• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** English Domestic Season 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
haha what? Have you ever been to Somerset? Okay Taunton is a nasty town, but it's definitely a beautiful area

Been there loads of times, I once caught a six hit by Joel Garner, that always felt a bit ironic considering Viv and Both both played on most occasions that I visited Taunton.

brockley

International Captain
A lot of players to miss the start of the season with IPL up to 6 weeks.

Next Story | Previous Story | Back to list

PCB to clarify policy on county deals
00:34 - 12 February 2008

The Pakistan Cricket Board are to review their policy on internationals playing for English county sides.

A PCB executive board meeting is scheduled for March 8, when more strict guidelines are expected to be unveiled.

County side Glamorgan have expressed their interest in Shahid Afridi for Twenty20 fixtures but the PCB have decided not to release the all-rounder until the new policy is declared.

Shafqat Naghmi, the PCB's chief operating officer, confirmed a report was being prepared by the board's director of cricket operations, Zakir Khan, to be presented in the meeting, putting forward the pros and cons of sending players for county stints.

Naghmi told The News: "Zakir is working on the report and we are looking forward to settling this issue at the next executive board meeting.

"It is the executive board that would decide whether we could be lenient in awarding permission for county stint."

This is not the first time the PCB have intervened in the issue.

Paceman Rao Iftikhar Anjum was recently denied permission to sign a deal with Glamorgan, while fellow quicks Mohammad Asif and Umar Gul were advised to abandon thoughts of any county stints.

The new policy will also decide whether leg-spinner Danish Kaneria can play for Essex in the upcoming county season.

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
Also, another addition to my predictions and things to watch out for - Moeen Ali and Steve Davies. Both could possibly push for an ODI spot and if England have any sense of planning, they would do what India are doing now and pool a group of quality young players and hone their skills for the next WC.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Also, another addition to my predictions and things to watch out for - Moeen Ali and Steve Davies. Both could possibly push for an ODI spot and if England have any sense of planning, they would do what India are doing now and pool a group of quality young players and hone their skills for the next WC.
As far as I know England aren't exactly bursting at the seams with young talent like India are, so that may be a bit of a struggle.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Forward planning never hurt anyone.
Yeah, but India are able to do it, whilst not sacrificing great amounts, because they've got young players coming through. England don't have that talent, and it's not as if any of them are too old to miss the 2011 World Cup. Flintoff is about the only one I'd be concerned about. Trescothick too, I suppose.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
TBH if it doesn't rain I think Lancashire or Yorkshire will win. If it does, title looks likely to go to Sussex and Surrey. Kent to do well. Somerset to go down (simple, their bowlings simply not good enough and Caddick's 39). Durham as a major title threat.
My Ladder (Barring Rain):
1. Lancashire (assuming their bowling's good
2. Sussex
3. Yorkshire
4. Durham
5. Surrey
6. Hampshire
7. Kent
8. Nottinghamshire
9. Somerset
Division 2:
1. Warwickshire
2. Middlesex
3. Worcestershire
4. Essex
5. Gloucestershire
6. Derbyshire
7. Northamptonshire
8. Glamorgan
9. Leicestershire

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
nah can't see us winning the CC. our bowling is too weak without Murali and a lot of our side are getting on a lot and still can't see us sorting our opening partnership out. If things go our way we can finish top 3.

Anna

International Vice-Captain
I wouldn't go quite that far but it's certainly a bit of a dump.
Somerset is a beautiful county I'll have you know!

Only 1 this year.

Speaking of which, I'm interested to know who the overseas players are for the respective counties. I believe Kent are without an overseas player...Young Aussie Steve Smith was with them playing Second XI cricket last season...Hope they're interested in his services.
Somerset have Justin Langer :cool:

TBH if it doesn't rain I think Lancashire or Yorkshire will win. If it does, title looks likely to go to Sussex and Surrey. Kent to do well. Somerset to go down (simple, their bowlings simply not good enough and Caddick's 39). Durham as a major title threat.
Rubbish. We have the best new ball partnership in the COUNTRY in Caddick & Willoughby. Anyway, it really annoys me when people who live on the other side of the planet judge teams like that when they don't watch them week in, week out.

Anna

Northants will have Boje, van der Wath, Hall AND Klusener playing for them as Kolpaks this coming season.
F-ing ridiculous IMO :@

brockley

International Captain
"Northants will have Boje, van der Wath, Hall AND Klusener playing for them as Kolpaks this coming season.
F-ing ridiculous IMO "
Yes but no overseas player this year :) .

Anna

"Northants will have Boje, van der Wath, Hall AND Klusener playing for them as Kolpaks this coming season.
F-ing ridiculous IMO "
Yes but no overseas player this year :) .
Not officially, but they might as well have :dry:

Anna

What with Justin Langer swanning off to the IPL & Cam White being there also, I have no idea who Somerset will get to cover the overseas spot until Langer returns.. Although Brian Rose is, apparently, in SA scouting out possibilities...

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
What with Justin Langer swanning off to the IPL & Cam White being there also, I have no idea who Somerset will get to cover the overseas spot until Langer returns.. Although Brian Rose is, apparently, in SA scouting out possibilities...
Yeah... it'd be nice to know what's going on with those overseas players. They kept saying Langer was available, and I thought Dave Hussey was also the overseas player at Nottingham. I don't know what other counties are also affected (apart from Hants obv.)

Chubb

International Regular
Maybe someone like Duminy? I think that not having Langer there for the start of the season might put Somerset into some difficulties because apart from Trescothick (and what a boost he was last year) none of the batsmen will have faced First Division attacks- I'd be very surprised if Hildreth didn't cope with it, but Edwards? Durston? Blackie? Some doubt about the backup bowling for Wiloughby and Caddick as well.

Somerset need to be sure that their overseas player can fill the gap left by Langer as much as possible, otherwise when he gets back from the IPL, the situation might be very severe and even he won't be able to turn it around.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Oooo... Langer's column on the BBC says he isn't playing in the IPL this year and will be with Somerset.

Status
Not open for further replies.