• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Imagine this attack for Champions Trophy

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Sohail Tanvir's ODI performances against ODI-class teams so far have been mostly very poor indeed. I'll be surprised if he's ever that good in ODIs.

Shoaib will hopefully never play again, but I've thought that before. Asif I haven't a clue what the current situation is, Umar Gul is very poor in ODIs still, and I don't know a thing about these two latest fellows to be introduced.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
We're talking about the Champions Trophy, not League, so IPL form has precisely nothing to do with it. Sohail Tanvir does not look world class.

itduzz

Banned
Gul is the best death bowler right now....on par with Lee

Akhtar will hopefully play again and put the FTBs like Marsh,Watson,Gambheer ack to their places...

Tanvir is improving day by day..

Ajmal had a gr8 debut against Indians on karachi track....

Aussie spinners....:laugh:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Gul is the best death bowler right now....on par with Lee
I think not.
Akhtar will hopefully play again and put the FTBs like Marsh,Watson,Gambheer ack to their places...
And in the process put paid to any Pakistan team unity.
Tanvir is improving day by day..
Not really.
Ajmal had a gr8 debut against Indians on karachi track....
Wow, a whole 1 game...
Aussie spinners....:laugh:
Aussie spinners matter to Pakistan how?

Mr Mxyzptlk

I haven't seen him bowl and he's been operating on flat pitches in the Asia Cup, but what has Tanvir done to suggest that he's improving? He's played 5 matches this year and only once has he taken more than 1 wicket in 5 full 10-over spells. Yes, he took 5-48 in that spell, but has done nothing otherwise. Going for runs often. His record against ODI standard teams is poor, which (and I'm going to sound like Richard here) is hardly surprising given how poor his domestic record is. Rana Naved in a mirror, IMO.

Regarding Umar Gul, I rate him as a bowler but nowhere near as good as Lee. Regarding Marsh and Watson, they've not exactly wandered out of their place. Neither has been outstanding at international level.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Imagine this attack for the Champions Trophy:

Garner
Wasim
McGrath
Muralitharan
Heath Davis

.. because it has about much chance of appearing there as the one listed in the first post.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Davis has the raw pace, but will never be ODI standard. Not accurate enough and his domestic record is distinctly average. And Joel Garner's done nothing in ODIs for the last 21 years.

open365

International Vice-Captain
Cant ever see Tanvir being successful with that action tbh.
When I first saw him bowl I thought he'd be really good because of it because at the time he seemed unplayable. Then I watched him when he going at 6 and over and realised that once a batsman gets accustomed to his action it really isn't that great an advantage.

DaRick

State Vice-Captain
Aussie spinners matter to Pakistan how?
They don't. itduzz's anti-Australia bias is so strong that no post of his (or hers) is truly complete without him (or her) slipping in an unwarranted slight at Australia's supposed travails.

Anyway:

Akhtar - A very good ODI bowler, but his best seems like a distant memory these days
Asif - His ODI record is surprisingly poor, particularly against ODI-class nations
Gul - Not a very good ODI bowler against ODI-class nations - also an overrated Test bowler
Tanvir - The only time I've really seen him bowl well is during the IPL

Afridi is fine as a fifth bowler, but can Ajmal bat well enough to take up the role as a fifth bowler? At any rate, why would you play four pacemen on all but the most conducive pitches without fear of being penalised for slow over-rates?

As others have pointed out, this attack also has as much chance of appearing as a white person would at one of Jeremiah Wright's churches.

Last edited:

DaRick

State Vice-Captain
Ajmal has better DOOSRA than Saqlain/Murali according to Waqar Younis....:-O
You should know that the doosra doesn't make the off-spinner. Saqlain's career was adversely affected as a result of the doosra (and injury, too). Harbhajan's Test record has also suffered after introducing the doosra.

At any rate, Waqar Younis is a fast bowler. I don't see how he'd be able to properly assess an off-spinner's doosra.

tooextracool

International Coach
When I first saw him bowl I thought he'd be really good because of it because at the time he seemed unplayable. Then I watched him when he going at 6 and over and realised that once a batsman gets accustomed to his action it really isn't that great an advantage.
People said the same thing about Paul Adams when he first came in as well and look at how he turned out. The problem with unusual actions is that it usual for bowlers with said actions to be less accurate. Once the novelty of a new action wears out and people start to get accustomed to it it becomes quite easy to handle.