View Poll Results: Who do you think is the most promising up and coming left arm spinner ?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pragyan Ojha

7 41.18%
  • Beau Casson

3 17.65%
  • Enamul Haque Jr

1 5.88%
  • Other (please specify)

6 35.29%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Most promising left arm spinner

U19 12th Man

Most promising left arm spinner

I have left out Panesar as I believe he has already proved himself the best left arm spinner in international cricket at this point.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    First person to quote the OP and say "Vettori" wins a free membership of the RSAS
    "It was an easy decision to sign. I could have gone elsewhere, I had calls, but it never entered my mind it's not about the money."
    Jason Koumas

SWA

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

First Class Debutant
    Murali karthik .

U19 12th Man
    I voted for Enamul, although he has been around since 2004 and still has not proved his worth. I believe he is an intelligent spinner with plenty of variations (for an SLA). He could have done lot better had he played under a captain with some imagination (unfortunately, Bangladesh is still far from finding any such captain).

International Vice-Captain open365's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by funnygirl View Post
    Murali karthik .
    Kartik looks to be a perfect 2020 spinner, and from what i've seen of him in England it's a great shame he's never made it at international level because he looks an absolute dream when he's bowling well. Given that he's 31, he doesn't have much hope of making it at ODI/test match level anymore.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Certainly not Beau Casson. Haque Jnr was always very poor last I saw him so he'll have to have got better to be any use; and don't know the first thing about this Ojha fellow.

Oh, and Murali Kartik - very poor bowler, possibly more due to his mind than his fingers and arms. I've heard him say he "doesn't like bowling on turning pitches" just because he's got some tap on them before now.

I mean, if you're turning your only strength into a weakness by disliking it, you're clearly frazzled in the mind.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Efaz View Post
    I have left out Panesar as I believe he has already proved himself the best left arm spinner in international cricket at this point.
    Direbirds FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Wellington will win the whole thing next year. Mark my words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I'll offer up my avatar to Athlai forever if Wellington wins the Champions League.
    President of T.I.T.S
    Tamim Is Talented Society

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    This poll has made me realise just how grim times are becoming for left-arm spin.

Nah, not left-arm spin, just spin. Spin has always been on dodgy ground since wickets were covered in this country. Only top-class wristspinners (which are rarer than full eclipses of the Moon) can be outstanding bowlers in all countries these days, the days of the fingerspinner being able to have widespread success are long-gone. There was little in the way of widely successful spin between about 1974 and 1992. Then Warne and Murali, two of the best spinners ever (possibly THE best two spinners ever), both appeared at the same time and the difficulties facing most spinners were forgotten for a long time.

Fully expect, if Ajantha Mendis turns-out as good as he's started-out, that he'll be the only decent spinner once Murali leaves the game. If Mendis gets figured-out, barring someone else turning-up out of nowhere, spin will return to the sort of status it occupied in the aforementioned period - mostly useless.

It's quite amazing that a spinner is ranked number 1 for ODIs, though. Refusing to state his name to avoid getting into a heated debate with the starter of this thread.

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    It's quite amazing that a spinner is ranked number 1 for ODIs, though. Refusing to state his name to avoid getting into a heated debate with the starter of this thread.
    TBH he's second now, Bracken replaced him.

Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Yeah really good spinners of the right type can be excellent ODI bowlers.

Funny thing is, though, Vettori is almost one of a kind. You almost never see bowlers who are as quick-witted and capable of changing (whether on quick-witted-ness or premeditation) deliveries ball after ball. Robert Croft, for a time, was of the same ilk, but he's lost it completely in recent years, been smashed every season since 2003.

Most of the unusually-good one-day spinners (in the modern, post-1990, era at least - in the 1970s and 1980s there was more scope for spinners to be good OD bowlers) are either big-spinning but still really accurate wristspinners (Murali, Warne) or really fast, flat negligable-spinners (Kumble circa 1989-1999, Dharmasena) or Doosra-bowling, well-flighted fingerspinners (Saqlain, Harbhajan).

Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    TBH he's second now, Bracken replaced him.
    Bracken as a seamer > Bracken as a spinner.

Starting to think Bracken is over-using these Breaks (they're Off-Breaks or Leg-Breaks depending on whether you're right- or left-hander). He's also not getting enough overs at the start of a game lately.

U19 12th Man
    IMO, left arm spinners are never really that thrilling. Even legends like Vettori and Bedi has strike rates around 80, suggesting they are not that great as wicket takers. I rate Panesar so high because he is one of very few SLAs in modern era who has a strike rate in 60s. There is no point comparing this brand of spinners with likes of Murali and Warne.

Regardless of whether you believe Panesar to be better than Vettori (he isn't), it probably wasn't a good idea to say he'd proved himself to be the best at the start of a thread where it isn't what you want to be discussing.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information