Thread: Englandís (Provisional) Champions Trophy Squad

International Vice-Captain open365's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wpdavid View Post
    Even so, we've got:
    - Carberry, Cook, Strauss & Key who are openers
    - Bell who is currently opening
    - Wright who usually opens
    - Mustard & Prior who will open if picked
    - Joyce who opened last time he played for us (does he open for Middx in List A games?)

Whereas for postions 4-6 we have:
    - KP who's currently at 3 anyway
    - Bopara, Collingwood & Shah from the current side
    - Fred who should probably be at 7 anyway
    - which leaves Patel as our only alternative for 2 or 3 places in the middle order

That strikes me as odd, esp with Trott not betting a look-in.
    I think a lot of those players you mentioned as openers won't be viewed strictly as openers though, Carberry/Strauss/Key will probably be used where ever they're needed I reckon

FBU
    Players from the last provisional ICC CT squad (Fletcher and Graveney's) not in this one -

Blackwell, Chapple, Clarke, Dalrymple, Giles, Gough, Harmison, Hoggard, GJones, Lewis, Loudon, Loye, Read, Solanki, Trescothick, Yardy.

New faces (Moores and Miller)
    Carberry, Key, Shah, Patel, SJones, Panesar, Pattinson, Sidebottom, Tremlett, Ambrose, Mascarenhas, Mustard, Prior, Swann, Tredwell, Wright

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Yardy has fallen from grace sharply, hasn't he?

I guess an indication that he was elevated hopelessly above his worth.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TT Boy View Post
    Tim Ambrose, James Anderson, Ian Bell, Ravi Bopara, Tim Bresnan, Stuart Broad, Michael Carberry, Paul Collingwood, Alastair Cook, Andrew Flintoff, Simon Jones, Ed Joyce, Rob Key, Sajid Mahmood, Dimitri Mascarenhas, Phil Mustard, Graham Onions, Monty Panesar, Samit Patel, Darren Pattinson, Kevin Pietersen, Liam Plunkett, Matt Prior, Owais Shah, Ryan Sidebottom, Andrew Strauss, Graeme Swann, James Tredwell, Chris Tremlett, Luke Wright.

Squad will be cut into 15 in the coming weeks.

Thoughts?
    Dire.
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

Cricketer Of The Year four_or_six's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FBU View Post
    Players from the last provisional ICC CT squad (Fletcher and Graveney's) not in this one -

Blackwell, Chapple, Clarke, Dalrymple, Giles, Gough, Harmison, Hoggard, GJones, Lewis, Loudon, Loye, Read, Solanki, Trescothick, Yardy.

New faces (Moores and Miller)
    Carberry, Key, Shah, Patel, SJones, Panesar, Pattinson, Sidebottom, Tremlett, Ambrose, Mascarenhas, Mustard, Prior, Swann, Tredwell, Wright
    I'd forgotten about Jon Lewis. What happened to him, he didn't play badly when he played iirc.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Darren Pattinsonís ascent from part-time cricketer (full-time roofer) is either remarkable or is an apt illustration of how 'bad' county cricket is.

Anyone seen him bowl?
    Yeah, saw him in the 2020 versus Yorkshire. He didn't take any wickets, but was quick (consistently over 85mph & up as high as 88mph) and got good bounce and carry from quite a full length. I would imagine, given his height, he probably normally bowls a shorter length, but changed due to the dictates of the shortest format.

Few years down the line we could see brother versus brother* at international level, unless his kid bro comes over to the side of the angels too.

*actually, did Joyce face his brother when we played Ireland before the last WC?
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Yeah, saw him in the 2020 versus Yorkshire. He didn't take any wickets, but was quick (consistently over 85mph & up as high as 88mph) and got good bounce and carry from quite a full length. I would imagine, given his height, he probably normally bowls a shorter length, but changed due to the dictates of the shortest format.

Few years down the line we could see brother versus brother* at international level, unless his kid bro comes over to the side of the angels too.

*actually, did Joyce face his brother when we played Ireland before the last WC?
    I think he was injured. Isn't that just after he did that horrible knee injury fielding in a T20 or something?

No Trott again. WTF?
    ~ Cribbage ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by four_or_six View Post
    I think he was injured. Isn't that just after he did that horrible knee injury fielding in a T20 or something?
    I had to look it up, but I was right. From CricketArchive

Darren Pattinsonís ascent from part-time cricketer (full-time roofer) is either remarkable or is an apt illustration of how 'bad' county cricket is.

Anyone seen him bowl?
    I saw him bowl a few times for Victoria last season. Very tall man who bowls back of a length at decent pace. He's didn't look anywhere near international standard though - I'd describe him as a very poor man's Chris Tremlett.

Quote Originally Posted by FBU View Post

Blackwell - good, Chapple - good, Clarke - very good, Dalrymple - very good, Giles- good, Gough - very good, Harmison -even better, Hoggard - better still, GJones - Interesting, but goos, Lewis - Meh i liked him but not much need now, Loudon - Good he never was up to standard, Loye - good at present, Read - hmmmm, Solanki - good, Trescothick - sad, Yardy - Good, was plainly not good enough as well.
    Imo

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Yardy has fallen from grace sharply, hasn't he?

I guess an indication that he was elevated hopelessly above his worth.
    Agree totaly, England have a habbit of massively overestimating people who clearly aren't that good and don't look like being good in the future

Quote Originally Posted by open365 View Post
    Imo
    Harsh on Giles I reckon. He was a good one day cricketer; did his job. Early signs suggest Swann could well be better but Giles was most certainly better than some of those who have replaced him in the 30 (like Tredwell).

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Harsh on Giles I reckon. He was a good one day cricketer; did his job. Early signs suggest Swann could well be better but Giles was most certainly better than some of those who have replaced him in the 30 (like Tredwell).
    Probably, I'm really struggling to remember Giles in a one day shirt though nowadays, I do like the look of Swan so far though.

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    I had to look it up, but I was right. From CricketArchive
    Ah, yeah The T20 where he was injured was the match after, againsy Sri Lanka.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information