11 24.44%
  • Jacques Kallis

28 62.22%
  • That locksmith in the Foster's advertisement

6 13.33%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sanath v/s Kallis

Sanath v/s Kallis

Whom do you rate higher? Kallis does have heavier figures, but Jayasuriya has the match impact going his way. Let's look at how they compare-

SANATH JAYASURIYA

Strengths:
    • Extra hitting power.
    • Excellent reflexes and co-ordination
    • Goes berserk but has always looked in control.
    • Opens the batting.
    • Can keep the big hits going even when the bowling is on top.
    • Can turn the ball more than a little.
    • Clever bowler.
    • Excellent outfielder.
    Weaknesses:
    • Excess aggression leads to several cheap dismissals.
    • Relies almost totally on strength of arms.
    • Lack of action with the ball has often resulted in some weak bowling
    • May be redundant on flat pitches.

JACQUES KALLIS

Strengths:
    • A genuine big-innings player.
    • Reasonably strong for the big shots.
    • Capable of building large partnerships.
    • With the ball, can get useful pace.
    • Swings it decently.
    • Can bowl a good bouncer.
    • Bowls regularly, long enough to support strike bowlers.
    • Steady slip fielder.
    Weaknesses:
    • Gets bogged down a little.
    • Susceptible against quality spin bowling.
    • Strike rate with the ball is a little low.
    • Batting sides can get on top of him easily.
    "Talent is nothing without opportunity"
    "You're not remembered for aiming at the target, but hitting it"

Twenty20 used to be boring.

Sponsored...by...nothing!!!

One opens the innings, the other doesn't.

Two completely different players. Pretty hard to compare, I could even go as far as using the word "pointless". Oops, just did.

Money Money Money Champion! Tournaments Won: 7
    Yup exactly, comparing two players with vastly different roles to play for their respective sides. Bat in different positions and they've different roles to play in terms of their bowling.

Kallis by so far I'm astounded such a thread exists.
    ~ Cribbage

Quote Originally Posted by Riggins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by simonlee48 View Post
    Sanga has done well but Murali has done better. In my opinion, Murali is simply the best off spinner in history of cricket and I can't make that kind of statement for Sanga.
    Sanga isn't the best off spinner in the history of cricket? News to me.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    How about we make the question "Who would win in a fight between Kallis and Jayasuriya?"

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    As Test batsmen? Simply no comparison, Kallis is the better by the proverbial length of a giant's foot. Similarly, a way, way better bowler too.

As ODI batsmen? Well, KiWi pretty much hit the nail on the head for mine, they're totally, completely different players, both of whom have performed their set roles absolutely brilliantly. I still think Kallis is probably the more classy player and certainly the more convincing one, but you cannot look past the fact that Jayasuriya murders bowling with a hint of something wrong with it in the right conditions with the field up more often and has done so for longer than almost anyone in ODI history (he's been doing it for 14 years now, which is an astonishing feat).
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Quote Originally Posted by Somerset View Post
    Yup exactly, comparing two players with vastly different roles to play for their respective sides. Bat in different positions and they've different roles to play in terms of their bowling.
    They're both all-rounders whose batting is their dominant skill. We're comparing the complete package, and the impact they can make for a team, in a match.

As ODI players, they're pretty close. The disparity between their numbers can be somewhat nulled by the fact that when Jayasuriya does well with the stick, SL go well. I'd dare say that over his whole career as an opener, he has been the batsman whom is the most important to his side in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    As Test batsmen? Simply no comparison, Kallis is the better by the proverbial length of a giant's foot. Similarly, a way, way better bowler too.

As ODI batsmen? Well, KiWi pretty much hit the nail on the head for mine, they're totally, completely different players, both of whom have performed their set roles absolutely brilliantly. I still think Kallis is probably the more classy player and certainly the more convincing one, but you cannot look past the fact that Jayasuriya murders bowling with a hint of something wrong with it in the right conditions with the field up more often and has done so for longer than almost anyone in ODI history (he's been doing it for 14 years now, which is an astonishing feat).
    We're comparing them as all-rounders here. As batsmen alone, Kallis no doubt has better figures, but he's a different player. Sanath still strikes the ball hard in Test matches and still averages over 40 with 14 centuries. They're vastly different in ODI's but what they do, how they do it and what effect they have is worth a thought.

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Arjun View Post
    Strike rate with the ball is a little low.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    In tests there's clearly no real comparison, even if he wasn't the superior batting technician Kallis's bowling was a genuine weapon earlier in his career and Jayasuriya's little left arm darts were hardly much more than a fill-in option, albeit a superior one.

In ODIs I think you can make a case for Sanath, given the sort of innings he has played, but the roles they play are so different it's chalk & cheese, for want of a better cliche.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"The committee discussed the issue of illegal bowling actions, and believed that there are a number of bowlers currently employing suspect actions in international cricket, and that the ICC's reporting and testing procedures are not adequately scrutinising these bowlers."
    - Even the ICC's own official press release thinks things must change

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    at this thread. You may as well ask who is the better batsman, Rahul Dravid or Irfan Pathan.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    As ODI players, they're pretty close. The disparity between their numbers can be somewhat nulled by the fact that when Jayasuriya does well with the stick, SL go well.
    So the same doesn't apply to Kallis and SA?

As a fairly simplistic way of looking at things - in the 56 instances of Kallis scoring 60 or more against ODI-class teams in his career, SA have won 38 (and tied 2) of these matches. That suggests at least a hint of Kallis-does-well-SA-do-well.
    I'd dare say that over his whole career as an opener, he has been the batsman whom is the most important to his side in the world.
    Jayasuriya's figures as an opener are excellent. He averages over 34 with a strike-rate of over 91. That truly is a superb set of figures.

The only thing that holds him back is that really good opening bowlers have usually got the better of him. And this isn't entirely surprising with his technique.

International Regular
    I agree with Richard.

In Test cricket, Kallis is by far the better player. He offers so much to a side, much more than Sanath anyway.

In ODI cricket, they both play there roles. Jayasuriya just slogs, no matter what position his team is in. Kallis works his way into his innings, and is far better suited to test matches. He has a formidable ODI average with a strike rate of 71, but his Test average of 57 is mind blowing. Especially considering he has to bowl as well. And he averages 31 with the ball as well. In test match, Kallis is obbviously better. When it comes to OD cricket, it's up to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakester1288 View Post
    I agree with Richard.

In Test cricket, Kallis is by far the better player. He offers so much to a side, much more than Sanath anyway.

In ODI cricket, they both play there roles. Jayasuriya just slogs, no matter what position his team is in. Kallis works his way into his innings, and is far better suited to test matches. He has a formidable ODI average with a strike rate of 71, but his Test average of 57 is mind blowing. Especially considering he has to bowl as well. And he averages 31 with the ball as well. In test match, Kallis is obbviously better. When it comes to OD cricket, it's up to you.
    Looking at figures alone, Kallis is definitely a better all-rounder. However, if you look at how practical a selection is, and what would help a team better, Sanath is not far behind. His left-arm spin may only be filler quality, but filler enough to replace an extra bowler. Sanath may be stereotyped as a part-timer but surely is a very under-rated bowler. To sum it up, it's statistics against impact.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information