Thread: how do people become PRO in the uk

Cricket Spectator

how do people become PRO in the uk

with the long cold winters, and the wet summers how does anyone become good. i presume they excel when they leave school

what do you think

International Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by pnesam07 View Post
    with the long cold winters, and the wet summers how does anyone become good. i presume they excel when they leave school

what do you think

You obviously haven't seen much of the England cricket team recently.

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    You've just had a game rained off, haven't you?
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

International Vice-Captain open365's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillian Thomson View Post
    You obviously haven't seen much of the England cricket team recently.
    Hahahaha

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Pickup View Post
    You've just had a game rained off, haven't you?
    Are you telling me there's anyone who didn't today?!
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Me.
    The speed at which a fielding team gets through the innings is overrated.

z

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    They defect there from warmer climates after learning their trade in a local academy.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post

z
    Not too sure what the 'z' means but we managed to play on Sunday. It poured down during the innings break but we were only playing a friendly and their bowlers were not quick enough to make the pitch dangerous.

The z is simply to avoid :-O from turning into :-o, which de-smiley-s the combination.

I'm astonished anywhere in the country escaped rain-delays yesterday TBH, given how appalling the weather has been around here the last 4-5 days.

Pinball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    The z is simply to avoid :-O from turning into :-o, which de-smiley-s the combination.

I'm astonished anywhere in the country escaped rain-delays yesterday TBH, given how appalling the weather has been around here the last 4-5 days.
    I've never seen weather as bad as in the last couple of days here.. Almost exciting to be honest.. Felt like one of those Stormchaser guys on the discovery channel..

I've always been shocked by the lack of cricket culture and the paucity of good facilities for the general public in a country that supposedly invented the sport.. I think the only reason they are any good is a large population and good public schools, where the majority of good cricketers are still drawn from, rightly or wrongly..
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

International Vice-Captain open365's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Langeveldt View Post
    I've always been shocked by the lack of cricket culture and the paucity of good facilities for the general public in a country that supposedly invented the sport.. I think the only reason they are any good is a large population and good public schools, where the majority of good cricketers are still drawn from, rightly or wrongly..
    Where I live and play, I think there is no problem on this front at all, there are a lot of quality cricker clubs in and around liverpool (though there are a few horrible ones to balance that) and uncountable numbers of random village grounds around the Lancashire/Wales/bit in between region. The state of cricket in non public schools is admittedly very poor, but I never had much faith in the school 'cricket' system tbh, schools are for learning, cricket clubs are for playing cricket.

Quote Originally Posted by open365 View Post
    Where I live and play, I think there is no problem on this front at all, there are a lot of quality cricker clubs in and around liverpool (though there are a few horrible ones to balance that) and uncountable numbers of random village grounds around the Lancashire/Wales/bit in between region. The state of cricket in non public schools is admittedly very poor, but I never had much faith in the school 'cricket' system tbh, schools are for learning, cricket clubs are for playing cricket.
    Seconed to that, especially with the school cricket part where i would say only in London & Lancashire has the competition been strong over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by open365 View Post
    Aye, indeed. Good-quality cricket in schools is useful, especially for getting kids into the game ITFP (usually at a very young age of course), but in the end you need a good local club to make much progress in this country and almost always have, at least since about 1950.

Getting kids interested in the game usually means they join a club, and once they're involved in a club in a good youth system, as long as they maintain the interest they'll probably play for the rest of their days.

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Despite winning the Bradford and Leeds Inter School Cricket Championships for like 3 years running, my year has had one game this year. I don't know whether that is down to teachers CBFing it or whatever, but it is pretty annoying.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

Thread Information