• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ICC launch new World Test Championship

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
At least this time they've got the top team right!

Looks very suspiciously like the Pickup formula to me...

Bazza

International 12th Man
Either way this is good news. Australia are back on top because all matches count in a period (in this case since 01/08/1999), every team has something to gain or lose in each series, every individual match counts, including dead rubbers and one off fixtures, as well as strength of opposition being taken into account.

These factors needed to be introduced, and now that they have, we get a more accurate picture of where the teams stand. Thumbs up from me.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Having had time to consider the pros and cons of the new system...

It definitely looks more like my system than the old one, but IMO it (and its ODI cousin) are very, very close in formulae and rationale to the FIFA/Coca-Cola Football World Rankings.

Which we all know are insanely unpredictable.

There's been a change in the Test Championship formulation to take into account all Tests rather than the previous meetings between two nations....

What the hell's the point of the Ten-Year plan then?

With a regular pattern like that, and matches losing X% of their value every year, teams will fluctuate up and down the rankings depending on how recently they played Bangladesh and Zimbabwe. Good system, that.

When formulating my system 4/5 months ago, we found five key points (off BBC.co.uk) that a ranking system ought to incorporate:

* There is no weighting for strength of opposition.
My system is heavily based upon opponents' strength
The Kendix/ICC system does this loosely, but most of the top teams fall in the same scoring bracket... Not impressive
* Form plays no part, with the last series between each pair of teams counting for points.
Covered this point above...
* So far, each of the 10 Test teams has yet to play all of the others, so comparisons are difficult.
Will even itself out in time, but is an interrelated flaw of any rolling league
* The results of series, not individual Tests, count for points, so a whitewash is the same as a narrow win.
Sorted in both the Kendix & Pickup systems, one difference being the series bonus the Kendix system awards. To me a 3-1 point split for a three-test series ending 2-1 isn't fair.
* Wins in home conditions count the same as those away from home.
Kendix 0-1 Pickup

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
I know it's probably a waste of time, but our (i.e. Neil's) system deserves to be recognised for what it is - the best weighting system I've ever seen for determining the world rankings.

Methinks the ICC (and the Press Association) should have this pointed out to them frequently and loudly.

Have you considered spreading the word?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
We tried several different points of contact and got identical responses from each of them.

None whatsoever.

Havn't tried the Press Association yet... I don't have any contact details or any ideas where to get hold thereof. If you have the details (and if my memory serves me correctly, you do, from the Kirtley "century" thread), then please contact them :)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I did try the ICC when you introduced the concept to me, but no-one replied.

Maybe we need it to come from a bone-fide Journalist?

(If that's the case, I think I have the answer)

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Comparison of my system and the Kendix/ICC system, basing all teams' scores on Australia as 100:

Team - ICC - NP
Australia - 100 - 100
S Africa - 89.1 - 69.2
N Zealand - 79.8 - 69.2
S Lanka - 78.3 - 46.1
England - 75.2 - 59.6
India - 70.5 - 50.9
Pakistan - 70.5 - 48.3
West Indies - 61.2 - 35.4
Zimbabwe - 45.7 - 18.1
Bangladesh - 3.1 - 1.7