• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Wither Australia? Not Likely....

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think the fact that really, cricket owns the whole summer (yes, you've got tennis, but that only really goes for three weeks in Aus) does have a huge impact.
Ditto in the UK and cricket is still miles behind football and rugby. Maybe something to do with our different definitions of the word "summer".

kwigibo

School Boy/Girl Captain
Hmm i see. It just doesn't seem to attract quite the crowds of other sports, especially when you compare club cricket to the crowds at some super 14s games in Australia. The idea of cricket being all-encompassing is also a bit difficult to grasp living in the UK where i'm often immediately thought of as a toff for following cricket.
Well, comparing club cricket with Super 14 isn't exactly fair, super 14 teams represent entire states, with all the infrastructure and potential fan base that entails. Club rugby union gets appallingly small crowds, I was one of the few with memberships to the ill fated national club competition last year, so I can tell you.

Uppercut

Well, comparing club cricket with Super 14 isn't exactly fair, super 14 teams represent entire states, with all the infrastructure and potential fan base that entails. Club rugby union gets appallingly small crowds, I was one of the few with memberships to the ill fated national club competition last year, so I can tell you.
Sorry i didn't mean club cricket. I meant first-class cricket. My mistake.

It makes perfect sense that cricket would be a lot more popular in Australia because Australians make cricket seem significantly more exciting and fun than Geoffrey f*****g Boycott and co. over here.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Ditto in the UK and cricket is still miles behind football and rugby. Maybe something to do with our different definitions of the word "summer".
Yeah, your summers are ****, and hence you tend to suck at summer sports. Reverse is true here. (jk - kinda)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Your football season ends up encroaching on both sides of the cricket season anyway.
I don't mind it in May but it seriously sucks that the football season starts in August. It'd be so much better for cricket if it wasn't until mid-September.

Uppercut

Yeah, your summers are ****, and hence you tend to suck at summer sports. Reverse is true here. (jk - kinda)
I think you'll find Ireland is the best in the world in the prestigious summer sports of Hurling and Gaelic Football.

Matt79

Global Moderator
The way you guys drink, I'm not surprised your good at hurling... (see what I did there?). And bah, all your best gaelic footy boys are coming over here to play for the mighty mighty Collingwood. (btw, does Marty Clark have any younger brothers?)

Uppercut

I don't mind it in May but it seriously sucks that the football season starts in August. It'd be so much better for cricket if it wasn't until mid-September.
True, but i don't think it makes that much difference. The opening stages of the football season in August are usually pretty dull anyway. Of much more concern to me is the fact that they sold all live cricket to Sky. If it had been such five or so years ago i would never have had the slightest interest in cricket at all.

Uppercut

The way you guys drink, I'm not surprised your good at hurling... (see what I did there?). And bah, all your best gaelic footy boys are coming over here to play for the mighty mighty Collingwood. (btw, does Marty Clark have any younger brothers?)
Marty Clark, what a guy. He played for my dad's old school. If he'd stuck around here the not-so-mighty Down might win something once in a while. Amateur ethos has its disadvantages.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The way you guys drink, I'm not surprised your good at hurling... (see what I did there?).
Haha oh dear.

BTW the Irish are really no "better" at drinking than those anywhere else on these Isles. They just get the rep for it.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
True, but i don't think it makes that much difference. The opening stages of the football season in August are usually pretty dull anyway.
That's not the point, though - those who are committed well to both sports will find time for both. But the very fact that football is on at all, however poor the quality, means much attention is deflected from the cricket most seasons.

If football didn't start until mid-September (or, ideally from the cricket POV, even later) it'd be so much better.
Of much more concern to me is the fact that they sold all live cricket to Sky. If it had been such five or so years ago i would never have had the slightest interest in cricket at all.
Yep, and we'll never know how many people there will be who will be lost who would have been found in the 5 years 2006-2010. (I think that's the time of the Sky deal.) Worse still will be if the deal is repeated next time the bidding is up.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Don't you start telling me that you can choose my nationality more than I can as well. 8-)8-)8-)8-)8-)

Uppercut

Haha oh dear.

BTW the Irish are really no "better" at drinking than those anywhere else on these Isles. They just get the rep for it.
The fact that we're so bad at not drinking is often mistaken for us being good at drinking.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
This is the cricketing world, it's acceptable here. Just ask Simon Jones.
Ah, drinking has no relation to the cricket World - no matter what anyone tells you. :p

(And that's where this discussion came from, BTW)

Matt79

Global Moderator
Don't you start telling me that you can choose my nationality more than I can as well. 8-)8-)8-)8-)8-)
meh, your name isn't David, or Jones, and I've yet to see you eat a leak or sing a song, so I'm not choosing your nationality for you, I'm just calling you a liar.

(and I'm jk btw, in case you missed that)