• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

3rd Glen Chapple-Haddlee Series ODI

DaRick

State Vice-Captain
This was sort of like the 434 match, went from being the best game ever to the worst game ever in like two hours. Worst ODI series as an Aussie fan, though it was all forgotten a few months later :D
Well, this, or the 2005/06 SA series that you mentioned.

The 2007/08 CB Series defeat annoyed the hell out of me, as well (due to the triumphialism on the part of many pro-Indian journalists and the subsequent predictions of Australia's downfall, which stemmed from India's admittedly well-deserved victory in said tournament).

At any rate, without sounding sour about it all, the question must be put forward; does this thread have any real relevance? :unsure:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Why would you be pissed about losing a CB Series to a young Indian team rather than a ****ty England ODI team a year earlier, when you dominated the whole series only to lose in the finals?

pasag

RTDAS
The two CB series losses weren't that bad, for me anyways, was just a case of the opposition being better on the day, which happens in sport. Losing from such dominant positions against NZ twice and SA once really hurt, however.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
1st final vs. England at MCG.

Aus were 1-170, only scored 252.

They had England 3-15, and let them chase it down.

Losing from a dominant position IMO.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Probably because he didn't play IPL. Suspect he'll come back into the consciousness when he fires up for WA later in the year.
Yeah I think and hope so too.

I also think he needs to bat a bit higher for the WACAs cause he sort of gets forgotten when he's at 5 or 6.

Would love it if he came in at 3 or 4 in both formats really.

Marcus North should be behind him.

DaRick

State Vice-Captain
Why would you be pissed about losing a CB Series to a young Indian team rather than a ****ty England ODI team a year earlier, when you dominated the whole series only to lose in the finals?
I wasn't pissed about losing to India, per se. As I wrote above, they deserved the win. We just didn't play well enough in the finals (or in the series, for that matter) to deserve the series win.

I'll put it clearly: I was annoyed about the reaction to the event within the Indian media and the Australian media. That's why I ultimately grew irritated after we lost the finals. It was all too predictable and all too tiresome. Giving hyperbolic praise to the Indians (Peter Roebuck referring to India as 'the new Australia', for instance) and slagging off Australia (read Robert Craddock's articles from that time). Ultimately, in their rush to hail India and denigrate Australia, these journalists ignored the fact that Sachin Tendulkar had far more to do with both victories than Dhoni's captaincy, or even his 'youth policy'. I have doubts over what would've happened if Tendulkar had failed.

The 2006/07 CB Series to England wasn't as bad, partially due to the fact that we won a World Cup a few months later and also because, for once, the English did not appear to hype their team's performance up to an insane degree (nor were there as many gloatings about Australia's demise) - probably because they all realised that the main prize, the Ashes, had been snatched from them so empathically as to be ridiculous, like candy from a baby. Granted, I would've preferred it if we won that series, but the aftermath just didn't bug me as much.

pasag

RTDAS
1st final vs. England at MCG.

Aus were 1-170, only scored 252.

They had England 3-15, and let them chase it down.

Losing from a dominant position IMO.
Nah, not the same at all as getting SO many runs on the board going into the break and then losing it, for mine.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
CB series finals and the subsequent Chappell-Hadlee series are the happiest days of my life. Love it when people bring them up - not because of the cricket, though that was good, but I will always associate England's two finals wins and then NZ's impressive performances with great times. So I like this thread :D

Days of Grace

International Captain
That's twice now that Gillespie has been involved in awesome, close victories.

Maybe we should keep him in the team for his batting in tense situations.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
CB series finals and the subsequent Chappell-Hadlee series are the happiest days of my life. Love it when people bring them up - not because of the cricket, though that was good, but I will always associate England's two finals wins and then NZ's impressive performances with great times. So I like this thread :D
The loss to England in the ODI series also had a lot to do with Buchanan absolutely flogging the players in practice durind the latter stages of the series. IIRC there were questions openly asked about the players having to perform such arduous physical training while still playing internationals - it was apparently like a mid-season boot camp.

No such reasons forthe flop v India the next season.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
That's twice now that Gillespie has been involved in awesome, close victories.

Maybe we should keep him in the team for his batting in tense situations.
Cause and effect.

Gillespie in the team = leaks a lot of runs i.e Large run chase

But he was pretty gun in the 3rd CH, wasn't he.
I was wanting him to open after that effort.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Never failed to amaze me how many people get Glen Chapple and Ian\Greg\Trevor Chappell's names mixed-up.

And plenty of those who do probably haven't even heard of Glen Chapple FFS.