• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England’s (Provisional) Champions Trophy Squad

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The other thing that strikes me about the batsmen listed is that the squad seems top heavy with guys who would bat in the top 3 (most of who in the top 2) with less options for the middle order.
That's just the way things are really.

Currently, the few decent one-day batsmen in the country (only about half of whom tend to get picked for the national team) are mostly top-order rather than middle-order types.

Sri Lanka have a somewhat similar problem, actually. Hence the reliance on someone like Farveez Maharoof in recent times as a lower-order hitter. At least our versions of him - Swann and Mascarenhas - can actually bowl.

open365

International Vice-Captain
Not so much 'proven', but they do. Ishant timed 150kph in Australia and hasn't really got near there elsewhere, Noffke and Hilfenhaus were both said to time 140kph but in India, both bowled at 130kph.
Are you sure that's not to do with the pitches?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Are you sure that's not to do with the pitches?
Nah, the speed of the bowler is measured out of the hand - nothing to do with the pitches.

Humidity and heat can, though, obviously, affect energy levels and hence speed of bowling, though.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
The other thing that strikes me about the batsmen listed is that the squad seems top heavy with guys who would bat in the top 3 (most of who in the top 2) with less options for the middle order.
I imagine that with Collingwood, Shah and a hopefully fully fit Flintoff (and they'll probably keep Bopara at 4), they see the middle order as more or less set. Opening is where we don't really know where we're going.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah, but that's dictated by the mindset of the bowler, not the pitch.

A good bowler can realise that his speed and a very full length takes the speed of the pitch out of the equation.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
That's just the way things are really.

Currently, the few decent one-day batsmen in the country (only about half of whom tend to get picked for the national team) are mostly top-order rather than middle-order types.

Sri Lanka have a somewhat similar problem, actually. Hence the reliance on someone like Farveez Maharoof in recent times as a lower-order hitter. At least our versions of him - Swann and Mascarenhas - can actually bowl.

Even so, we've got:
- Carberry, Cook, Strauss & Key who are openers
- Bell who is currently opening
- Wright who usually opens
- Mustard & Prior who will open if picked
- Joyce who opened last time he played for us (does he open for Middx in List A games?)

Whereas for postions 4-6 we have:
- KP who's currently at 3 anyway
- Bopara, Collingwood & Shah from the current side
- Fred who should probably be at 7 anyway
- which leaves Patel as our only alternative for 2 or 3 places in the middle order

That strikes me as odd, esp with Trott not betting a look-in.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I imagine that with Collingwood, Shah and a hopefully fully fit Flintoff (and they'll probably keep Bopara at 4), they see the middle order as more or less set. Opening is where we don't really know where we're going.
That's probably the case. Rightly or wrongly.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Even so, we've got:
- Joyce who opened last time he played for us (does he open for Middx in List A games?)

- which leaves Patel as our only alternative for 2 or 3 places in the middle order

Yeah - as I said, though, it's simply the way it is. There's currently next to no good five\six\seven batsmen in this form of cricket in this country. Not that half those top-three players are any good anyway.

Joyce isn't, never has been and never will be an opener in any sense of the word for any team BTW.

open365

International Vice-Captain
Even so, we've got:

I think a lot of those players you mentioned as openers won't be viewed strictly as openers though, Carberry/Strauss/Key will probably be used where ever they're needed I reckon

FBU

International Debutant
Players from the last provisional ICC CT squad (Fletcher and Graveney's) not in this one -

Blackwell, Chapple, Clarke, Dalrymple, Giles, Gough, Harmison, Hoggard, GJones, Lewis, Loudon, Loye, Read, Solanki, Trescothick, Yardy.

New faces (Moores and Miller)
Carberry, Key, Shah, Patel, SJones, Panesar, Pattinson, Sidebottom, Tremlett, Ambrose, Mascarenhas, Mustard, Prior, Swann, Tredwell, Wright

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yardy has fallen from grace sharply, hasn't he?

I guess an indication that he was elevated hopelessly above his worth.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Tim Ambrose, James Anderson, Ian Bell, Ravi Bopara, Tim Bresnan, Stuart Broad, Michael Carberry, Paul Collingwood, Alastair Cook, Andrew Flintoff, Simon Jones, Ed Joyce, Rob Key, Sajid Mahmood, Dimitri Mascarenhas, Phil Mustard, Graham Onions, Monty Panesar, Samit Patel, Darren Pattinson, Kevin Pietersen, Liam Plunkett, Matt Prior, Owais Shah, Ryan Sidebottom, Andrew Strauss, Graeme Swann, James Tredwell, Chris Tremlett, Luke Wright.

Squad will be cut into 15 in the coming weeks.

Thoughts?
Dire.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Players from the last provisional ICC CT squad (Fletcher and Graveney's) not in this one -

Blackwell, Chapple, Clarke, Dalrymple, Giles, Gough, Harmison, Hoggard, GJones, Lewis, Loudon, Loye, Read, Solanki, Trescothick, Yardy.

New faces (Moores and Miller)
Carberry, Key, Shah, Patel, SJones, Panesar, Pattinson, Sidebottom, Tremlett, Ambrose, Mascarenhas, Mustard, Prior, Swann, Tredwell, Wright
I'd forgotten about Jon Lewis. What happened to him, he didn't play badly when he played iirc.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Darren Pattinson’s ascent from part-time cricketer (full-time roofer) is either remarkable or is an apt illustration of how 'bad' county cricket is.

Anyone seen him bowl?
Yeah, saw him in the 2020 versus Yorkshire. He didn't take any wickets, but was quick (consistently over 85mph & up as high as 88mph) and got good bounce and carry from quite a full length. I would imagine, given his height, he probably normally bowls a shorter length, but changed due to the dictates of the shortest format.

Few years down the line we could see brother versus brother* at international level, unless his kid bro comes over to the side of the angels too.

*actually, did Joyce face his brother when we played Ireland before the last WC?

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, saw him in the 2020 versus Yorkshire. He didn't take any wickets, but was quick (consistently over 85mph & up as high as 88mph) and got good bounce and carry from quite a full length. I would imagine, given his height, he probably normally bowls a shorter length, but changed due to the dictates of the shortest format.

Few years down the line we could see brother versus brother* at international level, unless his kid bro comes over to the side of the angels too.

*actually, did Joyce face his brother when we played Ireland before the last WC?
I think he was injured. Isn't that just after he did that horrible knee injury fielding in a T20 or something?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Darren Pattinson’s ascent from part-time cricketer (full-time roofer) is either remarkable or is an apt illustration of how 'bad' county cricket is.

Anyone seen him bowl?
I saw him bowl a few times for Victoria last season. Very tall man who bowls back of a length at decent pace. He's didn't look anywhere near international standard though - I'd describe him as a very poor man's Chris Tremlett.