• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sanath v/s Kallis

Who's the better all-rounder

• Total voters

open365

International Vice-Captain
I never realised Jayasuriya was as over-rated as he seems to be in this thread. I've never seen someone demolish crap bowling as well as he does, but if, hypothetically, there was a level above Test cricket, he'd be a massive failure for mine. He has few answers to quality bowling. Kallis on the other hand would still shine, or at worst be a pretty good batsman against the Martians or whoever he'd be facing.

EDIT: Just read that and realised what an awful criteria it was. Nevertheless, Kallis is still leagues ahead.

Jayasuriya was a decent Test batsman, a more-than-handy part-time bowler with impressive longevity and an amazing servant to Sri Lankan cricket, but he's not even on the same planet as Kallis as either a batsman or a bowler, let alone an allrounder.
I think you're distinction of Kallis being able to score runs against extra terrestrials is acctualy a pretty good point when comparing the two.

8-)

People are entitled to their opinion, and to even shoot someone down for suggesting that Sanath, out of all people, is not good to watch... well **** me dead that's ridiculous.
He wasn't 'shooting him down'?

Richard gets a fair amount of flack for people ill-interpreting what he means or how he means it, but even so I think his post there was quite clearly just him giving his differing opinion.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Surely some people are making comments on one dayers while others are for Test Matches.
Never really though of that TBH. I could definitely accept the view that Jayasuriya is/was a better ODI allrounder than Kallis; I don't necessarily agree with it but it's very close.

Just can't see how you could make an argument for it in Tests though.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Shoot someone down?

FFS, where the hell was I shooting Edmunds down? I was saying I find it amazing that anyone can consider Jayasuriya more attractive to watch than Kallis. And I do. Nothing wrong with that, any more than there is with preferring Shahid Afridi to Rahul Dravid, but I do find both quite remarkable.
I...

a) love Kallis
b) love Kallis' batting
c) love orthodox technical batting in general

yet I would rather watch Jayasuriya in any form of the game more-so than Kallis.

I think that says nothing surprising or denigrating about either my taste or my knowledge for the game.

If you were to ask who do I like better as a player? Kallis. Who do I rate better as a player? Kallis. Who would I want in my team? Kallis. But who would I rather watch is a different question, and Jayasuriya isn't some slogger or idiotic batsman like Afridi, so your above comparison doesn't fly at all.

Apologise for the overreaction, but how on Earth do you find it surprising? Jayasuriya is one of the batsman people most love to watch in world cricket, in either form, when in full flight. Not just casual fans, the majority of cricket fans absolutely adore watching him bat.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Surely some people are making comments on one dayers while others are for Test Matches.
Never really though of that TBH. I could definitely accept the view that Jayasuriya is/was a better ODI allrounder than Kallis; I don't necessarily agree with it but it's very close.

Just can't see how you could make an argument for it in Tests though.
Was considering saying what your namesake Bowen said in that post you've just quoted, but he beat me to it.

I hope such people who voted Jayasuriya did so because they realised how completely OOTQ the idea of him being a better Test all-rounder was so simply assumed the question wasn't remotely being asked.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I...

a) love Kallis
b) love Kallis' batting
c) love orthodox technical batting in general

yet I would rather watch Jayasuriya in any form of the game more-so than Kallis.

I think that says nothing surprising or denigrating about either my taste or my knowledge for the game.

If you were to ask who do I like better as a player? Kallis. Who do I rate better as a player? Kallis. Who would I want in my team? Kallis. But who would I rather watch is a different question, and Jayasuriya isn't some slogger or idiotic batsman like Afridi, so your above comparison doesn't fly at all.
You're getting "who's best" and "who do I prefer to watch" confused even while trying to separate them. The reason for the comparison with Afridi is that some people prefer to watch Afridi, same as some people prefer to watch Jayasuriya. It doesn't matter that Afridi is an idiotic slogger and Jayasuriya a decent batsman, both of them some people like watching them bat for whatever reasons.

The fact is, you basically accused me of doing something when I was doing nothing of the sort. I wasn't criticising anyone for preferring to watch something - simply saying I found it amazing. Surprising and denigrating are two completely and totally different things, and you can most certainly have the former without a trace of the latter. I would never attempt to denigrate Edmunds, he's one of the best posters on the forum.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Tests, Kallis is miles ahead. In ODis, Jayasuriya is a notch ahead, because he has been a top all rounder (batsman, bowler, fielder and a captain) for a longer time than Kallis, and more efficiently at that.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
You're getting "who's best" and "who do I prefer to watch" confused even while trying to separate them. The reason for the comparison with Afridi is that some people prefer to watch Afridi, same as some people prefer to watch Jayasuriya. It doesn't matter that Afridi is an idiotic slogger and Jayasuriya a decent batsman, both of them some people like watching them bat for whatever reasons.

The fact is, you basically accused me of doing something when I was doing nothing of the sort. I wasn't criticising anyone for preferring to watch something - simply saying I found it amazing. Surprising and denigrating are two completely and totally different things, and you can most certainly have the former without a trace of the latter. I would never attempt to denigrate Edmunds, he's one of the best posters on the forum.
Yep you're right Richards. My apologies.

ret

International Debutant
Kallis batting/bowling on a flat-track could be a liability .... while a Jayasuriya in pace bowler friendly conditions

in tests - Kallis
in ODIs - Jayasuriya

gwo

U19 Debutant
Being talked of more often doesn't make one better, it just makes them more standing-out-from-the-crowd - different. Same as people who try to use that in the Knight-Gilchrist thing - it's really quite meaningless.

Being run-of-the-mill, quiet, and very good > being out-of-the-box and less good.
Wait... are you saying Nick Knight > Adam Gilchrist as a batsman?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Lol, Perm I was actually sincerely apologising. I probably accused Richard of doing something he didn't do.

In test Cricket definitely Kallis is far better. For one day cricket i would definitely go for Sanath. he is a real match winner. I am not sure Kallis can win a match for his team in modern day cricket even after playing the full quota of 50 overs. Sanath can do that if he stays at crease for just 20 overs.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Wait... are you saying Nick Knight > Adam Gilchrist as a batsman?
ITSTL, wonder what was in here. Yeah, of course there's a fairly obvious case that Knight was a better ODI opening batsman than Gilchrist. There's also a case for the other way around, but to dismiss out-of-hand the idea is clear stupidity.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
ITSTL, wonder what was in here. Yeah, of course there's a fairly obvious case that Knight was a better ODI opening batsman than Gilchrist. There's also a case for the other way around, but to dismiss out-of-hand the idea is clear stupidity.
It was a four letter word beginning with the letter that follows R in the alphabet and ending with the letter that precedes U but with several I's in the middle, presumably to avoid the filter. What's the obvious case for Knight being superior to Gilchrist?

open365

International Vice-Captain
It was a four letter word beginning with the letter that follows R in the alphabet and ending with the letter that precedes U but with several I's in the middle, presumably to avoid the filter. What's the obvious case for Knight being superior to Gilchrist?
He has a substantialy higher average