• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Lunch

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
OK apologies in advance for what is probably a really stupid question.

In First Class and International cricket, when the players eat their lunch and tea, do the 2 teams eat in the same room (in the same way that we do in club cricket) or do they eat separately (eg in their dressing rooms)?

- Does this vary from ground to ground, or from country to country?
- Does it vary between First Class and International matches?
- Has it varied over the years?
- And if they do eat in the same room, presumably there can be a fair amount of banter between the teams as they tuck into their sausage rolls?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
In Australia at the major venues, you eat lunch in a shared room for first class and international fixtures. Afternoon tea tends to depend on the venue, I would think.

Sri Lanka and India, I think the customs are different. Over there, food is brought into your change rooms and set up there.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Apparently the lunch at Lord's is first rate - unusual for England, but there you go.

I think there must be shared lunch rooms at some other English grounds as well, because when Marsh and Taylor batted the whole 1st day in a test in 1989 (Trent Bridge maybe - CBF looking it up), Marsh got out in the 1st session of day 2.

At lunch, Lawson walked in to find Gower having a glass of champagne. When he asked why, Gower said "Henry, I'm celebrating our wicket".

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
At the G, which for FC cricket is generally seen as the best going around, you'll usually find some sort of roast meat, a couple of salads, roasted vegetables, a pasta or a curry, plus some breads.

India stuck with mainly curries of different sorts (most of the Aussies just asked "which ones are the mild ones" :ph34r: )and a bit of naan bread, whilst SL was similar but tended to provide a bit of pasta for those who didn't find the local cuisine that appealing.

stumpski

International Captain
A couple of years ago on Test Match Special, Mike Gatting was one of the judges on their 'Best Cricket Tea' competition. Asked what he was looking for in a cricket tea, Gatting replied "basically, plenty of it."

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Seems as though things kicked off at lunchtime in the Test yesterday. The papers are reporting that Vaughan was "haranguing" AB de Vile.

Hence Arthur's gloating when Vaughan's catch was subsequently disallowed.