• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Michael Clarke

Hoggy

U19 12th Man
He goes alright doesn't he?

Just wondering what the thoughts are of people who don't live in Australia and haven't heard the hype around him.

Reckon he's good?

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Well so far he's had a pretty good start to his ODI career with scores of 47* & 75* although I'd have to say he's done it against mediocre bowling..however in saying that its rare to see a rookie score consistently when they debut so maybe he's going to be the next big thing.

Hoggy

U19 12th Man
The next big thing - that phrase was used to describe Simon Katich as well. :lol: :lol:

I think Clarke has that sort of cavalier batting approach that will set him above the rest of the pack (Love, Hodge, etc).

And his record so far speaks for itself (what little there is) but he averages 46 in List A One-Dayers so he is pretty accustomed to it.

hourn

U19 Cricketer
Hoggy said:
The next big thing - that phrase was used to describe Simon Katich as well. :lol: :lol:
Abit harsh on Simon - he had rotten luck with the timing of injuries, and then when he came back he had a bad season (01/02) and it seems as if his chance may have gone, but he's still got a fair bit of time left in him.

Had a pretty good season in 02/03 and will be primed for an even bigger display in 03/04. Scored what most people thought was the best first grade ton they'd ever seen in a one day semi final against us this season. Was on 30 or 35 not out of about 70 balls with 15 overs to go and they needed 90-odd to win. He teed off and got 100 in just under a run a ball and they won with 6 overs to go :(

As for Clarke - he does have immense potential but he's biggest problem seems to be in his attitude. Has earned quite a few bad raps around sydney grade cricket.

brilliant off the short ball on the leg side. Kind of smothers the ball and flat bats it through mid wicket.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Well when someone calls you the next Doug Walters (quoted by Steve Waugh) then I guess you kinda feel like you're better than the rest.

hourn

U19 Cricketer
Tim said:
Well when someone calls you the next Doug Walters (quoted by Steve Waugh) then I guess you kinda feel like you're better than the rest.
yea, but most would/should take it in their stride and play it down (at least you would think anyway)

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
im sure clarke will be mortified to find out that hes been compared to that useless **** Simon Katich, the selectors love him for some reason, hes never really done anything apart from a couple of good games at the right time a few years ago and all of a sudden he was being called a future Australian captain.

i can see a lot of Ricky Ponting in Clarke, but bad luck for the rest of world cricket, cause i think hes going to be better than ponting.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Clarke is a top batsman, and a good fielder, can bat defensivley and all out attack (something that alot of players - eg Blewett and Love dont do well)

will soon command a regular place in the ODI side and will be teh next batting debutant in the test side i think

and foir crictics who say they were against weak bowling, well he plays against quality bwolers like Bichel in Aussie domestic cricket resonably often

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Very impressed - very solid.

Comparing him to Doug Walters - wow, that's some accolade. I loved watching Walters bat - soooooo classy.

Eclipse

International Debutant
I dont think he will be better than Ponting thats going to be extremly hard to do.

Right now you would say Ponting is probably a member of the best 3 batsman in the world Tendulkar, Lara & Ponting.

Clark is an exeptional talent though that is for sure & he has no weekneses that are obviouse at this stage of his carear & he can also be brutal if he is in the mood.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah i remember that ING game vs SA where he and Mark Waugh were in at the end and they hit 7 6's and 2 4's, 4 of the 6's were clarkes. tore them apart :)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Eclipse said:
Right now you would say Ponting is probably a member of the best 3 batsman in the world Tendulkar, Lara & Ponting.
*** cough *** Vaughan and Hayden are currently ranked numbers 1 and 2!

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
i didnt say clarke is better than ponting, but i said he will be. Most aussies have seen clarke play a fair bit now and he really hasnt done a thing wrong, look at his record in last seasons ING comp, in 11 digs, lowest score of 25 then next lowest was in the 40's, thats pretty damn consistent.
But honestly someone with his class going into a winning environment that the aussies have is going to do wonders for his confidence. Hes going to bring that winning feeling to the team for many years to come, hes a super star in the making.
hmm im starting to talk about him like you do shooter :P

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
and foir crictics who say they were against weak bowling, well he plays against quality bwolers like Bichel in Aussie domestic cricket resonably often
that is a mixture of a statement. I for one said that his ODI knocks were against weaker bowling attacks, but I never said his batting at domestic level was poor..infact his domestic stats are outstanding in both forms of the game for a player who gets to face quality bowlers throughout the majority of the season and gets good advice from bowlers like McGrath in the nets.

Eclipse

International Debutant
marc71178 said:
*** cough *** Vaughan and Hayden are currently ranked numbers 1 and 2!
Well I think Lara & Tendulkar have proven themselfs Vaughan has a fair way to go before he will be considerd better than them IMHO. And Ponting is 3rd in Test Cricket & Second in ODI'S (would be first if PWC updated there rankings right at this moment)

I know Vaughan is currently 1st but do you really think he is a better allround batsman than Lara, Tendulkar or Ponting??? He still has to prove last season was not just a once off and I am sure he will but never the less he has to do it IMO.

I would rather Tendulkar, Lara & Ponting in my team than Vaugahn they are all consistent performers for many years in both forms of the game were as Vaughan has had one good season in Test cricket.

Any way according to PWC Tendulkar, Hayden & Ponting are all equal 1st as far as a combination of Test and ODI cricket is concerned.

Eclipse

International Debutant
broncoman said:
i didnt say clarke is better than ponting, but i said he will be. Most aussies have seen clarke play a fair bit now and he really hasnt done a thing wrong, look at his record in last seasons ING comp, in 11 digs, lowest score of 25 then next lowest was in the 40's, thats pretty damn consistent.
But honestly someone with his class going into a winning environment that the aussies have is going to do wonders for his confidence. Hes going to bring that winning feeling to the team for many years to come, hes a super star in the making.
hmm im starting to talk about him like you do shooter :P
I have my doubts but how good would that be if he does become better :D

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Eclipse said:

I know Vaughan is currently 1st but do you really think he is a better allround batsman than Lara, Tendulkar or Ponting??? He still has to prove last season was not just a once off and I am sure he will but never the less he has to do it IMO.

<snipperty snip>

It's a fair reflection of one year's form, I reckon.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Eclipse said:
Well I think Lara & Tendulkar have proven themselfs Vaughan has a fair way to go before he will be considerd better than them IMHO.
Maybe, but on current form he has been rated higher than them, though his unlucky dismissal against Zimbabwe will knock him down a bit.