• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Preparing a cricket bat!

marcyboy

Cricket Spectator
Right folks, heres the thing.
I have prepared several cricket bats with linseed oil. Now after my Dad made a mockery out of my latest bat with EvoStick glue, he insists that after i sand my bat as normal, i apply several coats of clear varnish. So the question is, stick to my guns and go for linseed or agree with my dad(who is adimant he is correct) and apply clear varnish.:unsure:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Reckon this thread might be better in CF (Coaching Forum) than Cricket Chat. Ask a mod to move it if you'd prefer it there.

DCC_legend

International Regular
Whatever you do, don't put Glue or Varnish on it. That'll completely destroy the subtlety of the wood and drastically decrease the life of the bat. You do know how to 'knock a bat in', don't you? I.e with a Hammer or a Cricket Ball in a sock?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I have prepared several cricket bats with linseed oil. Now after my Dad made a mockery out of my latest bat with EvoStick glue, he insists that after i sand my bat as normal, i apply several coats of clear varnish. So the question is, stick to my guns and go for linseed or agree with my dad(who is adimant he is correct) and apply clear varnish.:unsure:
Is your Dad American or Chinese ?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Slightly OT, but a mate of mine picked up 2 bats from a guy who makes some sticks in India. They certainly look ok, he got 'em off ebay. Paid $25 bucks for the two of em and about $130 for the shippage to Australia.
I'm thinking of doing the same thing - CBF paying $500 for a new stick since my sponsorship ran out :p.
Reckon it's worth the effort?

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
No varnish. The power from cricket bats derives from the smooth transition between the impact wave and the response wave from the toe of the bat. Varnish will kill that. Your bat will look finished and, as far as its use as a bat, be finished.

FRAZ

International Captain
I used to apply the oil on my bat with a piece of cloth and I always let it stand for like a day or two then after that applied the same oil again for like 3 times repeatedly .

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Slightly OT, but a mate of mine picked up 2 bats from a guy who makes some sticks in India. They certainly look ok, he got 'em off ebay. Paid $25 bucks for the two of em and about $130 for the shippage to Australia.
I'm thinking of doing the same thing - CBF paying $500 for a new stick since my sponsorship ran out :p.
Reckon it's worth the effort?
If you are going to get two bats for $25 in India then I can assure you they are not made from English willow in which case they are not likely to be very good.

Lots of kids in India use the Kashmir willow bats either because they cant afford English willow or because they play only with tennis balls.