Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Powerplay rule change

International Debutant

Powerplay rule change

PowerPlay Overs (ODIs)
    The batting team will be permitted to choose when one of either the second or third PowerPlays takes place. It was also agreed that three fielders be permitted outside the field restriction areas during both the second and third PowerPlays. Previously the third fielder was allowed outside the circle during either the second or third PowerPlay. The idea behind the amendment is to offer greater opportunity for spinners to bowl with the safety net of more protection for spinners

they did this in the ford ranger..but

So this is a new rule change then? If so then it is a good one IMO.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Cricket Spectator
    This is a good rule change IMO as the batsmen will also have to think about when to use it, as i imagine it would be the two out in the middle who make the decision and not always the captain. Although i can see it just being used at the end of an innings a lot, and when that happens it would be carnage in the last 5 overs. Although that would make a good watch it may become to predictable with teams only using it in the last 5 overs.

I think this is a good move by the ICC although they have to make sure they don't make the game too batsmen friendly. They have to try and ensure the battle between ball and bat is an even one.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pooley View Post
    This is a good rule change IMO as the batsmen will also have to think about when to use it, as i imagine it would be the two out in the middle who make the decision and not always the captain. Although i can see it just being used at the end of an innings a lot, and when that happens it would be carnage in the last 5 overs. Although that would make a good watch it may become to predictable with teams only using it in the last 5 overs.

I think this is a good move by the ICC although they have to make sure they don't make the game too batsmen friendly. They have to try and ensure the battle between ball and bat is an even one.
    Teams generally go for it in the final 5 overs, powerplay or not. I'd say most teams will do it between the 41st-45th overs or the 36th-40th overs.

Money Money Money Champion! Tournaments Won: 7
    All this does is give more power to the batting side - and if a side has wickets in hand and chooses to use the power play within the final ten overs of the innings, I'd imagine we'll see some absolute carnage. Yet to be convinced it would be a positive change though.
    Last edited by Somerset; 05-07-2008 at 03:36 AM.

International Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Somerset View Post
    All this does is give more power to the batting side.
    That's the idea of every rule pertaining to fielding restrictions as the powers that be assume that most fans want to see more and more runs being scored.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Was always worried this crap was going to happen TBH.

At least hopefully it might mean the idea is used more as it was designed - to give more variety to the time when the field-restrictions are in place.

I still hope one day fielding captains might realise it's potentially to their advantage to do so too.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

More faffing

I wish I got paid for every time I got to use the word faffing in relation to OD rule changes. The game changes its rules every 4 months. Its a joke
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pooley View Post

If there's a big scary last-5-overs powerplay coming up at the end of an innings it gives the fielding side an incentive to try to bowl the batting team out. Which is important because the thing that can make ODIs so painful to watch is the 'singles down to third man' middle overs.
    Doubt it'll work though.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    I think this was bound to happen sooner or later tbh
    "It was an easy decision to sign. I could have gone elsewhere, I had calls, but it never entered my mind it's not about the money."
    Jason Koumas

SWA

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

~ Cribbage

Quote Originally Posted by Riggins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by simonlee48 View Post
    Sanga has done well but Murali has done better. In my opinion, Murali is simply the best off spinner in history of cricket and I can't make that kind of statement for Sanga.
    Sanga isn't the best off spinner in the history of cricket? News to me.

International Debutant Natman20's Avatar
    Just leave it be as is. Why did they change this? It takes away from the game of ODI cricket and would make it more like a T20 slog fest at the end. Maybe it would be a good thing as in T20 cricket but does ODI cricket need to make it less challenging for the batsmen? One of the things is that batsmen have to play well to score aggressively in the last ten overs in this change just keep wickets in hand and blast it at the end.

I swear I wake up every day and the ICC have done something stupid or something bad happens in cricket match.

International Vice-Captain open365's Avatar
    I fear this might make the middle overs even more tedious as the batsman know they can score at an even bigger rate during the last ten overs so they will be even more cautious in the middle.

ret
    I liked the old PP of 15 overs though I thought then that they should allow up to 3 men out-side the circle and may be increase the PP to 100 balls [1/3 of 300 balls a side gets to face] from 90

from the current rule, i would like the PP to be reduced to 18 overs from 20, with the 2nd and 3rd PP of 4 overs each and allow up to 3 men outside the circle at all times
    Fastest gun in town

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    We should also give the batsmen 20m boundaries and steel bats.

Or alternatively, the bowlers get rocket launchers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information