• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ishant Sharma...overcoached?!

Lambu

U19 Debutant
Thats it...i'm sick of his bowling tbh..he is nowhere near the same bowler that he was a couple of months ago.The only significant change i can see is that he has started coming very close to the stumps(upon)..whilst this should be the standard approach to be "successful"..i don't think its working for him tbh.The ball is not deviating at all,whereas in Aus he used to come from really wide of the crease and bowl those massive cutters which came in to the RHB and the odd one that held its line.So what do you all think?Is that what is wrong?If it isn't i don't know what could be?

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sharma didn't actually take that many wickets in australia, he's been overhyped to an extent. Don't worry about such things after a few poor ODIs, he's only what, 19/20? I'm sure he'll grow to be a world-class bowler in time.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Thats it...i'm sick of his bowling tbh..he is nowhere near the same bowler that he was a couple of months ago.The only significant change i can see is that he has started coming very close to the stumps(upon)..whilst this should be the standard approach to be "successful"..i don't think its working for him tbh.The ball is not deviating at all,whereas in Aus he used to come from really wide of the crease and bowl those massive cutters which came in to the RHB and the odd one that held its line.So what do you all think?Is that what is wrong?If it isn't i don't know what could be?
There is nothing except that you are expecting too much from a young kid who did better than you were expecting at the start of his career. He is not as bad a bowler as you are now making him out to be and he was never as BIG a player as he was made out to be befre that.

Just tone down your expectations of your players, dont see a Bradman in every impressive debutant batsman or a Larwood in every good debutant bowler and you will be fine and so will they.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Sharma didn't actually take that many wickets in australia, he's been overhyped to an extent. Don't worry about such things after a few poor ODIs, he's only what, 19/20? I'm sure he'll grow to be a world-class bowler in time.
There we go again. How do we know that. Maybe he will maybe he wont. Its too early to say. He has started well but so had dozens before him who are consigned to the dustbins of history.

Just stop being so hasty in judging one way or the other and enjoy his career as it unfolds and let him do the same.

Lambu

U19 Debutant
^ all that is fine SJS..it doesn't bother me one bit that he isn't proving to be as good as i had thought initially..But what happened to those in-swinging(cutter?) delievries that he bowled on a regular basis..our expectations are one thing(and on such flat pitches they must be bare minimal) but what about that technical aspect?I just hate it,when people try to "correct" a bowler.Imo,each bowler must have his unique approach.Just wanted to know if this near the stumps approach has handicapped him?

Uppercut

There we go again. How do we know that. Maybe he will maybe he wont. Its too early to say. He has started well but so had dozens before him who are consigned to the dustbins of history.

Just stop being so hasty in judging one way or the other and enjoy his career as it unfolds and let him do the same.
Sorry. He just seemed very upset so it felt like the thing to say :mellow:

Mr Mxyzptlk

Worth noting that virtually no seam bowler has done well in the Asia Cup thus far. Not with any consistency, at least.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I need to bring back the Indian Wheel of Mediocrity and add quite a few names. One of the main reasons I made is for reasons just like these - people elevating a new fast bowler to legendary status and anointing him as the savior of Indian fast bowling, only to watch him crash and burn, and then pick the next sensation.

Let's see, just in recent times, we had Nehra, Balaji, Pathan, Agarkar, Sreesanth, Munaf, Zaheer, and now Ishant. All, when they came on the screen, were touted as the Next Big Thing. It's quite amusing to me.

open365

International Vice-Captain
I need to bring back the Indian Wheel of Mediocrity and add quite a few names. One of the main reasons I made is for reasons just like these - people elevating a new fast bowler to legendary status and anointing him as the savior of Indian fast bowling, only to watch him crash and burn, and then pick the next sensation.

Let's see, just in recent times, we had Nehra, Balaji, Pathan, Agarkar, Sreesanth, Munaf, Zaheer, and now Ishant. All, when they came on the screen, were touted as the Next Big Thing. It's quite amusing to me.
Hang on a minute, you've just listed the entire Indian pace attack from the past decade.

Oh wait....

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
As usual, too Much cricket will kill his talent. The Ishant Sharma who was bowling @ 140K+ in Australia has already become 130K+ and will soon become 120K+ .

unccricket

School Boy/Girl Captain
also worth noting is the flat pitches used in Asia Cup...that said, India tend to overrate all of their players - fast bowlers especially.

Top_Cat

As usual, too Much cricket will kill his talent. The Ishant Sharma who was bowling @ 140K+ in Australia has already become 130K+ and will soon become 120K+ .
Another two months and he'll be Richard's pace.

EDIT: Should also be pointed out that he took 2/55 against a team that scored 300+ last night. Not a great deal wrong with that. If anything, Irfan Pathan's form has been far more erratic.

Last edited:

Burgey

Give him time for goodness sake.

He bowled well in Australia and showed terrific potential, but he's only a pup - cricketers of any discipline who are able to be consistently at their best at his age are like hens' teeth.

Laurrz

International Debutant
in Aus he used to come from really wide of the crease and bowl those massive cutters which came in to the RHB and the odd one that held its line.?
Ah, i remember that well.. our RHB were all at sea
he reverse swung it too... shouldnt judge him on this ODI series, if anything he's actually bowled well on these flat tracks

I think he should stick to that wide of the crease angle..perhaps vary and play around with the crease, i dont know.. i just know he was such a handful from that angle

tooextracool

International Coach
Another two months and he'll be Richard's pace.

EDIT: Should also be pointed out that he took 2/55 against a team that scored 300+ last night. Not a great deal wrong with that. If anything, Irfan Pathan's form has been far more erratic.
Irfan has never been anything great so his blip hardly surprising in my book. i just hope we see 3 of Praveen kumar, Zaheer Khan, RP Singh and Ishant Sharma in the side for their next test series and hope that Pathan comes nowhere near selection.

DaRick

State Vice-Captain
Irfan has never been anything great so his blip hardly surprising in my book. i just hope we see 3 of Praveen kumar, Zaheer Khan, RP Singh and Ishant Sharma in the side for their next test series and hope that Pathan comes nowhere near selection.
Piffle. RP Singh is, in my eyes, the most overrated of the current Indian seamers - that's really saying something, in this case. He's like a poorer left-arm version of James Anderson (wouldn't necessarily have said that he was poorer a couple of months ago). Given that I don't really rate Anderson highly (given his proven incompetence in non-swinging conditions against good batting line-ups), that's some stinging criticism, right there.

Sreesanth, Ishant, Zaheer are the three most ideal Indian seamers, for mine. Praveen Kumar may have shown a capacity to move the white ball, but moving the red ball, as people like Mitchell Johnson will no doubt tell you, is an entirely different business. I'd have him as backup.

As for Ishant Sharma, I wouldn't worry too much about his on-field form. Bowling well on roads does not necessarily lead to a bucketload of wickets, or, in the case of ODI's, a good economy rate (although you obviously have a better chance of attaining one if you bowl well). Irfan Pathan, particularly in the South African Test matches, looked toothless and bereft of any real pace. Ishant has shown an ability to bowl at far greater speeds with greater movement than Pathan, although both can be expensive.

Last edited: