• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket World Cup and it's future.

Blamire

Cricket Spectator
First post here so apologies if this type of thread has been posted before or I post in the wrong area - just getting to grip with the place.

The Cricket World Cup is, or at least should be, the biggest prize in cricket. It is the pinnancle of a players career to be in a side that becomes World Champions. However, with last years farce of a tournament in the West Indies and the ever criticised WC format, I think it is time to make strcutural changes to how the tournament is played.

I understand that following the 2007 CWC the ICC have reduced the number of teams competing in the WC to 14, from the 16 in 2007. One of the criticisms of the 16 team tournament is that there were too many miss matches, with one side dominating a game.

Also, the WC seemed to last an awful long time which caused people to lose interest in the middle stages of the competition. There were low crowds largely due to ticket prices and regulations concerning safety.

The Super 8s stage almost seemed unecessary with the top teams playing each other too much, and there was still one sided games involving Ireland and Bangladesh.

However, surely the 'minnow' nations of international cricket deserve to compete in the competition? How can a World Cup only involve a select few nations? There were shocks in that Ireland beat Pakistan and Bangladesh beat India, so it wasn't all one sided. It also gave many people an insight into cricket in other countries besides the Test playing nations. many people didn't know that Ireland had a decent ODI cricket team before the WC.

What do you think of the First Round stage - was it successful in what it set out to achieve? Was the Super 8s too long, would a QF stage make for better viewing?

Maybe even at 14 teams the WC will be too one sided, or maybe it will help the rich defeat the poor by excluding the weaker teams from competing?

It's difficult and there are pro's and con's for each format, but if you had to produce the next WC in four years time (or whenever you felt it necessary) - who would host it? Who would compete? And why?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The upsets in the qualifying round were the main reason for the excess of one-sided games (had Pakistan beaten Ireland and India Bangladesh the Super Eight would've been more competetive at least to an extent); the excess of one-sided games were the reason the thing seemed too long (everyone would've been delighted that it went on and on if the cricket had mostly been thrilling).

Basically, the ideal World Cup, which would be likely to produce the best cricket, would involve the 8 ODI-standard teams only in this day-and-age, with all playing all. Unfortunately, as we (or rather, I$C$C) need the illusion of expansion, we have to have 8 teams who are blatantly miles below-par, to differing degrees of absurdity, of which in the last Cup 2 of whom were directly adjacent to another team, and historically those three teams (England\Wales, Scotland, and Ireland) have played as one on the relatively rare occasion players from the lesser two countries have emerged.

If you want to have substandard teams in the Cup, in order to tell yourself cricket has a larger nuclear family than it really does, you might as well go the whole hog as far as I'm concerned. Have a massive qualifying stage a la football World Cup.

Personally I'd prefer it if we just accepted that at this point in time there are only 8 teams worthy of competing for the title World Champions. If there are more in future, great. But Matthew Engel, as ever, put it well:
It is time to stop wrecking the game we have in vain pursuit of the one we don't.
Until we get more good teams, the World Cup would be most enjoyable to those who watch cricket in the 8 places that make-up ODI-class teams if we left it among these countries.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's difficult and there are pro's and con's for each format, but if you had to produce the next WC in four years time (or whenever you felt it necessary) - who would host it? Who would compete? And why?
As regards this - I'd have two choices, both of which I'd be quite happy with. A long, drawn-out qualifying round, which could make sure that the best 8 teams reached the "finals" stage, lasting as long as neccessary and involving as many teams as I$C$C wanted. Or purely and simply say "the only 8 teams worthy of the title World Champions are Australia, England, India, New Zealand, Pakistan, South Africa, Sri Lanka and West Indies. So therefore they will play the World Cup and there will be no preliminary to this".

Either way, the only way to have the best tournament would be to have these 8 teams alone involved. And no-one else, in the finals stage. All would play all in a Super Eight round-robin, and then we'd have semis and a final.

Where would it be hosted? The subcontinent, of course. Then Australiasia in 2014/15. Then the UK (and maybe a few games in the rest of Europe) in 2019, as per current schedule.

stumpski

International Captain
I'd go along with most of that, but realistically you can't not have Bangladesh - like it or not, they're a full member of ICC. But apart from that, yes I'd go with the 1992 format - everyone playing everyone else once with the top four playing sem-finals. Can't see it happening of course. It's already been decided that three Associates (not sure if that includes Kenya) will take part. And of course Zimbabawe are the perennial flies in the ointment.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I said it at the time and I'll say it again here - the length of the World Cup was not the problem. If we had really good cricket played on good pitches with good atmosphere, no-one would have complained about the length at all. The length became a problem because we were all just wanting the tournament to progress.

The Super Eight stage should really be awesome - packed out stadiums with fast pitches, good cricketers and competitive matches. While Ireland was one great story to come out of the Cup, their presence in the Super Eight stage along with Bangladesh made this stage predictable and seemingly more drawn out that otherwise. I don't really blame the administrators for this at all.. the feedback from the 2003 World Cup mainly consisted of "the minnows play on too long - get them in and get them out" and that's exactly what the scheduling attempting. Unfortunately, Pakistan entered the tournament in shocking form with typical issues surrounding them and they went on to lose to Ireland. Bangladesh pulled of an upset as well in conditions that suited them perfectly. It was just bad luck on this front and I highly doubt it would be a problem in future.

I do, however, place a lot of blame on the pitches. Don't get me wrong - I'm in favour of pitch variation and enjoy a low-scoring ODI more than the 300+ chases we're seeing these days, but if a pitch is to assist the bowlers it should be in the form of helpful seam or spin conditions; not low and inconsistently paced pitches. These pitches don't really help the bowlers as such, they just hamper the batsmen and make it hard for them to score. By all means produce pitches that assist the bowlers, but not in this fashion as they just make for poor cricket overall.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'd go along with most of that, but realistically you can't not have Bangladesh - like it or not, they're a full member of ICC. But apart from that, yes I'd go with the 1992 format - everyone playing everyone else once with the top four playing sem-finals. Can't see it happening of course. It's already been decided that three Associates (not sure if that includes Kenya) will take part. And of course Zimbabawe are the perennial flies in the ointment.
Aye, I know that - this is ideally speaking.

If Bangladesh keep Test and ODI status, there obviously needs to be some sort of round to exclude them - ideally before the tournament rather than during it.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Aye, I know that - this is ideally speaking.

If Bangladesh keep Test and ODI status, there obviously needs to be some sort of round to exclude them - ideally before the tournament rather than during it.

The bottom two ODI teams should play off for the right to be included with the other seven, however, who would be eliminated out of Bangladesh and England is open to doubt.:)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
England remain one of the few teams yet to lose to Bangladesh and while I'd certainly be far from un-worried at such a prospect, I'd still be far more confident than I normally have been at England prospects going into World Cup games in the last 2 tournaments.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah, me too, though we would probably win by like half a wicket or something

LA ICE-E

State Captain
The problem with the last wc and the current wc format will remain. People will still say too many games with the associates. Well if they kept the 1st format of the last wc and brought in the quarterfinals in for the 2nd round then it would have solved both the problems. Associates who wouldn't cause upsets would be on the out and associateas that did creat some would go on and if they couldn't sustain their winning form would be eliminated so you wouldn't have teams in the finals/semi finals that didn't deserve to be there because they had to be undefeated since the 1st round.

And all this talks about 8 teams, hello- champions trophy.

unccricket

School Boy/Girl Captain
i like the idea of drawn out qualifying period. You could stack it so that 12 teams play, such that 11 or so ought to be the best sides....

Each division would have a qualifying tournament that includes the traditional ODI/ test countries, with minnows playing in an earlier tournament to participate in the qualifying tournament.

Using Asia as an example: you would have India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, and Bangladesh already in the tournament, with 2-4 additional spots available for the minnows. Minnows would play each other in league or tournament format so that the best ones are selected. The qualifying tournament would play out like the Asia Cup.

The world cup would then consist of:

2 from Australiasia
3 from subcontinent
2 from Africa
3 from Europe
2 from the Americas

The most likely line up would be: Pak, SL, Ind, Aus, NZ, SA, African minnow, Eng, Europe minnow (x2), West Indies, Americas minnow

Personally, I don't think the presence of minnows should be THAT big of a deal. The problem is minnows not getting regular, competitive matches against quality opponents. If a minnow is able to overcome the odds to advance in the tournament, they should be justly rewarded.

The problem I see with cricket tournaments is that they only schedule like one match for each day, that's what drags it on. At least 2-3 matches should be occuring at different venues on the same day in the group stage and super 8s. In my opinion, only the knockout phases should have one match a day.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
i like the idea of drawn out qualifying period. You could stack it so that 12 teams play, such that 11 or so ought to be the best sides....

Each division would have a qualifying tournament that includes the traditional ODI/ test countries, with minnows playing in an earlier tournament to participate in the qualifying tournament.

Using Asia as an example: you would have India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, and Bangladesh already in the tournament, with 2-4 additional spots available for the minnows. Minnows would play each other in league or tournament format so that the best ones are selected. The qualifying tournament would play out like the Asia Cup.

2 from Australiasia
3 from subcontinent
2 from Africa
3 from Europe
2 from the Americas

The most likely line up would be: Pak, SL, Ind, Aus, NZ, SA, African minnow, Eng, Europe minnow (x2), West Indies, Americas minnow

Personally, I don't think the presence of minnows should be THAT big of a deal. The problem is minnows not getting regular, competitive matches against quality opponents. If a minnow is able to overcome the odds to advance in the tournament, they should be justly rewarded.

The problem I see with cricket tournaments is that they only schedule like one match for each day, that's what drags it on. At least 2-3 matches should be occuring at different venues on the same day in the group stage and super 8s. In my opinion, only the knockout phases should have one match a day.
Mimnows would be Canada, Scotland, Ireland & Kenya/Zimbabwe

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
As I've said before, I'd have the top eight (or ten if the next best two are competitive enough) teams at the World Cup with everyone playing each other. Every game would have some meaning and be competitive and if teams have to play a maximum of nine games each (seven other teams in the tournament plus a semi and final), its hardly going to extend the tournament any longer than the most recent World Cups. It would therefore be true competitive for the world's greatest team because lets be honest, the rest have zero chance anyway.

I'd extend the Twenty20 World Cup to 15 teams though. Have three groups of five teams, go to a Super 6, semis and final. Whilst a minnow might get absolutely slaughtered (see Kenya in the T20 World Cup in South Africa), it'd give the lower ranked teams a better opportunity to showcase their skills in an international environment against the bigger nations, with any hidings over within three hours. Its proven to give the lower ranked sides a better chance of causing an upset too, with Zimbabwe and Bangladesh both recording victories over Australia and the West Indies in South Africa last year.

Last edited:

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year

2 from Australiasia
3 from subcontinent
2 from Africa
3 from Europe
2 from the Americas

I don't agree, given that there is the potential that India, Pakistan or Sri Lanka may not even make it to the start of the tournament with only three subcontinent teams in your tournament, whereas Australia and New Zealand walk in through the back door. I'd say that may turn into an even bigger farce than a massive side like India or Pakistan being knocked out before the Super 6/8s.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
As I've said before, I'd have the top eight (or ten if the next best two are competitive enough) teams at the World Cup with everyone playing each other. Every game would have some meaning and be competitive and if teams have to play a maximum of nine games each (seven other teams in the tournament plus a semi and final), its hardly going to extend the tournament any longer than the most recent World Cups. It would therefore be true competitive for the world's greatest team because lets be honest, the rest have zero chance anyway.

I'd extend the Twenty20 World Cup to 15 teams though. Have three groups of five teams, go to a Super 6, semis and final. Whilst a minnow might get absolutely slaughtered (see Kenya in the T20 World Cup in South Africa), it'd give the lower ranked teams a better opportunity to showcase their skills in an international environment against the bigger nations, with any hidings over within three hours. Its proven to give the lower ranked sides a better chance of causing an upset too, with Zimbabwe and Bangladesh both recording victories over Australia and the West Indies in South Africa last year.
I like that idea. Also, I would like to see the WC being a 10 or 9 team affair with a qualifying tournament for the last 3 or 4 spots between the best minnows and the 7th, 8th and 9th ranked teams... Sorta like the champions trophy.

LA ICE-E

State Captain

Hmm lets see, some problems, big boring problems. A team could be knocked out really early at the start of the tournament but has to keep on playing all of the rest of the nine games. Just because it was all nice in 92 doesn't mean it will always happen that way and every team will be in good form. Which would make the tournament really boring. People thought the super 8 was going to be like that too and look what happened when it didn't work out the best way imagined. 'cause you know what yeah it'd be really great if all teams played their best and it'd be really competitive until the last ball is bowled in the last match of the group stage. But that's not always going to happen and will leave us with a lot of dead rubbers just as having groups of 7 may as well dol next wc,

Jonty Lathwal

U19 Debutant
WC 2007 was the most boring cricket tournament ever............
It was too long and there were very few interesting matches........

I think WC 1999 was the best (credits to Klusener....)
ICC should shorten it (1 month perhaps).....

and a better format....(Super 8 was boring)