• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

20 years of Jayasuriya and Tendulkar

Mard

Banned
I just realised that next year 2009 will be the 20th year of international cricket for these two great players. They both started out in 1989. Is there any one else who has been playing for so long? i have grown up watching them. The first time i saw them playing i was like 9 or 10 year old kid, now i am a 28 year old grown man. Time flew by

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I've been playing cricket for 34 years this coming season, but I don't think it's quite the same level.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
I've been playing cricket for 34 years this coming season, but I don't think it's quite the same level.
I've watched youtube clips/cricinfo clips for couple of years, but i dont think it's the same level.:)

No I think I watched couple(more or less) of full games on dish though.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well, based on my performances last year, it's arguable I've forgotten it too!!!!

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
I just realised that next year 2009 will be the 20th year of international cricket for these two great players. They both started out in 1989. Is there any one else who has been playing for so long? i have grown up watching them. The first time i saw them playing i was like 9 or 10 year old kid, now i am a 28 year old grown man. Time flew by
Obviously its not all at international level but I'm fairly certain Graeme Hick made his first class debut in the mid-late 1980s and is (rather remarkably) still playing for Worcestershire this season.

ret

International Debutant
Akram, Younis and Imran is like an all-time pace Pak attack and playing against them and drawing the series is a big plus .... not to forget that Qadir was playing too

iirc, Tendulkar hit Qadir for 4 consecutive 6s in a game in that series

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Wilfred Rhodes' Test career spanned five separate decades (1899-1930). If Tendulkar can last into the 2010s (which is very possible) he'll manage four. Not sure if anyone else has even done that.

Jayasuriya, of course, has already retired from Test cricket (twice) so barring another comeback (not completely OOTQ of course) he's out of that race. But his ODI career remains one of the most astonishing, and given recent form hopefully he can keep going for at least a little while longer. Myself I've still not given-up hope of him appearing in the 2011 World Cup.

I guess I watched Tendulkar in 1990, when aged 17 he came gloriously of age in a match double of 68 and 119* at Old Trafford. I don't remember anything from 1990 - the first time I came accross him to remember the name was 6 years later as he dominated the whole 1996 series - but I probably watched it. I was 4 years old at the time. Now I'm 22. It is amazing how some cricketers last the course.

Last edited:

Jonty Lathwal

U19 Debutant
Obviously its not all at international level but I'm fairly certain Graeme Hick made his first class debut in the mid-late 1980s and is (rather remarkably) still playing for Worcestershire this season.
yes,,,,Hick made his debut in 1983.and since then he has been going,going and going......

i think he is currently the oldest first-class player........

But Sachin -Jayasuriya are Oldest international players.......:)

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Wilfred Rhodes' Test career spanned four separate decades. If Tendulkar can last into the 2010s (which is very possible) he'll match that feat. Not sure if anyone else has done such a thing.

Brian Close played for England in four different decades, albeit sparingly.

EDIT to add - Wilfred Rhodes actually played for England in five different decades.

Last edited:

masterblaster

International Captain
Unbelievable longevity by both of them. Absolute legends of the sport and this is a true testament not only to their ability, but also their fitness, mental strength and passion for the game.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
An amazing feat by both of these stellar players. To play international cricket for ten years is quite an acheivement, let alone twice that. Fair play to them, two very special cricketers who have played a big part in shaping the modern game. Both will leave very fine legacies behind them.