Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Michael Clarke

Michael Clarke

He goes alright doesn't he?

Just wondering what the thoughts are of people who don't live in Australia and haven't heard the hype around him.

Reckon he's good?
    "That's ****ed his average Tony!"

Tim
    Well so far he's had a pretty good start to his ODI career with scores of 47* & 75* although I'd have to say he's done it against mediocre bowling..however in saying that its rare to see a rookie score consistently when they debut so maybe he's going to be the next big thing.

The next big thing - that phrase was used to describe Simon Katich as well.

I think Clarke has that sort of cavalier batting approach that will set him above the rest of the pack (Love, Hodge, etc).

And his record so far speaks for itself (what little there is) but he averages 46 in List A One-Dayers so he is pretty accustomed to it.

U19 Cricketer
    Originally posted by Hoggy
    The next big thing - that phrase was used to describe Simon Katich as well.
    Abit harsh on Simon - he had rotten luck with the timing of injuries, and then when he came back he had a bad season (01/02) and it seems as if his chance may have gone, but he's still got a fair bit of time left in him.

Had a pretty good season in 02/03 and will be primed for an even bigger display in 03/04. Scored what most people thought was the best first grade ton they'd ever seen in a one day semi final against us this season. Was on 30 or 35 not out of about 70 balls with 15 overs to go and they needed 90-odd to win. He teed off and got 100 in just under a run a ball and they won with 6 overs to go

As for Clarke - he does have immense potential but he's biggest problem seems to be in his attitude. Has earned quite a few bad raps around sydney grade cricket.

brilliant off the short ball on the leg side. Kind of smothers the ball and flat bats it through mid wicket.

Tim
    Well when someone calls you the next Doug Walters (quoted by Steve Waugh) then I guess you kinda feel like you're better than the rest.

U19 Cricketer
    Originally posted by Tim
    Well when someone calls you the next Doug Walters (quoted by Steve Waugh) then I guess you kinda feel like you're better than the rest.
    yea, but most would/should take it in their stride and play it down (at least you would think anyway)

Request Your Custom Title Now! Simon's Avatar
    im sure clarke will be mortified to find out that hes been compared to that useless **** Simon Katich, the selectors love him for some reason, hes never really done anything apart from a couple of good games at the right time a few years ago and all of a sudden he was being called a future Australian captain.

i can see a lot of Ricky Ponting in Clarke, but bad luck for the rest of world cricket, cause i think hes going to be better than ponting.

Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    Clarke is a top batsman, and a good fielder, can bat defensivley and all out attack (something that alot of players - eg Blewett and Love dont do well)

will soon command a regular place in the ODI side and will be teh next batting debutant in the test side i think

and foir crictics who say they were against weak bowling, well he plays against quality bwolers like Bichel in Aussie domestic cricket resonably often
    Member of CW Green
    Kerry O'Keefe - Worlds funniest Commentator

yeah hes pretty similar to Punter in technique

Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    Very impressed - very solid.

Comparing him to Doug Walters - wow, that's some accolade. I loved watching Walters bat - soooooo classy.
    Nigel Clough's Black and White Army, beating Forest away with 10 men

International Debutant
    I dont think he will be better than Ponting thats going to be extremly hard to do.

Right now you would say Ponting is probably a member of the best 3 batsman in the world Tendulkar, Lara & Ponting.

Clark is an exeptional talent though that is for sure & he has no weekneses that are obviouse at this stage of his carear & he can also be brutal if he is in the mood.

Yeah i remember that ING game vs SA where he and Mark Waugh were in at the end and they hit 7 6's and 2 4's, 4 of the 6's were clarkes. tore them apart

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Originally posted by Eclipse
    Right now you would say Ponting is probably a member of the best 3 batsman in the world Tendulkar, Lara & Ponting.
    *** cough *** Vaughan and Hayden are currently ranked numbers 1 and 2!
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Simon's Avatar
    i didnt say clarke is better than ponting, but i said he will be. Most aussies have seen clarke play a fair bit now and he really hasnt done a thing wrong, look at his record in last seasons ING comp, in 11 digs, lowest score of 25 then next lowest was in the 40's, thats pretty damn consistent.
    But honestly someone with his class going into a winning environment that the aussies have is going to do wonders for his confidence. Hes going to bring that winning feeling to the team for many years to come, hes a super star in the making.
    hmm im starting to talk about him like you do shooter :P

Tim
    and foir crictics who say they were against weak bowling, well he plays against quality bwolers like Bichel in Aussie domestic cricket resonably often
    that is a mixture of a statement. I for one said that his ODI knocks were against weaker bowling attacks, but I never said his batting at domestic level was poor..infact his domestic stats are outstanding in both forms of the game for a player who gets to face quality bowlers throughout the majority of the season and gets good advice from bowlers like McGrath in the nets.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information