• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Powerplay rule change

Laurrz

International Debutant
PowerPlay Overs (ODIs)
The batting team will be permitted to choose when one of either the second or third PowerPlays takes place. It was also agreed that three fielders be permitted outside the field restriction areas during both the second and third PowerPlays. Previously the third fielder was allowed outside the circle during either the second or third PowerPlay. The idea behind the amendment is to offer greater opportunity for spinners to bowl with the safety net of more protection for spinners

they did this in the ford ranger..but
:blink:

Mr. Pooley

Cricket Spectator
This is a good rule change IMO as the batsmen will also have to think about when to use it, as i imagine it would be the two out in the middle who make the decision and not always the captain. Although i can see it just being used at the end of an innings a lot, and when that happens it would be carnage in the last 5 overs. Although that would make a good watch it may become to predictable with teams only using it in the last 5 overs.

I think this is a good move by the ICC although they have to make sure they don't make the game too batsmen friendly. They have to try and ensure the battle between ball and bat is an even one.

sideshowtim

Banned
This is a good rule change IMO as the batsmen will also have to think about when to use it, as i imagine it would be the two out in the middle who make the decision and not always the captain. Although i can see it just being used at the end of an innings a lot, and when that happens it would be carnage in the last 5 overs. Although that would make a good watch it may become to predictable with teams only using it in the last 5 overs.

I think this is a good move by the ICC although they have to make sure they don't make the game too batsmen friendly. They have to try and ensure the battle between ball and bat is an even one.
Teams generally go for it in the final 5 overs, powerplay or not. I'd say most teams will do it between the 41st-45th overs or the 36th-40th overs.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
All this does is give more power to the batting side - and if a side has wickets in hand and chooses to use the power play within the final ten overs of the innings, I'd imagine we'll see some absolute carnage. Yet to be convinced it would be a positive change though.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Was always worried this crap was going to happen TBH.

At least hopefully it might mean the idea is used more as it was designed - to give more variety to the time when the field-restrictions are in place.

I still hope one day fielding captains might realise it's potentially to their advantage to do so too.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
More faffing :@

I wish I got paid for every time I got to use the word faffing in relation to OD rule changes. The game changes its rules every 4 months. Its a joke

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!

If there's a big scary last-5-overs powerplay coming up at the end of an innings it gives the fielding side an incentive to try to bowl the batting team out. Which is important because the thing that can make ODIs so painful to watch is the 'singles down to third man' middle overs.
Doubt it'll work though.

Natman20

International Debutant
Just leave it be as is. Why did they change this? It takes away from the game of ODI cricket and would make it more like a T20 slog fest at the end. Maybe it would be a good thing as in T20 cricket but does ODI cricket need to make it less challenging for the batsmen? One of the things is that batsmen have to play well to score aggressively in the last ten overs in this change just keep wickets in hand and blast it at the end.

I swear I wake up every day and the ICC have done something stupid or something bad happens in cricket match.

open365

International Vice-Captain
I fear this might make the middle overs even more tedious as the batsman know they can score at an even bigger rate during the last ten overs so they will be even more cautious in the middle.

ret

International Debutant
I liked the old PP of 15 overs though I thought then that they should allow up to 3 men out-side the circle and may be increase the PP to 100 balls [1/3 of 300 balls a side gets to face] from 90

from the current rule, i would like the PP to be reduced to 18 overs from 20, with the 2nd and 3rd PP of 4 overs each and allow up to 3 men outside the circle at all times

Flem274*

123/5
We should also give the batsmen 20m boundaries and steel bats.

Or alternatively, the bowlers get rocket launchers.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
This worked reasonable well in the FR Cup. Don't really care though.
Yeah, it does work well at domestic level, I'll admit.

However, if the ICC really believes the ODI game needs something else brought in to favour the batsmen they need sacking. I think this'd work fantastically with more balanced pitches and bigger boundaries but as it is it'll be dire.

Craig

World Traveller
That's the idea of every rule pertaining to fielding restrictions as the powers that be assume that most fans want to see more and more runs being scored.
Or rather in the 70's (for example) if a team had a chance of winning in the final over of a match, the captain would place all and sundry on the fence (including the wicket-keeper), you would go for that instead?

I like it though, it is one thing to wait until the 36th over to launch, but there is no certainty you will have wickets in place to be able to do it. There are a lot of pros and cons and such I have discussed many a time on here, so I won't repeat myself. But if a team is bowling and is so concerned about it favouring the batsman, well maybe they should learn to bowl better at the death or come up with better tatics.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Or rather in the 70's (for example) if a team had a chance of winning in the final over of a match, the captain would place all and sundry on the fence (including the wicket-keeper), you would go for that instead?
Not sure what you're getting at, making that impossible was also a rule introduced to aid the batting side, as is this new change.