• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ICC $300 Million to lift world standards

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
The game will survive if we retain just the 8 powerful teams we currently have.

Of course, it would be better still if more teams could in time be elevated to such a level. But, as Matthew Engel said a few years ago, "it is time to stop wrecking the game we do have in the vain pursuit of the one we don't".

If teams look like they can build a cricket culture in a new country, superb. But too many are under the illusion that it can and will be done in many cases. This is far from guaranteed. We should not expect that there will one day be more Test-strength teams. We should work toward it wherever it appears possible (such as in the aforementioned, by me, cases) but we should not simply blindly dive into it the way I$C$C have done and presume that as long as we throw capital the way of countries they will eventually get better.

I disagree with you there again. I think that it would be incredibly wasteful of the ICC to either assume that 8 test quality teams is enough to get on because it would be wasting all the talent there is in the rst of the cricketing world. besides what's the point of saying that thers is enough potential to make an inverstment in certain countries yet not include the self same countries wi same expectation that got thye current 8 Test teams where they are now today. It would be like giving someone driving lessons without expecting them to becopme good enough to pass a driving test.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
But it doesn't, really.

Yeah, if cricket can eventually have Bangladesh, Kenya, Holland, Canada, Namibia, Uganda, Afghanistan and who knows where else playing regular competetive international cricket - great. But if it can't, it's not the end of The World. The game is juuuuuuuuuuuust fine with only 8 serious teams.

Agree that this money would be best spent on some of the boards around which we hear so regularly are cash-strapped. And have domestic systems that are routinely denounced as shocking-quality. Rather than throwing it into black-holes. Which Zimbabwe obviously currently is and Bermuda, of course, is.

BTW, probably even more ridiculous the idea of Guernsey, Jersey and the Isle Of Man being separate teams than Scotland and Ireland. Honestly, how far will I$C$C go to create the illusion of expansion?
Less so actually, as they are in many ways more politically independent than Scotland and the Northern part of Ireland. Particularly the IOM. Certainly, none of them are a part of the United Kingdom.

But let's not go there :p

I don't mind how this money gets spent as long as it ain't wasted. I'm not clamouring for any more Test nations, as five year gaps between playing South Africa at home seems long enough. It would be great if we could have a few more competitive ODI nations as there is the space in the calendar for that, IMO.

whitedazzler

School Boy/Girl Captain
Nothing. But there is no chance of them becoming a serious competitor with a population of 66,000. It would be a waste of money. Same thing for teams like Jersey - what future do they have exactly? Are they going to ever field an international class XI with 90,000 population? Nope.

But its the ICC so I'm not confident.
think i read somewhere that most of the guys in bermuda aren't allowed to play cricket because of drug testing or something along those lines, few pot smokers over there apparently.

dro87

U19 12th Man
must be a couple of years since my last post-- but i've still be a regualar reader!
just found this post intresting so i thought i should give my point of view.

Coming from an Associate country i think ICC sould invest even more money-
Italy stared playing seroius cricket only 30 years ago-- Today we have over 3 leagues (serie a,b,c) under13-15-17-19-23 t20 cup which means over 5000 recorded players

Yes of course lots of the plaers are of asian discent or origin, but the game is always becoming more popular in italy.

This year the IPL was showed on ITALIAN SKY TV (italian commentary) which certanly helped the spreading..

The easyest way to get cricket BIG in italy would be getting it in the Olmypics-- Hopefully in India 2020 the will include it.

Italy having play the game for only 3 decades in nearly on par with the big european countries such as "Ireland, holand, denmark scotland" who have at least 100 years cricket expirence..

Italy has 2 big problems:
1. Grounds (In italy 80% of sport grounds for football use)
2. Schools (NO school system which means kids come only from club system)

Thanks to ICC funding ITaly two years ago stared it's cricket academy--- Really got project IMO maybe not working so well but still.

I've personally been to 3 ECC european cricket camps (now they are called center of excellence) 4 days cricket-- It's really a good opportunity for juniores to improve thanx 2 expirienced coaches and world class facilities---

Only with the ICC funding italy (like th rest of the world) can one day make it to a higher level!

leandro

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
This year the IPL was showed on ITALIAN SKY TV (italian commentary) which certanly helped the spreading..
Thats pretty cool.

Ive often thought that ICC should make 'ICC Cricket World' available to countries for free and pay for the different language voiceovers, obviously on the condition they show it.

Catching something on TV makes a big impact.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
must be a couple of years since my last post-- but i've still be a regualar reader!
just found this post intresting so i thought i should give my point of view.

Coming from an Associate country i think ICC sould invest even more money-
Italy stared playing seroius cricket only 30 years ago-- Today we have over 3 leagues (serie a,b,c) under13-15-17-19-23 t20 cup which means over 5000 recorded players

Yes of course lots of the plaers are of asian discent or origin, but the game is always becoming more popular in italy.

The easyest way to get cricket BIG in italy would be getting it in the Olmypics-- Hopefully in India 2020 the will include it.

Italy having play the game for only 3 decades in nearly on par with the big european countries such as "Ireland, holand, denmark scotland" who have at least 100 years cricket expirence..

Italy has 2 big problems:
1. Grounds (In italy 80% of sport grounds for football use)
2. Schools (NO school system which means kids come only from club system)

Thanks to ICC funding ITaly two years ago stared it's cricket academy--- Really got project IMO maybe not working so well but still.

I've personally been to 3 ECC european cricket camps (now they are called center of excellence) 4 days cricket-- It's really a good opportunity for juniores to improve thanx 2 expirienced coaches and world class facilities---

Only with the ICC funding italy (like th rest of the world) can one day make it to a higher level!

leandro
Hey mate.

You met Peter Petricola or Carl Sandri? I think they are both qualified/qualifying to play for Italy.

laksh_01

State Vice-Captain
The exact point is, wat can we expect from this funding? Can we watch regular Int cricket with full squad from top associates? Atleast Ireland, Kenya & Scotland? I feel there is no need to play top 8 teams, playing matches & touring equally ranked teams can also generate interest.
For Expamle: Regular tours between B.Desh, Zim, Ireland, Kenya & Scotland should be planned! They slowly start getting interesting.

Last edited:

brockley

International Captain
Lak zimbabwe will have a problem playing a lot of the associate countries because they have bans already on zimbabwe,about only namibia and bermdua don't.

dro87

U19 12th Man
Hey mate.

You met Peter Petricola or Carl Sandri? I think they are both qualified/qualifying to play for Italy.
Small world eh?
Peter's registered with our club, but now is playing club cricket in some english leauge, he'll be playing the twenty 20 cup this september with us! He was one of the assistan t coaches used at the Italian Cricket Academy. I've met Carl in november (in melbourne) he was supposed to come in Italy, but time was an issue because to qualify even havin an Italian passport you need to spend 180 days pior to the tournament getting envoleved in the development of Italian cricket-

dro87

U19 12th Man
Thats pretty cool.

Ive often thought that ICC should make 'ICC Cricket World' available to countries for free and pay for the different language voiceovers, obviously on the condition they show it.

Catching something on TV makes a big impact.
Great point there- ICC Cricket Wolrd is only a 5 minute program--- I think it's showed in over 100 countries but not in Italy--- why??

dro87

U19 12th Man
The exact point is, wat can we expect from this funding? Can we watch regular Int cricket with full squad from top associates? Atleast Ireland, Kenya & Scotland? I feel there is no need to play top 8 teams, playing matches & touring equally ranked teams can also generate interest.
For Expamle: Regular tours between B.Desh, Zim, Ireland, Kenya & Scotland should be planned! They slowly start getting interesting.

Yes these types of tours would improve the standart of cricket, but not the countrys (media) attention. Associates get their "big" moment in cricket only when participating at the WC-- MOre teams should be allowed in and a real qualifying system should be put in.. Even test team should qualify to get into the World Cup---