• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

I wish we had Ricky Ponting playing for us......

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Facing around 150 balls... averaging around 3.5 runs a ball...could be done, Napier did it the other day. Possibility that he skies one though. If he batted fairly conservatively - i.e. not smashing across the line, even if he was going to six-hit a lot - then he'd be 250* at the end of a 50 over innings. If he bowled his offspin properly as well he'd be pretty useful, especially towards the end of the season when he'd practiced a bit more.
Would take 60 wickets with his meds, IMO.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Nah... it would completely undermine the whole idea of sport in general. It would be even more of a mismatch than the New Zealand v Ireland game from the other day. No-one would applaud each six, Ponting wouldn't take any satisfaction out of it, the other team would give up... there would be no contest. Professional sportsmen should aspire to be the best they can be... and playing local league cricket is not the best they can be. Wrecking 21 other individuals' Saturday afternoons would be the main outcome.
You might think that at the time, but I assure you, there'd be some who'd treasure the expedition both then and certainly later.

The essential point, though, is that someone as good as Ponting will never play that level with the remotest of regularity.

biased indian

International Coach
..... Is the common phrase said by many a people (including myself) in our 1st XI. The question is often debated, how many runs would someone like Ricky Ponting score if they played in the Aire Wharfe Valley C division? I say they would hit every ball (barring 1 or 2) for 6. Thoughts?
and if i was in your opposing team ,i would wish harbhajan is playing for us :)

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I doubt Ponting would move up the order and open with me in my old team.

He'd come in at 3 most likely, provided he made it to training!

stumpski

International Captain
I have seen something like this, when the (not long retired) Richie Richardson played for Lashings against our village team around 1995-6. He got a hundred off about 80 balls or so, not really giving a serious chance - did play and miss once or twice though. That said, I don't think many top players playing at that level would set out to humiliate the opposition, Not so sure about Ponting though.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
I have seen something like this, when the (not long retired) Richie Richardson played for Lashings against our village team around 1995-6. He got a hundred off about 80 balls or so, not really giving a serious chance - did play and miss once or twice though. That said, I don't think many top players playing at that level would set out to humiliate the opposition, Not so sure about Ponting though.
Definitely feel he'd try to humiliate.