• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most promising left arm spinner

Who do you think is the most promising up and coming left arm spinner ?

• Total voters

Efaz

U19 12th Man
I have left out Panesar as I believe he has already proved himself the best left arm spinner in international cricket at this point.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
First person to quote the OP and say "Vettori" wins a free membership of the RSAS

Efaz

U19 12th Man
I voted for Enamul, although he has been around since 2004 and still has not proved his worth. I believe he is an intelligent spinner with plenty of variations (for an SLA). He could have done lot better had he played under a captain with some imagination (unfortunately, Bangladesh is still far from finding any such captain).

open365

International Vice-Captain
Murali karthik . :unsure:
Kartik looks to be a perfect 2020 spinner, and from what i've seen of him in England it's a great shame he's never made it at international level because he looks an absolute dream when he's bowling well. Given that he's 31, he doesn't have much hope of making it at ODI/test match level anymore.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Certainly not Beau Casson. Haque Jnr was always very poor last I saw him so he'll have to have got better to be any use; and don't know the first thing about this Ojha fellow.

Oh, and Murali Kartik - very poor bowler, possibly more due to his mind than his fingers and arms. I've heard him say he "doesn't like bowling on turning pitches" just because he's got some tap on them before now.

I mean, if you're turning your only strength into a weakness by disliking it, you're clearly frazzled in the mind.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This poll has made me realise just how grim times are becoming for left-arm spin.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Nah, not left-arm spin, just spin. Spin has always been on dodgy ground since wickets were covered in this country. Only top-class wristspinners (which are rarer than full eclipses of the Moon) can be outstanding bowlers in all countries these days, the days of the fingerspinner being able to have widespread success are long-gone. There was little in the way of widely successful spin between about 1974 and 1992. Then Warne and Murali, two of the best spinners ever (possibly THE best two spinners ever), both appeared at the same time and the difficulties facing most spinners were forgotten for a long time.

Fully expect, if Ajantha Mendis turns-out as good as he's started-out, that he'll be the only decent spinner once Murali leaves the game. If Mendis gets figured-out, barring someone else turning-up out of nowhere, spin will return to the sort of status it occupied in the aforementioned period - mostly useless.

Uppercut

It's quite amazing that a spinner is ranked number 1 for ODIs, though. Refusing to state his name to avoid getting into a heated debate with the starter of this thread.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's quite amazing that a spinner is ranked number 1 for ODIs, though. Refusing to state his name to avoid getting into a heated debate with the starter of this thread.
Yeah really good spinners of the right type can be excellent ODI bowlers.

Funny thing is, though, Vettori is almost one of a kind. You almost never see bowlers who are as quick-witted and capable of changing (whether on quick-witted-ness or premeditation) deliveries ball after ball. Robert Croft, for a time, was of the same ilk, but he's lost it completely in recent years, been smashed every season since 2003.

Most of the unusually-good one-day spinners (in the modern, post-1990, era at least - in the 1970s and 1980s there was more scope for spinners to be good OD bowlers) are either big-spinning but still really accurate wristspinners (Murali, Warne) or really fast, flat negligable-spinners (Kumble circa 1989-1999, Dharmasena) or Doosra-bowling, well-flighted fingerspinners (Saqlain, Harbhajan).

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
TBH he's second now, Bracken replaced him.
Bracken as a seamer > Bracken as a spinner.

Starting to think Bracken is over-using these Breaks (they're Off-Breaks or Leg-Breaks depending on whether you're right- or left-hander). He's also not getting enough overs at the start of a game lately.

Efaz

U19 12th Man
IMO, left arm spinners are never really that thrilling. Even legends like Vettori and Bedi has strike rates around 80, suggesting they are not that great as wicket takers. I rate Panesar so high because he is one of very few SLAs in modern era who has a strike rate in 60s. There is no point comparing this brand of spinners with likes of Murali and Warne.

Uppercut

Regardless of whether you believe Panesar to be better than Vettori (he isn't), it probably wasn't a good idea to say he'd proved himself to be the best at the start of a thread where it isn't what you want to be discussing.

Laurrz

International Debutant
Bracken as a seamer > Bracken as a spinner.

Starting to think Bracken is over-using these Breaks (they're Off-Breaks or Leg-Breaks depending on whether you're right- or left-hander). He's also not getting enough overs at the start of a game lately.
I think its mainly because of the pitches he's bowled on lately
either very flat or subcontinental like..

and very ordinary list - dont know why i picked casson :P any reason why these guys were selected there coz Monty is young and clearly the best up and coming SLA
might as well add in Abdur Razzak in there and Nikita Miller

Efaz

U19 12th Man
Regardless of whether you believe Panesar to be better than Vettori (he isn't), it probably wasn't a good idea to say he'd proved himself to be the best at the start of a thread where it isn't what you want to be discussing.
I thought I should give a reason why Panesar's name is not in the poll, since he is also a relative newcomer in international stage. I believe he is better than Vettori, you don't - there is nothing to get excited about.

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
as a left arm spinner and a person who is coached my the best left arm spin coach in the world....Vettori is the best left arm spinner around, Panesar a very very good second.

Vettori has the angles, can turn and do everything that is expected of a spinner and more(He can bat)
Panesar drops to much a time into mediocricy (is that a word...well you know what I mean)
and I do not agree about ' there is nothing to get excited about' the only reason Panesar is ' exciting' is because he is hyped a lot!
Vettori is a better bowler and a better cricketer overall.