• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is your favourite cricketer?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
If it's all-time surely no-one can question Sobers, and Bradman as a batsman.
I'd also take Malcolm Marshall as a bowler and Colin Bland as a fielder.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Philip Clive Roderick Tufnell
Ian Terence Botham
Allan Anthony Donald
Shaun McLean Pollock
Heath Hilton Streak
Henry Khaaba Olonga
Andrew Flower
Robert Charles "Jack" Russell
Alec James Stewart
Angus Robert Charles Fraser
Jonathan Neil "Jonty" Rhodes
Brian Charles Lara

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Richard said:
If it's all-time surely no-one can question Sobers, and Bradman as a batsman.
I'd also take Malcolm Marshall as a bowler and Colin Bland as a fielder.
I think (I could be wrong) the topic is relating to what you have seen, rather than the greatest. Your favourite doesn't always have to be the best.

As for me, Sachin, Lara, Wasim Akram and Dravid for me. I love the way each one of them plays cricket.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Allan Anthony Donald

An absolute legend, a true role model and a fine athlete.. It was on a grey day in Manchester, id been dragged up to watch the test match by my dad.. when this guy just amazed me with his power and grace.. Cricket to me was no longer a boring game for old people, it was an artform.. this guy single handedly converted me in 1998.....

I have seen no cricketer play with such passion, grace and commitment as AD...

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
jamesryfler said:
Hadlee was a brilliant bowler but he was part of a weak attack overall unlike Wasim who at various times had to compete with Imran, Waqar, Abdul Qadir and Mushtaq Ahmed.
Not to mention Shoaib Akhtar as well in the later part of his career.

That should be noted when comparing the two.
But that means hes better as a bowler.It means he can carrya bowling attack by himself.

But the New Zealand attack was not "weak".Hadlee,Chatfield Cairns (HUGE hitting all-rounder)were all as good as any trio of bowlers.

But New Zealand also had a strong batting line up.Edgar,Coney,Wright,Howart and Reid are just a few of them.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Langeveldt said:
Allan Anthony Donald

An absolute legend, a true role model and a fine athlete.. It was on a grey day in Manchester, id been dragged up to watch the test match by my dad.. when this guy just amazed me with his power and grace.. Cricket to me was no longer a boring game for old people, it was an artform.. this guy single handedly converted me in 1998.....

I have seen no cricketer play with such passion, grace and commitment as AD...
A brilliant cricketer no doubt, but I think it unfortunate that he jumped the shark before he retired.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
A brilliant cricketer no doubt, but I think it unfortunate that he jumped the shark before he retired.
Well, hindsight is a great thing Liam.. Didnt tarnish my opinion of him in my book..

krkode

State Captain
Batsman: Tendulkar

Bowler: Glenn McGrath

That's all I have to say about that...

I just wish McGrath didn't crumble the Indians so often...I wonder when he'll be back. I miss his illustrious presence :(

I have so many more favorite cricketers, but these two are just the cream of the top... :)

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Haha! Love that phrase!!

Have you seen this site? http://www.jumptheshark.com

Anyway, my vote would have to be for Hadlee. I grew up watching him lead the NZ attack from '82/83 or so. He instilled in me my love of cricket.

bennyr

U19 12th Man
Batsmen: Clive Lloyd, Viv Richards
Bowler: Dennis Lillee

Clive Lloyd may not have been as awesome as Viv, but I just have these childhood memories of balls being hit with that massive club he called a bat and staying hit. I always loved watching him bat.

Lillee was the complete fast bowler who was able to maintain dominance and fear by becoming smarter as he got slower.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Wasim and Waqar for me, the greatest fast bowling combo I have ever seen.

I just loved Waqar's toe crushing inswinging yorkers.
Can't ever forget the way he shattered Ricky Ponting's stumps
with a superb reverse swinging delivery in Hobart in 1999.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Langeveldt said:
Well, hindsight is a great thing Liam.. Didnt tarnish my opinion of him in my book..
Was it hindsight though?

I think a lot of observers had realised he was no longer the force he used to be...

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
Was it hindsight though?

I think a lot of observers had realised he was no longer the force he used to be...
Yes but not to the extent shown during the WC!

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Andre said:
Mark Edward Waugh.

yep same for me :)

others:
Lara, Ponting, Dravid, Gilly, Hayden, Slater, McGrath (for his batting ;)), Lee, Gillespie, McDermott, Saqulain, Donald and Gibbs