• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best "LOST" Zimbabwean Player

Who was the Best "LOST" Zimbabwean Player?

• Grant Flower

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Andy Blignaut

• Stuart Carlisle

• Henry Olonga

• Raymond Price

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Julian87

State Captain
The likes of Taylor, Williams, Ervine, Taibu and Blignaut would have evolved into a decent ODI batting order IMO. Bowling was always going to be a problem though.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Richard apparently. Sean Ervine had plenty of potential with the bat but his record in Australia and English domestic cricket thus far suggests that he has yet amounted to almost nothing. Then again he is still only 25.
Yeah Ervine has disappointed me more than most players in recent years. I really did think, when he played those couple of innings' in the VB Series in 2003/04 against decent to good ODI attacks, aged just 20, that here was a potentially very, very good batsman. When he moved to play for WA and Hampshire I'd hoped that the top-quality training facilities and coaching would turn him from a relatively rough diamond into the real article - and, given how good he already was at 20, quickly.

Sadly, it emphatically hasn't happened so far.

But as you say, aged 25 time isn't yet up.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Most of the best prematurely retired types would now have retired anyway, the question of the next generation of stars would now be being asked - and, if the system had been managed properly, probably answered in the affermative.
I would have Strang in ODI XI as well. A very are kind of a creature which is classfied as a "slow bowling all rounder". There haven't been many, Sobers, Wilfred Rhodes and Shoaib Malik are the only ones which spring to the mind. Strand could have been a terrific player. I remeber that even SRt and Azhar were struggling to pick his wrong'un.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah Ervine has disappointed me more than most players in recent years. I really did think, when he played those couple of innings' in the VB Series in 2003/04 against decent to good ODI attacks, aged just 20, that here was a potentially very, very good batsman. When he moved to play for WA and Hampshire I'd hoped that the top-quality training facilities and coaching would turn him from a relatively rough diamond into the real article - and, given how good he already was at 20, quickly.

Sadly, it emphatically hasn't happened so far.

But as you say, aged 25 time isn't yet up.
Yeah, it really is quite strange that he looked so much better when he was based in a country that much less capable coaching and facilities around him. He's actually played some very fine OD innings at Hampshire and even one or two for WA where he looked closed to internation standard but they have been few and far between.

stumpski

International Captain
I would have Strang in ODI XI as well. A very are kind of a creature which is classfied as a "slow bowling all rounder". There haven't been many, Sobers, Wilfred Rhodes and Shoaib Malik are the only ones which spring to the mind. Strand could have been a terrific player. I remeber that even SRt and Azhar were struggling to pick his wrong'un.

Vinoo Mankad and Frank Woolley were pretty handy as well - but yes, most all-rounders are pacemen for some reason.

And Jayasuriya >>> Shoaib Malik.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Vinoo Mankad and Frank Woolley were pretty handy as well - but yes, most all-rounders are pacemen for some reason.

And Jayasuriya >>> Shoaib Malik.
Vettori springs to mind. Hogg as well - I'm sure there were stacks really, just not many who were particularly good.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The likes of Taylor, Williams, Ervine, Taibu and Blignaut would have evolved into a decent ODI batting order IMO. Bowling was always going to be a problem though.
Oh, BTW Julian, Travis wanted you to resign with CW Blue. Yeah, I agree, Blignaut would be the only decent one IMO.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, it really is quite strange that he looked so much better when he was based in a country that much less capable coaching and facilities around him. He's actually played some very fine OD innings at Hampshire and even one or two for WA where he looked closed to internation standard but they have been few and far between.
Yah, he's turned **** recently.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
For every one of those games (and there were the odd few), there were several utter shockers.

Don't get me wrong, I always rated Olonga as a bowler with potential, I still would've hoped that, had the country not collapsed, he could've got better as his career progressed. But in the time he did play, he bowled far too many no-balls, his accuracy was often woeful, and he did not always get the ball to do much. And that was reflected in one of the worst ODI records you could wish to see.