Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Lee as Good as Windies Quicks - Sir Viv

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar

Lee as Good as Windies Quicks - Sir Viv

Surprised this hasn't got more of a mention on here.

Source: Cricinfo.

Viv Richards, who captained some of the most fearsome fast bowlers of all time, says Brett Lee is the equal of the West Indies quicks of the 1980s and early 90s. On Sunday against West Indies Lee picked up his 300th one-day international wicket, reaching the milestone in fewer games than any other player and beating the previous record-holder Waqar Younis by 15 matches.

Over the past few years Lee has impressed Richards, who believes Jeff Thomson was the fastest bowler he ever faced and was at the helm of a team that included Joel Garner, Michael Holding, Curtly Ambrose, Malcolm Marshall and Courtney Walsh. "He's certainly up there with those guys," Richards told AAP. "It is hard to assess what took place from then to now but I think when he's called upon to do it, he's just as good as any."

As well as his speed, which is regularly in the mid-150kph region and occasionally breaks the 160kph barrier, Lee's endurance has been noted by Richards. "What I have been impressed more than anything in Brett Lee is his fitness," Richards said.

"He's one of the fittest bowlers that I've ever seen in a long, long time. And not just when he's got the ball in hand, if you look at him on the field as well he's just 100%, saving fours, and saving two and things like that."

Lee has carried a significant fast-bowling load in the Caribbean and at times during the Test series was clearly close to exhaustion. With the five-match ODI series already in the bag Australia may take the opportunity to rest Lee for the remaining two games, with Stuart Clark ready to step into the limited-overs side.

Interesting thoughts. Must say I hadn't thought of Lee in those terms, though his pace is right up there.

Anyway, kudos to him on being the fastest to 300 ODI wickets.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Present day Lee is an excellent bowler, so I preemptively refute the claims of blasphemy that will no doubt ensue.
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    At their peak which of these four would you choose for your Test team, and which four would you choose for your ODI team?

Marshall
    Garner
    Lee
    Holding
    Croft
    Roberts
    Ambrose
    Walsh

Test for me- Marshall, Holding, Roberts, Ambrose

ODI for me- Garner, Lee, Ambrose, Holding (off his short run)

Tbh I would not even consider Lee for the Test side atm
    You know it makes sense.

In fairness there are many fantastic fast bowlers who would not have made a Test first XI in the WI quick bowling prime.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by archie mac View Post
    At their peak which of these four would you choose for your Test team, and which four would you choose for your ODI team?

Marshall
    Garner
    Lee
    Holding
    Croft
    Roberts
    Ambrose
    Walsh

Test for me- Marshall, Holding, Roberts, Ambrose

ODI for me- Garner, Lee, Ambrose, Holding (off his short run)

Tbh I would not even consider Lee for the Test side atm
    If you're talking overall career achievement, sure. But we're only talking peaks and Lee is at his as a bowler and bowling absolutely beautifully against every opponent he's faced. Even then, though, all of the bowlers had longer peaks so they're still ahead overall I reckon but for Lee to get a wrap like this from Viv, he's obviously making quite an impression.

I also get the feeling his personality is playing a part; everyone loves Lee because he's one of teh best fast bowlers in the world but is maintaining an amazingly level head and is making a lot of friends, even those he's playing against. He's always been popular but it's easy to be popular when you're having to eat humble pie on-field and you have to be nice to everyone. To be near the top of the heap and immensely popular, that's rare.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    I also get the feeling his personality is playing a part; everyone loves Lee because he's one of teh best fast bowlers in the world but is maintaining an amazingly level head and is making a lot of friends, even those he's playing against. He's always been popular but it's easy to be popular when you're having to eat humble pie on-field and you have to be nice to everyone. To be near the top of the heap and immensely popular, that's rare.
    I agree. A recent example... I think it was very admirable the way Lee responded to Marshall's apparent cluelessness about the 'free hit' rule. Good advertisement for cricket, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mxyzptlk View Post
    In fairness there are many fantastic fast bowlers who would not have made a Test first XI in the WI quick bowling prime.
    No doubt, but isn't that what this thread is about?

If you're talking overall career achievement, sure. But we're only talking peaks and Lee is at his as a bowler and bowling absolutely beautifully against every opponent he's faced. Even then, though, all of the bowlers had longer peaks so they're still ahead overall I reckon but for Lee to get a wrap like this from Viv, he's obviously making quite an impression.

Well ahead I should think

I did not see anything mentioned in Viv's post about him being nice? Not that I don't agree

No doubt, but isn't that what this thread is about?
    Yes.
    Well ahead I should think

I did not see anything mentioned in Viv's post about him being nice? Not that I don't agree
    It's a given. If Lee can win me over, he can win anyone over. There are very few Australian cricketers that I have time for.

International Debutant SpaceMonkey's Avatar
    As a ODI bowler he is devestating due to his pace and a good yorker. But he just lacks the movement / accuracy needed at Test match level to ever be considered a great like the West Indians mentioned.

Banned
    Age is catching up for the WI gr8.....

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    The way he is bowling recently, he certainly is very good. That is what he was comparing. At their peak, and at Lee's peak, would Lee make the WI side? Maybe, but if not, it'd be close enough to give you pause. He is extremely good right now, and that's what he means. Personally, I'd have him in there for most years of the eighties and nineties.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mxyzptlk View Post
    Yes.

It's a given. If Lee can win me over, he can win anyone over. There are very few Australian cricketers that I have time for.
    Especially since, correct me if I'm wrong, you never really liked him?

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
    As a ODI bowler he is devestating due to his pace and a good yorker. But he just lacks the movement / accuracy needed at Test match level to ever be considered a great like the West Indians mentioned.

Have you seen any Lee's Test match bowling in the last year? Because he's taking wickets against top-notch batsmen on flat pitches by doing exactly that.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Especially since, correct me if I'm wrong, you never really liked him?

Have you seen any Lee's Test match bowling in the last year? Because he's taking wickets against top-notch batsmen on flat pitches by doing exactly that.
    Exactly. That's the reason I would put him so high. Top class batting, flat pitches, long spells, and almost always threatening in spite of all that. Absolutely fantastic to watch.

Even when Lee was going for runs in the third Test against West Indies, he was still bowling outstandingly.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information