• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa's best cricketer since re-admission

South Africa's best cricketer since re-admission

• Total voters

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Aye, I do. Just irritates me that people overdo the Donald-was-poor-against-Australia thing.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't think he really pushes the top couple here anyway. Not enough to massively affect the poll.
Nah, I don't think he'd be able to compete with Pollock, Kallis and Donald as South Africa's premier players since re-admission. Was just making the point about excluding Cronje based on his off-field actions, which, IMO, shouldn't be considered when judging the guy as a cricketer. Happens a bit around here, something that bothers me a little.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Nah, I don't think he'd be able to compete with Pollock, Kallis and Donald as South Africa's premier players since re-admission. Was just making the point about excluding Cronje based on his off-field actions, which, IMO, shouldn't be considered when judging the guy as a cricketer. Happens a bit around here, something that bothers me a little.
They weren't really off-field actions though.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
They weren't really off-field actions though.
Well, no, to an extent, but did they compromise his years of batting, bowling and fielding acheivements for South Africa in both forms of the international game? All I'm saying is that in this situation, players should be judged on their performances, not on things such as match-fixing. IMO, of course.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Well, no, to an extent, but did they compromise his years of batting, bowling and fielding acheivements for South Africa in both forms of the international game? All I'm saying is that in this situation, players should be judged on their performances, not on things such as match-fixing. IMO, of course.
Nah, should be treated like leperous pariahs and their names shouldn't be spoken or retained in record books or Statsguru tbh...

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Nah, should be treated like leperous pariahs and their names shouldn't be spoken or retained in record books or Statsguru tbh...
Personally think all stats in matches SA lost under Cronje should be removed from the records, due to the possibility of match fixing :ph34r:

If we can filter out Bangaldesh matches, we can filter our Cronje loss :p

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's like the Lillee was poor vs Pakistan thing really :ph34r:
Indeed, and as I've said I understand anyone getting annoyed at someone suggesting "Lillee was a conclusive and obvious failure in Pakistan". Because he wasn't. And nor was Donald a failure against Australia.

He was, however, totally unproven in the subcontinent.