• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sri Lanka agree to tour England in 2009

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Sri Lanka agree to tour England in 2009.

ITSTL there - not sorry to have SL come once again at all, even though it was just 2 years (as of now) that they were last here, as it took such a long time for them to tour England properly ITFP. But I'm truly astonished this can be fitted-in what with this Twenty20 tournament AND The Ashes.

Schedule:
21-23 April v Leicestershire, Leicester
25-27 April v Essex, Chelmsford
29 April-3 May v England Lions, Derby
7-11 May First Test, Lord's
15-19 May Second Test, Chester-le-Street
21 May v Somerset, Taunton
24 May First one-day international, Bristol
27 May Second one-day international, Edgbaston
30 May Third one-day international, Headingley

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Looking at that, it's frightfully unusual, and the first time I can recall since 2000 that someone has played more warm-up games than Tests. :-O Although the England A game is bound to be mis-penned, as it's down there as being scheduled for five days. Hopefully it'll be four rather than three.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Looking at that, it's frightfully unusual, and the first time I can recall since 2000 that someone has played more warm-up games than Tests. :-O Although the England A game is bound to be mis-penned, as it's down there as being scheduled for five days. Hopefully it'll be four rather than three.
Absurd is not absurd in cricket :laugh:

Mahindinho

State Vice-Captain
Indeed :)

I think it'll be an excellent series for SL -- three warm-up games in April/May mean that at least one won't be rained off, and the seaming conditions will be great experience for the (relative) youngsters.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Two-test series are a joke but I can make a concession for it this time, I guess.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Another 2-Test series meh. Still plan to watch an overseas Sri Lankan Test in the next couple years. Lords sound good to me. Might catch Man Utd winning the UCL again as well.

brockley

International Captain
What about IPL,wouldn't that take preference over the england tour,both are on at the same time :wacko: Could be 1 weak srilankan touring party.
If not the IPL will miss a lot of lankan players as well as aussies.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
What about IPL,wouldn't that take preference over the england tour,both are on at the same time :wacko: Could be 1 weak srilankan touring party.
My first thought when I saw 3 warmups was "That is to **** with the IPL"

I could be wrong but it now gives ECB leverage. An England tour is a massive carrot so no issue with Sri Lanka. Now England can use a warm up game or 2 as a negotiating tool.

I hate the politics, but when you play with snakes I dont think you can be afraid to bite back.

As I said I could be wrong, its just how it looked at first glance. I dont claim any inside knowledge.

Craig

World Traveller
Well Sri Lanka would have first perferance over the IPL.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
My first thought when I saw 3 warmups was "That is to **** with the IPL"

I could be wrong but it now gives ECB leverage. An England tour is a massive carrot so no issue with Sri Lanka. Now England can use a warm up game or 2 as a negotiating tool.

I hate the politics, but when you play with snakes I dont think you can be afraid to bite back.

As I said I could be wrong, its just how it looked at first glance. I dont claim any inside knowledge.
Don't think it's the Lankan board you have to worry about, it's the players who'd probably prefer the IPL money than 3 warm ups. Could see them do a McCullum and Oram and miss a couple of warm ups.

As for this being a huge carrot to dangle, it's true but India have done plenty for Sri Lanka in the past and are touring there next week specifically to help them out financially so I doubt anything England do would convince Lanka to stick two fingers up to BCCI so to speak.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Reckon it is bonus that the IPL and tour matches clash. Our top players will play in the IPL. Most have been on a couple English tours or played country cricket so they don't need to adapt as much. But the fringe players and new players will get a decent hit out in English conditions before the Test series.

Mahindinho

State Vice-Captain
Reckon it is bonus that the IPL and tour matches clash. Our top players will play in the IPL. Most have been on a couple English tours or played country cricket so they don't need to adapt as much. But the fringe players and new players will get a decent hit out in English conditions before the Test series.
Just what I was about to say. In my earlier excitement, I didn't twig about it clashing with the IPL.

Of course, experienced players should be able to fly in after the warm-up games, if required.

Only two Tests, I know, but that's far better than nothing! After all, it's a replacement for the Zimbabwe series (would you really want 3 or 5 boring one-sided Tests?) rather than being planned as a proper series from the start.

Especially when you consider how rarely SL have visited England in the past.

sideshowtim

Banned
Why are Sri Lanka being treated like a woeful Test side who are only worth 2 Tests against bigger nations? It's a complete joke IMO.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
In this case it is because they have replaced Zimbabwe, who I am sure you will agree only deserved two tests. If we give Sri Lanka any more, then we have to reduce the length of the Ashes, is that what you want? :p

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
SL always seem to put their hands up when another team's tour is cancelled - we had them in NZ three summers in a row. Won't complain about that, SL are always a pleasure to play against.

It is a shame they couldn't get an extra Test though.

Chubb

International Regular
Why are Sri Lanka being treated like a woeful Test side who are only worth 2 Tests against bigger nations? It's a complete joke IMO.
I doubt there would have only been 2 tests had it not been for the 2020 WC and the Ashes. And the Sri Lankans have agreed to the schedule, realising this.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Because that's the way circumstances have conspired. It's not a deliberate "let's give SL two Tests only" case, from anyone.