vice-Captain
I guess I'd fall into the latter. I reckon I have the talent to do pretty well, but I couldn't handle the pressure or anything like that. I mean, I get really nervous before any type of match, not just the old rep games. I'd hate to think what I'd feel like in my first FC game....
Hmm, I guess I do actually enjoy playing hockey when everything is at stake, often in the Yorkshire Premier League, so it is quite a high level. Not sure why it differs so much from hockey to cricket.
If you know you do it and that it negatively affects your game, then have you tried to combat it?

I used to be a lot like you a few years ago, I was just incredibly nervous every time I batted, and it really sucked. I changed it though, I said to myself 'WTF, this is ********. I'm incredibly anxious that I might fail next time I bat, yet being so massively increases the chance that I will.'

For me, putting my feelings into a more logical perspective made me see how illogical my approach to the game was. And with practice, you can allivieate the negative thoughts/emotions you have, you may think 'Oh well it's in my head I can't do nowt about that', but that's not true. You are in charge of how you think, recognize the link between how you're feeling and how you perform, then realiaze that you are capable of changing it, then last of all, change it.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Hopefully Uni cricket this year. May lead to FC cricket if I'm good enough. Haven't played in year but it's at least 6 months away so plenty of time to get myself in shape and all that.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
How Irish are you vic, just out of curiousity? If you qualify for an EU passport you could be playing for us in 4 years... :p

Never even played for the school first XI myself, which always rankles slightly as I did for football & union. Both of which I was considerably better at, admittedly.
About four generations too late. At the Youth World Cup, one of the Irish coaching staff asked me about it.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, I know who Heath Davis is. I just fail to see the relevance to this forum when considering real members
Goughy is of course, correct in this matter. Contrary to unpopular and narrowly held misconception I am not the fast bowling demon that is Heath Davis.

However, and this is indeed a fact, I have represented New Zealand at cricket.

I make no apologies to those who have believed that I am Heath Davis. I may not have corrected them on this assumption, but at no point have I actually stated that "I Am Heath Davis"

Richard to reply showing that once in a drunken stupor that I did make that claim - but certainly in my memory, I don't recall saying that...

In other news, Sideshowtim banned again? What did he do this time?

Perm

Lol, secret is finally out. I knew from the time I spent on the Staff, but didn't want to unveil it.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Goughy is of course, correct in this matter. Contrary to unpopular and narrowly held misconception I am not the fast bowling demon that is Heath Davis.

However, and this is indeed a fact, I have represented New Zealand at cricket.

I make no apologies to those who have believed that I am Heath Davis. I may not have corrected them on this assumption, but at no point have I actually stated that "I Am Heath Davis"
:-O

You're not? So who is that Heath Davis lookalike who I met in the Petone Speight's Ale House a few weeks ago?

My belief in mankind is broken.

HeathDavisSpeed

Its easy to confuse us; given my curly blonde hair, boyish good looks and effeminate gait.

That and the Heath Davis passport that I printed out from MS Paint helps to convince people that I am the aging pace demon.