• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kapil Dev, the bowler

ret

International Debutant
overall 131 M, 434 W

in the
70s - 23M, 87W
80s - 80M, 272W
90s - 28M, 75W

away - 66M, 215W
home - 65M, 219 W

78-89 - 103M, 359W

how would you rate him?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
As India's finest Test seam-bowler. Were M Nissar and L Amar Singh better? Very possibly so, though of course they never got much of a Test career.

As far as Kapil's standing amongst seamers accross time is concerned... he was a good bowler, and no more than that. Not outstanding, but certainly good. Had he played for England or New Zealand, he might well have been fit to rank with the Bob Willises and Richard Collinges.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The list of bowlers with 300+ test wickets ranked by strike rate shows a very highly placed RGD Willis - Murali, Ambrose and Wasim are amongst those behind him - wouldn't have credited it myself - he must have been a better bowler than the one I remember from my youth

As for Kapil he went on far too long - if he had retired at his peak rather than well past it, or perhaps concentrated on his batting once his bowling stopped troubling quality batsmen, then he would probably be remembered with the same reverence as those he once competed with for the title of top allrounder

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The list of bowlers with 300+ test wickets ranked by strike rate shows a very highly placed RGD Willis - Murali, Ambrose and Wasim are amongst those behind him - wouldn't have credited it myself - he must have been a better bowler than the one I remember from my youth
Only thing that's held Bob Willis back for mine was the number of times he was collared by West Indies.

If he'd had more success against them, I'd have little hesitation in placing him at the top of the tree of seam-bowlers from this country.

ret

International Debutant
As far as Kapil's standing amongst seamers accross time is concerned... he was a good bowler, and no more than that. Not outstanding, but certainly good. Had he played for England or New Zealand, he might well have been fit to rank with the Bob Willises and Richard Collinges.
in Aus - 11M, 51W
in Eng - 13M, 43 W
in NZ - 7M, 15W
in WI - 9M, 35W
in SA - 4M, 8W

his record is good in Aus and WI but could have done better in Eng and NZ

was that because he was under-bowled by the captains, who may be relied on the spinners to do the job. i remember him having a good tour to Australia in '92 where he took 25 wkts in 5 tests and also reached 400 wkts

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
He was a good bowler and certainly currently unsurpassed by any other Indian.

Im sure some people will mention him doing well and playing a lot on batting and spin friendly tracks in India. That is true, but he also bowled far less per game in India than anywhere else. Sure his record looks great considering the conditions but it isnt as clear as that. What a pleasure it must have been to bowl mainly with the new ball and then sit back and watch the spinners work, occasionaly getting another spell and then a shout when the next new ball is due.

He certainly used the new ball well and got good movement and was very consistent throughtout his career until the obvious decline.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Kapil was good. But he always kept his best against the best. His highest number of Dismissals have come against Muddazar Nazar, Gooch, Border, Gower, Greenidge, Zaheer Abbas, Haynes, IVA Richards and Miandad. That wickets are not that cheap!

ret

International Debutant
Kapil was good. But he always kept his best against the best. His highest number of Dismissals have come against Muddazar Nazar, Gooch, Border, Gower, Greenidge, Zaheer Abbas, Haynes, IVA Richards and Miandad. That wickets are not that cheap!
in the 92 series in Australia, i recall Border saying that Kapil is the best bowler that he has faced

Capil was a pretty decent bowler keeping in view that he played almost half of his matches on dead and dusty wickets of India. He did a wonderful job for his country.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
'Good bowler' is a very apt description of his ability. Really great outswing. But overall, he wasn't much more than good.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Kapil Played a Total of 131 Tests.
In his first 60 Tests he took 18 5ers and 2 10ers. (Avg. 27.8, SR 54.1)
In last 71 tests he took only 5 fifers and Null 10ers.

Dissector

International Debutant
Kapil had really two careers as a bowler. Up till around 1984 he was magnicent, consisently taking wickets on lifeless pitches with almost no support at the other end. In particular he had some great performances with the ball against the West Indies in marked contrast to a certain Ian Botham. In this period IMO he was close to the level of the all-time great fast bowlers most of whom had much better support/pitches than Kapil. We should also note that Kapil came out of the blue in a country with almost no fast bowling tradition.

After 1984 he was an average bowler who didn't bowl all that much though he could produce special performances on the right tracks like in his final series in Australia.

If he played for,say, Australia his record would have been much better and I suspect he would be considered their third best quick after Lillee and McGrath in the last 35 years.

FRAZ

International Captain
'Good bowler' is a very apt description of his ability. Really great outswing. But overall, he wasn't much more than good.
His banana outswing was great and actually he was the best upper tailender to have in any team at that time . I remember that I read an old newspaper (found in the store room) when I was like 10 and a whole sports page was full of praise about him taking 5 or so wickets against Pakistan in Quetta some where around 1979 ,and made his team win the match . That made me think that he was a good bowler .

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Kapil had all the attributes of a great bowler. If he also had real pace he would have been at the top. He was still a very nippy fast medium when he came as a teenager and rocked the redoubtable Zaheer Abbas too.

People seem to forget that,

a) he realised that he had to bowl at least half his overs on Indian tracks so he needed to learn get the ball to do something laterally which he did both in the air and off the wicket and stayed within his pace

b) he had to bowl far too many overs for a frontline strike bowler. The great Indian spinners were on their last legs as he came in and soon he was both a strike bowler and a stock bowler. Cant think of many who have reached the very top with this huge constraint.

c) He badly lacked quality speed at the other end. By the time Srinath got going, Kapil was going downhill. His figures would have been much better (not that at his peak and with fifty percent of his bowling in India they are to be scoffed at) if Srinath was a more close contemporary. Its the same as reason why people are not able to appreciate Andy Roberts who lacked quality at the other end for a large part of his own 'peak'. Pace bowlers become hugely more effective in pairs or trios.

I have absolutely no doubt that if he was born in a country like Australia or South Africa he would have bowled faster and would have produced absolutely top drawer results.

But it is still less than fair to say that he was just a good bowler and nothing more.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Comparing bowling of Botham and Kapil shows interesting thing. They are very close with their bowling when it is adjusted to same proportions against each oppositions. Against common oppositions (Botham did not play ZIM and SAF), Kapil has better figures.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
As for Kapil he went on far too long - if he had retired at his peak rather than well past it, or perhaps concentrated on his batting once his bowling stopped troubling quality batsmen, then he would probably be remembered with the same reverence as those he once competed with for the title of top allrounder
1) Why would he retire in his peak?
2) Why would he retire when he still enjoyed playing cricket?
3) Why would he retire when his country still needed him?
4) Why would he concentrate on being a batsman when he was still one of the top fast bowlers in India, even when he wasn't as good as he once was?

Players don't base their retirement around statsguru.

You legacy to others is important, but not as important as one's own legacy to themselves.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Think the point is that if India's dearth of seam-bowling in the early-1990s wasn't so abysmally dear, Kapil would have been able to retire without going on so long past his outstanding time.

It should never be missed, really, that even at the very end of his career Kapil was still performing more than respectably. It's not like he averaged 40 in his last 30 Tests and only went on to claim the wickets record or anything.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
When Kapil retired, he was still the third best pace bowler in the country, after Javagal Srinath and Anil Kumble.