• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa's best cricketer since re-admission

South Africa's best cricketer since re-admission

• Total voters

Craig

World Traveller
Hansie Cronje is not counted due to his least then reputable activities outside of cricket :dry:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Difficult question.

As far as single-role players are concerned, Donald was a better bowler for me than anyone else and also a better bowler than anyone who's held a bat is batsman. But it's impossible to look past the all-round contributions of Kallis and Pollock.

As to who's better out of Kallis and Pollock... an impossible question really. I've always been inclined to go for Pollock, but there really is virtually nothing in it.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Not the greatest fan of the way he sometimes plays, but I can't see past Kallis. Running G Pollock pretty close as SA's best ever batsman & a useful bowler to boot.

Craig

World Traveller
Surely Jacques Kallis will get this double century monkey off his back this up-coming season. If not, next year or two.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Maybe Kallis is more valuable than Donald. However, to be the 'best', IMO, there has to be an aura of specialness surrounding them.

Kallis is a great but Donald was special. The prototype athletic fast bowler. Not just a fantastic bowler but stunning to watch.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Tremendously tough one for me, but Kallis' career has to go down as a close(ish) second to Garfield Sobers in terms of batting all rounder. Kallis was a good bowler early in his career (as well as being a solid batsman, obviously) and now he is one of the world's best batsmen.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hansie Cronje is not counted due to his least then reputable activities outside of cricket :dry:
I don't see the point in excluding him when we are judging, I assume, purely on cricketing ability and success on the field.

Marius

International Debutant
Paul Adams should be nowhere near that poll. If we had to choose a post-isolation XI, Adams wouldn't make the second side.

Cullinan wasn't the best, but I think was under-rated. If only he'd played in a different era from Warne8-) He would have been remembered as one of the best batsmen that SA has ever produced.

Craig

World Traveller
Paul Adams should be nowhere near that poll. If we had to choose a post-isolation XI, Adams wouldn't make the second side.

Cullinan wasn't the best, but I think was under-rated. If only he'd played in a different era from Warne8-) He would have been remembered as one of the best batsmen that SA has ever produced.
Paul Adams is the irrelevant final option, no different had I put 'Coca-cola' or Bryan Habana's name down, even though he plays rugby. It is a CW tradition :)

Anyway a post-isolation XI would be an interesting idea. Anyone want to have a crack at it?

Briony

International Debutant
Well we're not exactly spoiled for choice but it has to be Kallis. The problem for Kallis and Pollock is that as good as their stats look, I don't think they have proven to be matchwinners on too many occasions.

SA doesn't seem to produce too many good cricketers these days. Is it because most South Africans prefer rugby and very few play cricket?