• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

how do people become PRO in the uk

pnesam07

Cricket Spectator
with the long cold winters, and the wet summers how does anyone become good. i presume they excel when they leave school

what do you think

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Not too sure what the 'z' means but we managed to play on Sunday. It poured down during the innings break but we were only playing a friendly and their bowlers were not quick enough to make the pitch dangerous.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The z is simply to avoid :-O from turning into :-o, which de-smiley-s the combination.

I'm astonished anywhere in the country escaped rain-delays yesterday TBH, given how appalling the weather has been around here the last 4-5 days.

Langeveldt

Soutie
The z is simply to avoid :-O from turning into :-o, which de-smiley-s the combination.

I'm astonished anywhere in the country escaped rain-delays yesterday TBH, given how appalling the weather has been around here the last 4-5 days.
I've never seen weather as bad as in the last couple of days here.. Almost exciting to be honest.. Felt like one of those Stormchaser guys on the discovery channel..

I've always been shocked by the lack of cricket culture and the paucity of good facilities for the general public in a country that supposedly invented the sport.. I think the only reason they are any good is a large population and good public schools, where the majority of good cricketers are still drawn from, rightly or wrongly..

open365

International Vice-Captain
I've always been shocked by the lack of cricket culture and the paucity of good facilities for the general public in a country that supposedly invented the sport.. I think the only reason they are any good is a large population and good public schools, where the majority of good cricketers are still drawn from, rightly or wrongly..
Where I live and play, I think there is no problem on this front at all, there are a lot of quality cricker clubs in and around liverpool (though there are a few horrible ones to balance that) and uncountable numbers of random village grounds around the Lancashire/Wales/bit in between region. The state of cricket in non public schools is admittedly very poor, but I never had much faith in the school 'cricket' system tbh, schools are for learning, cricket clubs are for playing cricket.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Where I live and play, I think there is no problem on this front at all, there are a lot of quality cricker clubs in and around liverpool (though there are a few horrible ones to balance that) and uncountable numbers of random village grounds around the Lancashire/Wales/bit in between region. The state of cricket in non public schools is admittedly very poor, but I never had much faith in the school 'cricket' system tbh, schools are for learning, cricket clubs are for playing cricket.
Seconed to that, especially with the school cricket part where i would say only in London & Lancashire has the competition been strong over the years.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Aye, indeed. Good-quality cricket in schools is useful, especially for getting kids into the game ITFP (usually at a very young age of course), but in the end you need a good local club to make much progress in this country and almost always have, at least since about 1950.

Getting kids interested in the game usually means they join a club, and once they're involved in a club in a good youth system, as long as they maintain the interest they'll probably play for the rest of their days.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Despite winning the Bradford and Leeds Inter School Cricket Championships for like 3 years running, my year has had one game this year. I don't know whether that is down to teachers CBFing it or whatever, but it is pretty annoying.