Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oldest 'Fast' Bowler

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!

Oldest 'Fast' Bowler

Having recently watched Darren Gough bowling over 90mph at the age of 38 (I think), who has been the oldest bowler to bowl at over 90mph?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    To be clocked at over 90mph, I'd imagine Gough - if he truly has. I'm rather surprised if so TBH - the games I've seen this season he's been around 82-83mph.

I can't imagine anyone else has bowled at 90mph at such an age in such a short timespan as the 10 years that timing technology has existed. We'll never know whether anyone did before timing technology, obviously.

Michael Holding reached 86mph at the age of 47 in 2001 in a Sky Sports commentators pace challenge, however. Which is, TSTL, fairly impressive.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Jesus Christ, that is rather imressive. I wonder at what age I will be able to bowl faster than Holding..

still scratching around in the same old hole
    Even with my limited access to cricket I have seen Gough go over 90 mph this season.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

When I last saw Gough bowl a couple of years ago, his problem was not pace but the fact that he didnt move the ball at all.

Unlike guys like Lillee, who compensated for a drop in pace with increased variation, he totally lacked in the latter

School Boy/Girl Captain TheEpic's Avatar
    Yep, have seen Gough touch 90mph on multiple occasions this summer. Not bad for an old, fat bloke.
    Ponting is made out of hay. Lolz!

First Class Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    To be clocked at over 90mph, I'd imagine Gough - if he truly has. I'm rather surprised if so TBH - the games I've seen this season he's been around 82-83mph.

I can't imagine anyone else has bowled at 90mph at such an age in such a short timespan as the 10 years that timing technology has existed. We'll never know whether anyone did before timing technology, obviously.

Michael Holding reached 86mph at the age of 47 in 2001 in a Sky Sports commentators pace challenge, however. Which is, TSTL, fairly impressive.
    ,what a man .

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Seriously? Very impressive.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

still scratching around in the same old hole
    Source?

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Big Dev Malcolm was sill regularly up in the 90s in his late 30s, so he'd probably get my vote.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

Cricketer Of The Year four_or_six's Avatar
    Yes, I saw Gough live at the weekend in the FP semi, and he was clocked over 90mph, off not such a long run either.

Hoggard, by comparison, ran in miles and was clocked slower than Bopara and ten Doeschate. And looked pretty awful. For the first time I haven't been a bit horrified at him no longer playing in the England team.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixFire View Post
    Having recently watched Darren Gough bowling over 90mph at the age of 38 (I think), who has been the oldest bowler to bowl at over 90mph?
    Ottis Gibson last year.

International Vice-Captain open365's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by four_or_six View Post
    Yes, I saw Gough live at the weekend in the FP semi, and he was clocked over 90mph, off not such a long run either.

Hoggard, by comparison, ran in miles and was clocked slower than Bopara and ten Doeschate. And looked pretty awful. For the first time I haven't been a bit horrified at him no longer playing in the England team.
    Yeh I picked up on that too, he's never been a very good Limited overs player I don't think so I hope he's bowling better in the 4-day game, but he's looked really awful on his TV outings with Yorkshire this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    Source?
    I didn't record it, unfortunately. I would've done if I'd realised just how remarkable the results were going to be.

Quote Originally Posted by open365 View Post
    Yeh I picked up on that too, he's never been a very good Limited overs player I don't think so I hope he's bowling better in the 4-day game, but he's looked really awful on his TV outings with Yorkshire this year.
    Worrying thing is, his one-day bowling for Yorkshire has usually not been the worst. He's well short of ODI-standard and has been all career, but domestically he's usually done pretty well.

Of course, how he's bowling in one-day cricket is largely irrelevant to how he's bowling in First-Class cricket and he's obviously done well this year in the First-Class game. People bowl "within" themselves in the one-day game all the time.

Thing is, though, people have been saying for a while now that Hoggard's lost speed. I've not seen a decent breakdown of his paces for quite a while now, but it'd be interesting to see how true it was.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information