View Poll Results: Is Luke Ronchi potentially the next Adam Gilchrist?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

2 4.44%
  • No

21 46.67%
  • More like the next Brendon McCullum

19 42.22%
  • Ferrari F1 Racing Team

3 6.67%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Luke Ronchi potentially the next Adam Gilchrist?

Is Luke Ronchi potentially the next Adam Gilchrist?

Seeing how he played last night, there was a lot of similarity's to how Adam Gilchrist used to play in ODIS, so the question is do you think he will be Australia's successor to Adam Gilchrist or will he and Brad Haddin spent a lot their careers fighting it out for Australia's wicket keeping position? Or hell turn out like Brendon McCullum, despite his flashes of brilliance, often throws it all away?
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Yes he is.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Can't see him being as good a Test bat at Gilchrist was for a while there.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Hall of Fame Member NZTailender's Avatar
    Like Gilchrist in that he'll probably be pushed up to open in ODI cricket eventually and be a big hitting batsman? Yes.

Will he be as good and as consistent as Gilly? Unlikely.
    President of SKAS - Kat is King | Proud member of CVAAS - One of the best | LRPLTAS - Rosco rocks!
    The NZTailender Supporting XI:
    H Rutherford, N Broom, Craig Cachopa, M Bracewell, D Brownlie, BJ Watling, D de Boorder+, I Sodhi, B Wheeler, H Bennett, A Milne
    Go Tigers!
    R.I.P. Fardin & Craig

Consistency has always been an issue for him so...I don't think so. I do think he'll produce a few very memorable innings though.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Was it Craig who said he was born in NZ?

And on that bombshell the bond21 style Aussies immediately label him the next Sylvester Joseph...

From the limited amount I've seen of him, first he's got to prove he isn't just a domestic dominator and is a genuine international. We will learn what he's made of in due course but until then, who knows? Personally don't see any need to rush him through, Haddin is a high quality keeper-batsman from the admittedly little I've seen of him. My only critiscm (sic) is he's a bit too reckless, much like his rival McCullum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Would he actually be older than McCullum?

Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Would he actually be older than McCullum?
    Haddin? Yeah I think he is. They are both related players in their gameplay though, hence I used the term "rival" as they play the aggressive keeper-batsman role.

Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    From the limited amount I've seen of him, first he's got to prove he isn't just a domestic dominator and is a genuine international.
    He hasn't even proved a domestic dominator. He's got a reasonable FC average of 36ish (actually better than I thought it was) though it helps coming in behind arguably the best batting lineup in Australian domestic cricket (Langer, North, Pomersbach, Marsh, Rogers) and his List-A average is a largely underwhelming 26. His keeping certainly has improved but it's still no better than Haddin and certainly doesn't justify him playing ahead.

Anyway, there's a common perception in Australia that Ronchi is a young star of the game, mainly because of a) people only hear about him when he makes his customary hundred from 60 balls per season (generally his only hundred in the given season) and b) because he's only been even close to reasonable in very recent years. He's 27, which isn't that young, and if Haddin plays for another 4 or 5 years which he perceivably could (being only 30 himself) he'll be much too old to be debuted and should be overlooked for (hopefully) Tim Paine or another young keeper.

Ronchi doesn't have the temperament or the talent to emulate Gilchrist. While Gilly had multiple gears to his batting, Ronchi has only the one. Go for it. He has no slow down or off button and it is obviously the major factor to his lack of consistency.
    Last edited by dontcloseyoureyes; 07-07-2008 at 01:50 AM.
    The one, the only CW Black
    Code:
    47.3 W Coppinger to Heads 
        Smacked the ball straight into the groin of Iwuajoku who has fallen over, 
        miraculously with the ball still caught in his scrotal area! Out!

Haddin? Yeah I think he is. They are both related players in their gameplay though, hence I used the term "rival" as they play the aggressive keeper-batsman role.
    Was referring to Ronchi.

Quote Originally Posted by dontcloseyoureyes View Post
    From the limited amount I've seen of him, first he's got to prove he isn't just a domestic dominator and is a genuine international.

He hasn't even proved a domestic dominator. He's got a reasonable FC average of 36ish (actually better than I thought it was) though it helps coming in behind arguably the best batting lineup in Australian domestic cricket (Langer, North, Pomersbach, Marsh, Rogers) and his List-A average is a largely underwhelming 26. His keeping certainly has improved but it's still no better than Haddin and certainly doesn't justify him playing ahead.

Anyway, there's a common perception in Australia that Ronchi is a young star of the game, mainly because of a) people only hear about him when he makes his customary hundred from 60 balls per season (generally his only hundred in the given season) and b) because he's only been even close to reasonable in very recent years. He's 27, which isn't that young, and if Haddin plays for another 4 or 5 years which he perceivably could (being only 30 himself) he'll be much too old to be debuted and should be overlooked for (hopefully) Tim Paine or another young keeper.

Ronchi doesn't have the temperament or the talent to emulate Gilchrist. While Gilly had multiple gears to his batting, Ronchi has only the one. Go for it. He has no slow down or off button and it is obviously the major factor to his lack of consistency.
    Interesting. So if Haddin dropped dead tommorrow, would Ronchi deserve his place or is there someone else in mind?

At any rate, I agree. Haddin should have a while left in him yet so there's no reason to jump up and down about someone unproven.

Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Was referring to Ronchi.
    27...think he's a year younger than McCullum.

Interesting. So if Haddin dropped dead tommorrow, would Ronchi deserve his place or is there someone else in mind?
    Obviously not, there are talented keeper-batsmen in Aus but most of them are much too young to be playing for anyone other than their states.

Quote Originally Posted by dontcloseyoureyes View Post
    Obviously not, there are talented keeper-batsmen in Aus but most of them are much too young to be playing for anyone other than their states.
    Matthew Wade for the future IMO.

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Smith summed it up. Ronchi is a pretty useful batsman but he's not some 21 year old making the step up from prodigy to international star. If Haddin was no longer available he'd be a reasonable choice but I don't see him being worth a spot over Haddin in either form in the forseeable future, and there's a fair chance he will have been surpassed by younger players by the time Haddin's time ends.

Having said that, some players develop rapidly in their late 20s and it was an impressive innings. You can't write him off but he won't be playing regular international cricket for a while.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information