• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ishant Sharma...overcoached?!

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
I need to bring back the Indian Wheel of Mediocrity and add quite a few names. One of the main reasons I made is for reasons just like these - people elevating a new fast bowler to legendary status and anointing him as the savior of Indian fast bowling, only to watch him crash and burn, and then pick the next sensation.

Let's see, just in recent times, we had Nehra, Balaji, Pathan, Agarkar, Sreesanth, Munaf, Zaheer, and now Ishant. All, when they came on the screen, were touted as the Next Big Thing. It's quite amusing to me.
Well at least since 06 in SA Zaheer has come back a better bowler.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Give him time for goodness sake.

He bowled well in Australia and showed terrific potential, but he's only a pup - cricketers of any discipline who are able to be consistently at their best at his age are like hens' teeth.
So did Pathan in 03/04 was touted the next Akram look at him now. As mentioned before by other poster i think its a mixture of being touted the saviour of Indian fast bowling & the amount of international cricket that is being played that hurts these young Indian quicks.

But unlike England's inability to produce any decent leg-spinner on the bright side for Indian at least fast bowlers are coming through so hopefully in the near future one will go unto some form of success on the international stage even if by the end of his career he isn't recognised as world-class or a great.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So did Pathan in 03/04 was touted the next Akram look at him now. As mentioned before by other poster i think its a mixture of being touted the saviour of Indian fast bowling & the amount of international cricket that is being played that hurts these young Indian quicks.

But unlike England's inability to produce any decent leg-spinner on the bright side for Indian at least fast bowlers are coming through so hopefully in the near future one will go unto some form of success on the international stage even if by the end of his career he isn't recognised as world-class or a great.
True, but if we're going to bag someone for saying he's the ducks guts when he's still unproven, we have to adopt the same approach to people who call him a nothing after a couple of poor games when he's still unproven.
It's a wait and see thing, surely.

FRAZ

International Captain
Sharma is a decent bowler and he should work hard on his rhythm and gym . A decent pace man and I guess he is the best of Indian lot so far . I believe that he will go far and I seldom say such stuff about any player . Remember when I said that Dhoni will go big in cricket so watch out for Ishant too ...

pasag

RTDAS
Probably playing too much cricket for mine, so many ODIs and Twenty20s with limited breaks, he's going to be run into the ground.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Praveen Kumar may have shown a capacity to move the white ball, but moving the red ball, as people like Mitchell Johnson will no doubt tell you, is an entirely different business. I'd have him as backup.
Mitchell Johnson swings the white ball? :ph34r:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Oh FRAZ, I love you. Especially in conjunction with Gelman.

You should never have dropped it from your repetoire. Get the new version up ASAP.
Beginning to agree with that. It seems Indian fans never learn. Producing exactly one decent fast bowler, and zero all time great fast bowlers in the last sixty years isn't enough of a trend for some. At least not enough of a trend to reserve judgment of a new player until he has actually played a little bit.

tooextracool

International Coach
Piffle. RP Singh is, in my eyes, the most overrated of the current Indian seamers - that's really saying something, in this case. He's like a poorer left-arm version of James Anderson (wouldn't necessarily have said that he was poorer a couple of months ago). Given that I don't really rate Anderson highly (given his proven incompetence in non-swinging conditions against good batting line-ups), that's some stinging criticism, right there.

Sreesanth, Ishant, Zaheer are the three most ideal Indian seamers, for mine. Praveen Kumar may have shown a capacity to move the white ball, but moving the red ball, as people like Mitchell Johnson will no doubt tell you, is an entirely different business. I'd have him as backup.

As for Ishant Sharma, I wouldn't worry too much about his on-field form. Bowling well on roads does not necessarily lead to a bucketload of wickets, or, in the case of ODI's, a good economy rate (although you obviously have a better chance of attaining one if you bowl well). Irfan Pathan, particularly in the South African Test matches, looked toothless and bereft of any real pace. Ishant has shown an ability to bowl at far greater speeds with greater movement than Pathan, although both can be expensive.

RP Singh gets the ball to swing both conventional and reverse. Now I know there are problems with his accuracy and ability to bowl cutters when the ball is not swinging but he bowls at a decent pace and for my money has done a decent while not tremendous job for India after being made to lead the attack with very little experience. I am not convinced about him just yet, but I feel that he has far more potential that Irfan Pathan who IMO is merely a poor mans James Franklin.

Now if Praveen Kumar cannot swing the red ball, I cannot on earth fathom how a bowler that bowls at barely 130ks can manage to take 8 5 wicket hauls at an avg of 21.5 in 25 FC games in India. I very much doubt that he cant swing the red ball and the only way we will know whether or not he can is by playing him at the test level. The only worrying attribute is his pace, but if he is a smart bowler who can bowl cutters and and slower balls, I think he will be just fine.

As far as Mitchell is concerned, the lad averages almost 32 in FC cricket. Someone in Australia should have bothered showing up to watch FC cricket to see whether he could actually swing the red cherry before drafting him into the test side. Australian selectors are really amongst the worst in the world and I shudder to think what might have happened had they been in charge of a team like NZ.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Although it has 'vanished' from youtube, I have seen Praveen's 8 wicket haul in the Ranji Trophy and there was considerable swing in both directions to get his wickets - by considerable, I do mean to an extent more than anyone else on the international circuit; however, it wasn't massively late.

Ishant Sharma's 'decline' says little about him being 'finished' or tarnished to mediocraty. It is just an example of the contrast between Australian pitches and the flattest of the subcontinent as well as a contrast between the atmospheric conditions which have conventional swing throughout the powerplays in Australia but barely through the opening spells in this Asia Cup. Keep in mind that Ishant's game is not about attrition, it is about pace off the pitch, bounce and seam movement and these do not translate well to very flat pitches. Moreover, bowlers clock higher speeds in Australia - due to whatever, and this translates to simply being able to bowl quicker in Australia which will lead to better performances, taking the mitigating factors into consideration.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Probably playing too much cricket for mine, so many ODIs and Twenty20s with limited breaks, he's going to be run into the ground.
Indeed and it also leaves little time to hone the skills and develop/learn new skills. India's problem has been too many cricket and its fast bowlers are the biggest victims, some due to injury and some due to the limited skills.

Jakester1288

International Regular
He is a young player. Whenever an Indian has a bad game, the media and fans are all over them. I couldn't imagine the pressure of beingan Indian cricketer, with thousands of people following you, criticising every move they make unless they suceed. Sometimes I think you just need to lay off your players a bit, and now it's time to let Sharma do his own thing.

funnygirl

State Regular
Not all Indians are like that ,more like younger generation,very demanding indeed .As for Ishant from what i have seen he is a better test bowler (thank God ) than ODI/20-20. He should be saved from these meaningless tournaments like Kitply cup ,Asia cup.