• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Good news for cricket lovers

itduzz

Banned
Shoiab, Asif named in 35 players list for Champions Trophy:)
9 Jul, 2008 , PTI
KARACHI: Controversial Pakistani pace duo of Shoaib Akhtar and Mohammad Asif got some reprieve after the national selectors included them in the shortlist of 35 players for the Champions Trophy, although the final decision on their participation rests on the Cricket Board.

Sources close to the selectors said that a shortlist of 35 players had been sent to the PCB out of which 30 would be approved for the tournament.

The International Cricket Council regulations state that all the participating teams have to submit names of 30 probable two months before the start of the tournament and the final 15 squad a month before the event.

"The selectors have included Shoaib and Asif because they believe that since there is much time left before the start of the Champions Trophy, they should not be ignored for selection," one source said.

"The selectors believe that if available they should play for Pakistan and strengthen the pace attack," he added.

However, there is still uncertainty about the duo's participation in the biennial event.

Shoaib is available for selection as the Lahore High Court has suspended his 18 months ban last week, at least until the court hears his writ petition scheduled for sometime in September.

But the PCB remains skeptical about the temperamental fast bowler's present fitness and ability to last out in a big tournament.

As far as Mohammad Asif is concerned PCB's three-man fact finding committee is yet to start their investigation behind his 19-days detention in Dubai over alleged possession of a contraband substance.

Though Asif was cleared by the public prosecutor in Dubai and repatriated to Pakistan without any charges, yet the board is facing a problem because his incident allegedly involves drugs and the ICC follows a zero tolerance policy in this regard.

A member of the fact finding committee said that they are yet to get the public prosecutors report on Asif's case but as soon as they get it, they would take a decision on it.

"It is obvious that the board has to first clear him of having possessed any drugs so that he can play in the Champions Trophy."

Pakistan's next assignment is said to be a Twenty20 competition in Toronto involving West Indies , Bangladesh and Canada but a board official conceded that the tour is still not final due to some sponsorship issues.

If the event is not held as planned in Toronto, it would mean Shoaib Malik-led side's next international assignment would be either a three match ODI series at home against New Zealand in late August or the Champions Trophy.

"It is a difficult situation for the selectors as they do also realise that without Shoaib and Asif the bowling attack is a bit weak specially if matches are against top teams," he said.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Isn't Shoaib banned for 2 year or something ? Or is that ban going to start after his retirement ?

Nishant

International 12th Man
In terms of cricket alone, this is good news as we're gonna have 2 world class bowlers available at the champions trophy! As for principle, well....no-one sticks to principles in cricket these days!! Things like this are full of politics, its just best to ignore them....at the end of the day, we all want the best for cricket...boards such as the PCB want whats best for themselves...

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Jesus. Akhtar cannot be killed. I think he has to stab Musharraf in the neck with ESPN camera's rolling while both Musharaf and Akhtar display their IDs and a newspaper article showing the date before he will actually be banned.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I can picture the headline already..

Akhtar ban deferred to the year 7510
If God's a-comin' he ought to make it by then

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Jesus. Akhtar cannot be killed. I think he has to stab Musharraf in the neck with ESPN camera's rolling while both Musharaf and Akhtar display their IDs and a newspaper article showing the date before he will actually be banned.
Ind33d.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Isn't Shoaib banned for 2 year or something ? Or is that ban going to start after his retirement ?
Just laughed so hard then.

TT is right, Akhtar is seriously invincible. No one can stop him playing except himself, and he does that enough anyway for people not to care when he gets off drug charges or whatever.

He's such a gun. What a story.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Just laughed so hard then.

TT is right, Akhtar is seriously invincible. No one can stop him playing except himself, and he does that enough anyway for people not to care when he gets off drug charges or whatever.

He's such a gun. What a story.
Hey I am not complaining. I was never in favor of the ban anyway. I never understood why he was banned in the first place. The joke was on PCB, not Akhtar, who has become one of my most favorite cricketer ever.

IMO, In today's Cricket, there is no better sight than Akhtar bowling full steam, He still has some cricket left in him. I just hope and wish that he makes the best use of that.