• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Damien Fleming retires

Hoggy

U19 12th Man
From baggygreen.com.au

Fleming joins Commonwealth Bank Cricket Academy coaching staff
Australian Cricket Board - 22 May 2003

The Australian Cricket Board (ACB) in conjunction with the Australian Institute of Sport (AIS) today announced the appointment of former Australian player Damien Fleming to the coaching staff at the Commonwealth Bank Cricket Academy (CBCA).

Fleming will take up a two-year contract as a senior coach at the CBCA, replacing Wayne Phillips, who resigned from the position earlier this month to assume the head coaching role with the Southern Redbacks

The appointment also brings an end to Fleming's decorated playing career, having been released from the final year of his contract with the South Australian Cricket Association (SACA). Fleming joined the Redbacks from Victoria for the 2002-03 domestic season, playing just five games before suffering a serious shoulder injury.

Fleming will join head coach Bennett King and fellow senior coaches John Harmer and David Moore at the academy's Adelaide base.

He will be responsible for all aspects of academy coaching, working closely with the academy's overseas program and Dennis Lillee's Pace Australia program.

ACB Chief Executive Officer (CEO) James Sutherland said the appointment of Fleming to the Commonwealth Bank Cricket Academy coaching staff would benefit Australian cricket.

"Damien has great record as a successful first class cricketer over many years," Mr Sutherland said.

"Damien's recent experiences with the Australian team will hold him in good stead as he works with the cream of our cricketing youth.

"The Commonwealth Bank Cricket Academy is the finishing school for our talented young elite cricketers, so it will benefit them to have contact with recently retired international players such as Damien who can share their experiences and knowledge."

While disappointed to lose such an experienced and valued player, SACA CEO Mike Deare said Fleming had the association's best wishes and full support.

"The SACA is extremely sad to see Damien not fulfil his dream of playing for the Redbacks next season, after he worked so hard to rehabilitate following shoulder surgery," Mr Deare said.

"Although we are disappointed he won't be a part of South Australia's bowling attack next season, Damien takes up this role with our very best wishes and complete support.

"We know that cricket coaching is a career path he has always wanted to follow and these sorts of opportunities need to be taken when they come along.

"Damien has been an inspirational leader to have around Adelaide Oval and a player who has made an immense contribution to Australian cricket."

Director of the AIS Mr Michael Scott said the appointment of Fleming to the academy's coaching staff is an example of the calibre of coaches the AIS and the ACB seek to recruit.

"The key to the success of the AIS over the years has been in identifying and recruiting the most talented coaches, domestically or internationally, to get the best out of our athletes,"

"His recent domestic and international experience as a player combined with his desire to contribute to the next generation of Australia's elite cricketers bodes well for the future of the sport in this country."

Fleming played 20 Test matches for Australia after making his debut against Pakistan in 1994-95, claiming 75 wickets at an average of 25.89.

The right-armer was renowned for his steadiness and reliability at the bowling crease, and his hat-trick against Pakistan on debut - only the third time in the history of cricket this feat has been achieved.

Fleming was also a key member of Australia's one-day international team, playing 88 matches including the 1999 World Cup victory. He will also be remembered for his composed bowling in the final overs of World Cup semi finals in 1996 and 1999 against the West Indies and Pakistan respectively.

© 2003 Australian Cricket Board

Eclipse

International Debutant
Damian Fleming was a realy champion IMO.

He was an outstanding bowler and it's a pitty injureys have cripeled his carear. he owuld still be in the aussie team At the moment if not for injurey I personaly beleve.

Eyes_Only

International Debutant
Flem has always been one of my favourite players and I will be saddened to see him go...

I wish him all the best for the future!

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Sad to see him go, I wish he had been given more of an oppertunity when he came over for the Ashes as I think he would have done a much better job than Lee in the Tests.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Rik said:
Sad to see him go, I wish he had been given more of an oppertunity when he came over for the Ashes as I think he would have done a much better job than Lee in the Tests.
Yeah you would have though the selectors would have given Flem a go by the 4th test with Lee in poor form.

Last edited:

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Eclipse said:
Yeah you would have though the selectors would have given Flem a go by the 4th test with Lee is poor form.
Errrm...now in the English version?

Eclipse

International Debutant
Rik said:
Errrm...now in the English version?
what?

I dont see what's so hard to understand about that I though It was pritty clear what exactly dont you understand?

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Eclipse said:
I cant beleve you are so Picky Rik so I used an S on accedent instead of an N.
It just didn't make sense, so could you rephrase it?

Also what are you on about with "S instead of an N"?

Langeveldt

Soutie
Sad to see him go, he could get into any other XI in the world without question, just a pity for him that he had to compete with the likes of McGrath, Gillespie, Bichel and Lee..

Wish him luck with his future career..

krkode

State Captain
I've always held Fleming in the highest of admiration for the great bowler that he is. But with the recent burst of discoveries by the Aussies, his chances of ever getting back into the Aussie team have been lower. But I still feel it's a fine career ruined :(

I'd say he's better than any bowler the Aussies could put out on a test field, barring McGrath. In the ODIs, maybe Lee also.

royGilchrist

State 12th Man
Fleming was a super bowler, a wicked outswinger, the most difficult delivery for batsmen if bowled correctly IMO (the leg cutter too I guess).

A bit of a Bruce Reid sundrome for Fleming I guess, very gifted, but too many injuries, and at times got the axe a bit too often.

Reminded me of Aaqib Javed, with that outswinger.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Rik said:
It just didn't make sense, so could you rephrase it?

Also what are you on about with "S instead of an N"?
Because I wrote "with Lee is poor form. " on accedent instead of "with Lee in poor form"

No I wont rephrase it if you cant work it out thats your problem I dont see anyone else complaining.

The Argonaut

State Vice-Captain
It was a good decision for Fleming to retire now. He had a disasterous year. I wouldn't rate him as highly as some of the others on this thread. He was solid and a particularly good one day bowler. His batting was also underrated. I would put him on par with Bichel and Reiffel as far as recent performers go.

royGilchrist

State 12th Man
Eclipse:
He was an outstanding bowler and it's a pitty injureys have cripeled his carear. he owuld still be in the aussie team At the moment if not for injurey I personaly beleve.
This is the part which I had more problem with...

injureys = injuries
cripeled = crippled
carear = career
owuld = would
injurey = injury
personaly = personally
beleve = believe

But I am not complaining...I make these mistakes too, most of us do, this is not a final english exam we are writing here, if I even see a spelling error I am too lazy to correct it.

Argonaut: I think Fleming could do a lot more with the ball than Bichel and Reiffel, although I have not seen Bichel recently with his resurgence. McGarth is not a great mover of the ball, but I remember watching McGrath and Fleming operate with the new ball, and Fleming frequently troubling the batsmen more than McGrath.

Eclipse

International Debutant
royGilchrist said:
This is the part which I had more problem with...

injureys = injuries
cripeled = crippled
carear = career
owuld = would
injurey = injury
personaly = personally
beleve = believe

But I am not complaining...I make these mistakes too, most of us do, this is not a final english exam we are writing here, if I even see a spelling error I am too lazy to correct it.

Argonaut: I think Fleming could do a lot more with the ball than Bichel and Reiffel, although I have not seen Bichel recently with his resurgence. McGarth is not a great mover of the ball, but I remember watching McGrath and Fleming operate with the new ball, and Fleming frequently troubling the batsmen more than McGrath.
Yes well spelling is not my strong point and It never has been. Incedently 4 of those word's I mispelt there I actualy do know how to spell.

Never the less what I said was perfectly easy to understand to any one with a decent sized brain.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Eclipse said:
Yes well spelling is not my strong point and It never has been. Incedently 4 of those word's I mispelt there I actualy do know how to spell.

Never the less what I said was perfectly easy to understand to any one with a decent sized brain.
1. Top player, Fleming.
2. No, spelling isn't a matter of life and death, but take your time.
3. Tch! Aussies. One defeat and they go all broody.:P

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
Damien Fleming will go down as one of Australia's best bearded assassins.
We've always had a bearded one at the moment dizzy.
so it'll be sad