• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Wither Australia? Not Likely....

itduzz

Banned
In ODIs...they are still the best or may be equal to SA...but in tests India showed how vulnerable they have become. Even WI can draw tests against them. :laugh:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Noone's ever actually whitewashed the West Indies over there in a test series so thats not much of a failure. I could probably draw a test against Australia. All i need is eleven volunteers and five days of rain.

howardj

International Coach
Good article. I particularly like the slant that finding a bluechip 3rd quick is enough for us to remain dominant, as distinct from having to unearth another Warnie.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Yeah good article.

And now i know your surname is Burge, I was reading your name like Burger with the y instead of the r obv. :laugh:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Their domestic infrastructure is too good for them to ever wither. They may or may not be as dominant as they were, but its hard to see them ever being a bad team. Their fundamentals are too good.

Jakester1288

International Regular
Australia has up and coming batsmen, bowlers. wicketkeepers and all rounders, yet no quality spinners. We will be right until we go to South Africa, England and India, where the pitches favour spin. Sadly they are our next three tours.

India, England the South Africa IIRC, in that order. (Someone to correct me if I'm wrong).

Flem274*

123/5
Australia will come back to the pack a bit, of that I'm sure. Its hard to judge atm because many nations are putting together new teams but Australia has the infrastructure and player base to be sure, apart from an unforseen disaster, of not collapsing. There is a chance that they could go to the mid-table but that would be due to other teams catching up (India and South Africa spring to mind as prime candidates to jump them) rather than Australian cricket going down the toilet. They'll still be a good side, but how good its too early to say. There are cracks but it depends on whether they are exploited.

howardj

International Coach
I think one of the biggest things that keeps Australia up there is that cricket is part of our culture. The team and the nation more broadly really cares. We, as a people, blead when we lost the Urn, and we rejoiced and danced on England's grave when we crushed them 5-0 and won the thing back.

By contrast, in many other cricket playing countries, cricket is not really the main sport. The population and I think even some of the teams just brush losses off like a loose piece of cotton on your shirt. Again, contrast that with the soul-searching that went on when we lost the Ashes.

In short, cricket is embedded in our culture and this has many flow on effects - funding; juniors playing the game; general infrastructure etc.

Last edited:

Uppercut

By contrast, in many other cricket playing countries, cricket is not really the main sport. The population and I think even some of the teams just brush losses off like a loose piece of cotton on your shirt. Again, contrast that with the soul-searching that went on when we lost the Ashes.
Is cricket the main sport in Australia? I would have thought Aussie Rules and rugby union would be much more popular.

kwigibo

School Boy/Girl Captain
Is cricket the main sport in Australia? I would have thought Aussie Rules and rugby union would be much more popular.
You would have thought wrong. Cricket is the main sport in that it's the most followed equally all over the country. Australian Rules is still provincial (WA, SA, TAS, VIC), as is Rugby League (QLD, NSW), they are both huge but skew geographically. Union is not as big as League, but has a bit more presence than league outside of QLD/NSW due to it being big in the private schools and with ex-pats.

Last edited:

Uppercut

You would have thought wrong. Cricket is the main sport in that it's the most followed equally all over the country. Australian Rules is still provincial (WA, SA, TAS, VIC), as is Rugby League (QLD, NSW), they are both huge but skew geographically. Union is not as big as League, but has a bit more presence than league outside of QLD/NSW due to it being big in the private schools and with ex-pats.
Hmm i see. It just doesn't seem to attract quite the crowds of other sports, especially when you compare club cricket to the crowds at some super 14s games in Australia. The idea of cricket being all-encompassing is also a bit difficult to grasp living in the UK where i'm often immediately thought of as a toff for following cricket.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I think one of the biggest things that keeps Australia up there is that cricket is part of our culture. The team and the nation more broadly really cares. We, as a people, blead when we lost the Urn, and we rejoiced and danced on England's grave when we crushed them 5-0 and won the thing back.

In short, cricket is embedded in our culture and this has many flow on effects - funding; juniors playing the game; general infrastructure etc.
I think the fact that really, cricket owns the whole summer (yes, you've got tennis, but that only really goes for three weeks in Aus) does have a huge impact.