• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Emerging Players Tournament, 2008

Efaz

U19 12th Man
The tournament starts on the 14th and ends on 26th. The venue for the tournament is Brisbane. Participating teams are coming from India, South Africa, New Zealand, and Australia.

Here is the cricinfo page for the tourny.

Squads announced so far -

India Emerging Players Squad:
Parthiv Patel (Captain/keeper), Subramaniam Badrinath (Vice-captain), Shikhar Dhawan, Manoj Tiwary, Manpreet Gony, Iqbal Abdulla, Ravindra Jadeja, Virat Kohli, Dhawal Kulkarni, Amit Mishra, Abhishek Nayar, Pankaj Singh, Ajinkya Rahane, Pinal Shah (keeper), Siddharth Trivedi.

South Africa Emerging Players Squad:
Ahmed Amla (Captain), Yusuf Abdullah, Werner Coetzee, Henry Davids, CJ de Villiers, Dean Elgar, Imraan Khan, Ethy Mbhalati, Wayne Parnell, Daryn Smit (keeper), Blake Snijman, Thandi Tshabalala, Lonwabo Tsotsobe, Vaughn van Jaarsveld.

New Zealand Emerging Players Squad:
Corey Anderson, Brent Arnel, Hamish Bennett, Trent Boult, Neil Broom, Leighton Burtt, Brendon Diamanti, Bevan Griggs, Martin Guptill, Greg Hay, Brandon Hiini, Peter Ingram, Robbie Schaw, BJ Watling.

* Jesse Ryder may join the NZ team if he gets fit in time.

Last edited:

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Some very talented Indian players there, especially batsman.

Parthiv Patel, Badrinath, Dhawan, Kohli, Tiwary, Rahane, Nayar. Very intimidating. The other squads look like trash in comparison.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Agreed, India look a strong mix. Parthiv Patel is captain is an interesting choice though. Trivedi and Mishra also were impressive at times throughout the IPL.

As for NZ, I'm quite pleased with the side chosen. Would also give Ryder and Franklin a top opportunity to get back into semi-competitive cricket before joining the New Zealand side again.

HeathDavisSpeed

I'm looking for Brandon Hiini to clear up here. Should be a decent New Zealand bowling attack with him and Franklin potentially bowling in tandem.

Most of the other Kiwi bowlers are very inexperienced and will in all likelihood blow hot and cold, with the occasional decent spell being more than off set by getting carted for the rest of the match.

Expect a host of single figure scores and one century from Pinger.

Jonty Lathwal

U19 Debutant
Don't know why Parthiv Patel is in the squad.....bcoz it said "Emerging Players",..

he has already played a lot of test cricket.....

duffer

Shah and Abdullah I'm not too keen on, thought they looked pretty average in the IPL and U-19 WC's whenever I've seen either of them.

The rest of the squad can't be disagreed with really, looking very promising. Especially would like to see how Dhawal and Kohli do.

Flem274*

123/5
The tournament starts on the 14th and ends on 26th. The venue for the tournament is Brisbane. Participating teams are coming from India, South Africa, New Zealand, and Australia.

Here is the cricinfo page for the tourny.

Squads announced so far -

India Emerging Players Squad:
Parthiv Patel (Captain/keeper), Subramaniam Badrinath (Vice-captain), Shikhar Dhawan, Manoj Tiwary, Manpreet Gony, Iqbal Abdulla, Ravindra Jadeja, Virat Kohli, Dhawal Kulkarni, Amit Mishra, Abhishek Nayar, Pankaj Singh, Ajinkya Rahane, Pinal Shah (keeper), Siddharth Trivedi.

South Africa Emerging Players Squad:
Ahmed Amla (Captain), Yusuf Abdullah, Werner Coetzee, Henry Davids, CJ de Villiers, Dean Elgar, Imraan Khan, Ethy Mbhalati, Wayne Parnell, Daryn Smit (keeper), Blake Snijman, Thandi Tshabalala, Lonwabo Tsotsobe, Vaughn van Jaarsveld.

New Zealand Emerging Players Squad:
Corey Anderson, Brent Arnel, Hamish Bennett, Trent Boult, Neil Broom, Leighton Burtt, Brendon Diamanti, Bevan Griggs, Martin Guptill, Greg Hay, Brandon Hiini, Peter Ingram, Robbie Schaw, BJ Watling.

* Jesse Ryder may join the NZ team if he gets fit in time.
Nice sides there. So if Franklin and Ryder join, who goes home?

Have a feeling that Ryder and Franklin will be a great help in keeping pace with India, who always seem to have the best emerging players in terms of quantity. The international players in the NZ and India sides will be a great help for the newbies (don't notice any SA internationals on first look, Imraan Khan has a gun name though.)

Happy with the NZ team. No Marshall rubbish.

I want to see this team play (assuming its a one day tournament).:

Jesse Ryder
Martin Guptill
Peter Ingram
Greg Hay
Neil Broom
James Franklin (give him a go at 6, may be needed there when Oram retires)
Bevan Griggs
Brandon Hiini
Burtt
Arnel
Bennet

Pinga to dominate. :p

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
South Africa are the defending champions (two time) and a lot is expected but this squad is the weakest selected thus far. There are high hopes for Parnell (who seems to be getting fastracked) and Elgar in particular but a couple of the older guys namely the captain seem to be merely filling up the numbers. They should have had a punt with Vandiar and a couple of the other U-19 cricketers.

Bowling attack looks fairly decent mind; South Africa are looking for a left arm seamer and this attack is likely to have three on show. Also, interested to see how Daryn Smit gets on, his in the team as a wicket keeper but he also bowls leg spin and is known for ditching the gloves halfway through the game and coming onto bowl.

Perm

Looking forward to Shikhar Dhawan
As am I. Really hope that these games have List A status. Would like to see the Indians field this team.

Ajinkya Rahane
Shikhar Dhiwan
Parthiv Patel
Manoj Tiwary
S. Badrinath
Pinal Shah
Abhishek Nayar
Iqbal Abdulla/Ravindra Jadeja
Amit Mishra
Pankaj Singh
Manpreet Gony

Not exactly sure what the batting line-up would be, as I've never heard anything about Pinal Shah and wouldn't know if he's batted that low before. You could probably swap Tiwary and Badrinath too, if the need arose.

Perm

Jesse Ryder
Martin Guptill
Peter Ingram
Greg Hay
Neil Broom
James Franklin (give him a go at 6, may be needed there when Oram retires)
Bevan Griggs
Brandon Hiini
Burtt
Arnel
Bennet
So long as Hay and Broom do well, I couldn't give a toss about the rest of them. We know Franklin and Ryder are quality, but the rest of the team strikes me as fairly average. Obviously there is potential for the future which is what this tour is all about, but there will be plenty of opportunity for the likes of Bennet, Anderson, Boult etc in years to come.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Nice sides there. So if Franklin and Ryder join, who goes home?

Have a feeling that Ryder and Franklin will be a great help in keeping pace with India, who always seem to have the best emerging players in terms of quantity. The international players in the NZ and India sides will be a great help for the newbies (don't notice any SA internationals on first look, Imraan Khan has a gun name though.)

Happy with the NZ team. No Marshall rubbish.

Pinga to dominate. :p
Wasn't he New Zealand's best batsman in last year’s series?

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Wow, when you say 14th do you mean July?

That's awesome if it's the case.

Anyone keen to go and see a match or two?

I doubt any of mates would go during footy season, but i'm keen.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Indian team selection is OK except the pace bowlers...Both Sangwan and Dinda should have been there in place of some other pace bowlers selected...

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
So India send what is almost an A side, and the other two have almost academy sides? Could be carnage if Rahane, Dhawan, Tiwary and Badrinath get stuck in.