• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is your favourite cricketer?

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
Your favourite cricketer?

Who would be your favourite cricketer for personality and off the field things.
I don't know amny other than New Zealanders but Dan Vettori, Lou Vincent and Chris Harris are really cool guys.

MrPerko

School Boy/Girl Captain
Brett Lee & Shoaib - for pure excitement

Tendulkar & Gilchrist - because you get your money's worth

MacMillan and Nantie Hayward - because there's bound to be fireworks

Off the field.... probably Gilly and Tendulkar - they manage to keep there mouths shut ok ;)

Andre

International Regular
The great M.E. Waugh is my all time favorite.

I liked Hansie Cronje and Trevor Madondo before they both sadly passed away.

I like Shane Lee, Andre Adams, Azhar Mahmood and Darren Lehmann also.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Favourite past player: Richie Benaud. Funny, witty and one of the most knowledgeble cricketers and commentators in existence. Unlike the rest of the Channel 9 commentary teams, has no obvious bias for a team either.

Favourite current player: Sachin or Lance Klusener.

Sachin: Well, who wouldn't want to be as talented as he? Plus he seems quite humble. Took the LBW decision against him in Adelaide in 1999 quite well (I reckoned it was out on replay but if I were out there, I wouldn't have been able to give it out on the evidence) and doesn't bother with anything else other than batting India out of whatever hole they'd dug for themselves! :D

Lance: ZULU! ZULU!! I L-O-V-E the way this guy plays the game and his attitude in general. When he bats, he tries to hit the ball a long way and can play the singles game too. When he bowls, bowls as fast as he can. Then there was his reaction after the WC semi-final; "Yeah I'm upset we lost but nobody died."

Apparently when other players are dieting on salad and stuff like that, he still insists on a HUGE steak and chips. Gotta love that.

And you've got to admire a guy who's whiter than me (okay, only a little whiter :D) yet learnt a Zulu language before he learnt English!! It'd be the equivalent of if I had learnt my Dad's Aboriginal language before I learnt English!

masterblaster

International Captain
VVS Laxman, this guy's strokes are so elegant and classy and beautiful to watch.

Sachin Tendulkar, well who doesnt enjoy seeing him play?

Ajit Agarkar, fine fast bowler and handy exciting batsman

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
For me, it has to be Dominic Cork (surprise surprise). The guy is an absolute hero to all Derbyshire supporters.

In England, there has always been a feeling that certain counties are 'fashionable' (in the south-east, where the national press reside), and then there are those which are not (Derbyshire, Glamorgan, Leicestershire, Notts etc). Maybe that's because those of us from 'the sticks' have chips on our shoulders, maybe not. If you play for one of the 'favourite' counties, you're in. If not. . . Don't call us. . .

I can't help thinking that if Corky played for Surrey or Essex, he would have made a lot more international appearances than 35 tests and about 15 ODI's.

Previous cricketing heroes :
Bob Taylor (the best wicket-keeper of all time, IMHO, but that's another thread. . .)
Michael Holding
Mike Hendrick
Ian Buxton (only cos he played for Derby County Football Club as well as Derbyshire)

All were Derbyshire players (of varying ability) but hey, I wouldn't be a fan if I liked someone else's players better.

WIC_rules

Cricket Spectator
Fave batsmen : Easily the Prince of Bombay - thats Tendulkar.

Others include Gilly , Cairns & Zulu for his big hitting prowess ( not so for his think-box)

Fave bowlers : Shoaib Akhtar & Darren Gough

Fave keeper : Mark Boucher

Fave others : Big fat Shep (for his hops & skips on 111/222/...)

anthonysw

U19 Cricketer
I am a big fan of Richie Benaud also. Richie has a unique grace and style about him that only the old school cricketers have.

Current favourite players: Bevan, Darren Lehmann and Tandulka.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
David Shepherd is a hero. Whenever the score gets close to Nelson, you can hear the buzz of anticipation going around the ground.
If I had my wish, it would be for Shep to be umpiring, the score on 999 and Ramadhin and Valentine bowling (didn't they once bowl about 16 consecutive maidens?).

My other favourite umpire is David Constant. I had the pleasure of working with David for several months in Bristol in 1985 on a computer project. He is an absolute gentleman.

I know that controversy and he crossed paths several years ago and I am not going to rake over old coals here, but I feel privileged to have once called him my friend.

anthonysw

U19 Cricketer
I have always been a fan of Ian Healey when he was playing. I always like the way he conducted himself. I have a lot of respect for him.

WIC_rules

Cricket Spectator
Wasnt much of a gentleman in that incident in SA when he threw his bat up the stairs in rage after being given out. Guess it was just a one-off ! Very likeable chap tho ...

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
In England, there has always been a feeling that certain counties are 'fashionable' (in the south-east, where the national press reside), and then there are those which are not (Derbyshire, Glamorgan, Leicestershire, Notts etc). Maybe that's because those of us from 'the sticks' have chips on our shoulders, maybe not. If you play for one of the 'favourite' counties, you're in. If not. . . Don't call us. . .
We've had this one before, haven't we? :D. If Mark Ramprakash gets back in the England squad for these two 200s then I take absolutely no responsibility for my actions.

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
Well my Favourite by a long long way is Greg Blewett, other than him i would have to say Shoaib Akhtar, this guys is great, he is very friendly, not like alot of high profile players.....

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
If Rampers gets back in, I will also be not at all surprised.
Ronnie Irani made it back into the fold on the basis of a helluva start to the season after a couple of aeons in the cricketing wilderness. The reaction of the press (boo hiss) after an admittedly excellent season has been almost 'should never ever have been left out ever ever because we think that he is wonderful and always has been'.
Those who can, do.
Those who can't, teach.
Those who haven't a clue write for the UK press.

My apologies to teachers oh dear here I go again!!!

[Edited on 7/15/02 by luckyeddie]

scorpio

U19 Cricketer
has to be zulu and jayasuriya. boy at their peaks i dont remember any one more intimidating.

lara for his sportsmanship..

and i hate steve waugh for the lack of it

Kimbo

International Debutant
i also like shoaib. he is someone that always looks to be enjoying his cricket.
also makhaya ntini, for being so enthusiastic.