• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ICC $300 Million to lift world standards

Natman20

International Debutant
The International Cricket Council (ICC) will pump in around $300 million to develop the game worldwide, the governing body announced on Tuesday.

Haroon Lorgat, CEO of the ICC, described the initiative as "the biggest investment in global development by any sport outside football".

The ICC pledged around $40 million a year for seven years from 2009 to help its 94 associate and affiliate members, placed below the 10 test-playing teams...............

http://nz.sports.yahoo.com/cricket/news/article/-/4774758/icc-spend-300-million-lift-worldwide-standards

------------------------------------

Thats the first I have seen of this story so don't know if this is completely true.
Discuss:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Yup, I read it on cricinfo as well. Not a bad idea in principle, if it goes to the countries that might have a chance, like Kenya. And not Bermuda.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Dude what's with the Bermuda bashing?!:-O
Nothing. But there is no chance of them becoming a serious competitor with a population of 66,000. It would be a waste of money. Same thing for teams like Jersey - what future do they have exactly? Are they going to ever field an international class XI with 90,000 population? Nope.

But its the ICC so I'm not confident.

FRAZ

International Captain
Canada gave cricket a national status just recently which means that cricket will be entitled to regular federal funding .
USA is least likely to give or adapt cricket and I don't know what mentality they have .

Speersy

U19 Cricketer
How does the ICC get money out of the TV deals?
Do the companies have to pay a percentage of their profits to the ICC?

open365

International Vice-Captain
Nothing. But there is no chance of them becoming a serious competitor with a population of 66,000. It would be a waste of money. Same thing for teams like Jersey - what future do they have exactly? Are they going to ever field an international class XI with 90,000 population? Nope.

But its the ICC so I'm not confident.
AWTA

Especialy about not being confident the ICC will spend it well

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Like the intent, but no amount of money will be enough to cultivate the required cricketing culture needed for a minnow to step up to competitive ODI or Test team.

howardj

International Coach
I'd rather see it poured into improving the West Indies, New Zealand, Sri Lanka, Kenya etc.

Rather than USA, downtown Luxembourg and outer Mongolia.

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
hope the KNCB (dutch board) will get some money now, there is potential around and I think if more schools are approached you could maybe just maybe get a decent ODI side and work from there...

for now..Holland is falling hopelessly behind Ireland and Scotland as they do get fixtures against test countries :(

unccricket

School Boy/Girl Captain
i don't see why there is such an anti-US bias. i mean, sure the national board is crap, but there is a lot of cricket being played at the club level. Personally, I think we need additional funds to further the development of the game. To me, that means new cricket grounds and better developmental programs/systems.

Where I am, in North Carolina, we have 8-9 teams within a 10-15 mile radius who all share ONE ground. My university club doesn't even have a decent ground to play on. Would love to see a couple additional grounds in the area, but that is unlikely to happen without outside help.

I concede the point that a lot of US cricketers are expats, but there is still youth cricket going on well and that should be fostered. The biggest hurdle though is the national board

Athlai

Not Terrible
Like the intent, but no amount of money will be enough to cultivate the required cricketing culture needed for a minnow to step up to competitive ODI or Test team.
DWTA

Money lures talent, talent brings class. Well some places may not have a large enough population to supply this talent, but hey you'd think a multi-billion dollar company would figure that out!

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
DWTA

Money lures talent, talent brings class. Well some places may not have a large enough population to supply this talent, but hey you'd think a multi-billion dollar company would figure that out!
What about visibility and active competition. Associates need to have their national teams laying regular high profile mayches to draw in the kids. After all nobody wants to play to a team nobody gets to see or is maligned for being a soft target to mailce.

open365

I'd rather see it poured into improving the West Indies, New Zealand, Sri Lanka, Kenya etc.

Rather than USA, downtown Luxembourg and outer Mongolia.
Can't wait to see the Downtown Luxembourg V Rural Luxembourg 5 match test series epic in 2015.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Can't wait to see the Downtown Luxembourg V Rural Luxembourg 5 match test series epic in 2015.

Oh come on lets be a little bit serious here!!:dry:

Obviously that's not going to happen (the Luxembourg thing) but there has to be some purchase to the idea that Ireland v. Scotland or Kenya v.Bangladesh or Namibia v. Uganda could all develop into viable and higly competitive test match series if given the right sort of investment.

laksh_01

State Vice-Captain
Come On Guys there is nothing wrong in expanding the game! It gets boring to see the game played only between 8 Nations.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
But it doesn't, really.

Yeah, if cricket can eventually have Bangladesh, Kenya, Holland, Canada, Namibia, Uganda, Afghanistan and who knows where else playing regular competetive international cricket - great. But if it can't, it's not the end of The World. The game is juuuuuuuuuuuust fine with only 8 serious teams.

Agree that this money would be best spent on some of the boards around which we hear so regularly are cash-strapped. And have domestic systems that are routinely denounced as shocking-quality. Rather than throwing it into black-holes. Which Zimbabwe obviously currently is and Bermuda, of course, is.

BTW, probably even more ridiculous the idea of Guernsey, Jersey and the Isle Of Man being separate teams than Scotland and Ireland. Honestly, how far will I$C$C go to create the illusion of expansion?

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
But it doesn't, really.

Yeah, if cricket can eventually have Bangladesh, Kenya, Holland, Canada, Namibia, Uganda, Afghanistan and who knows where else playing regular competetive international cricket - great. But if it can't, it's not the end of The World. The game is juuuuuuuuuuuust fine with only 8 serious teams.

What do you mean its okay for teams outside your sacred 8 playing regular International cricket without being serious about it?:dry:

That my friend is a poor attitude...

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The game will survive if we retain just the 8 powerful teams we currently have.

Of course, it would be better still if more teams could in time be elevated to such a level. But, as Matthew Engel said a few years ago, "it is time to stop wrecking the game we do have in the vain pursuit of the one we don't".

If teams look like they can build a cricket culture in a new country, superb. But too many are under the illusion that it can and will be done in many cases. This is far from guaranteed. We should not expect that there will one day be more Test-strength teams. We should work toward it wherever it appears possible (such as in the aforementioned, by me, cases) but we should not simply blindly dive into it the way I$C$C have done and presume that as long as we throw capital the way of countries they will eventually get better.

Jungle Jumbo

Throw it all at Bangladesh and Kenya and make sure it's spent properly. Only those two have a population and appetite for cricket big enough to make it worthwhile.