• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

C'est quoi, le cricket?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
C'est quoi, le cricket?

Here at CW.n we say welcome back to Mr. Matthew Pitt, who makes his comeback with a feature on trying to explain the game to French kids with little to no prior knowledge of it.

Fascinating reading, I think you'll all agree.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
More features? Certainly.

More features from Matt? Certainly.

More features from Matt about trying to preach the gospel in France? Only he can answer that.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
It's difficult enough getting English kids to understand cricket never mind this bunch of garlic munching androids.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Fantastic article, really enjoyed reading that.

I've tried teaching and explaining cricket to people who've never played and never had much of an interest, that was difficult enough. I can't begin to imagine what it was like with the language barrier added.

Mahindinho

State Vice-Captain
Indeed -- great little article.

A workmate and I took a visiting German (or possibly Belgian...I'm still not sure!) to Old Trafford last month for the T20 match against Durham. He coped admirably well, until a light drizzle started up and he asked whether it would benefit the bowling or batting side. I explained that it'd help neither (a bit of a simplification, I know) -- the game stops until the rain ceases.

I think that was the final straw.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Thanks for the praise guys, much appreciated given that I didn't actually think the article was that good when I wrote it. :laugh:

If people want more articles about my cricketing experiences in France, I can try - although to be honest, there isn't a lot more to write about. I was pretty much cut off from the game full stop for the majority of my time over there, the only other stories I'd have to tell would be variants on that one, TBH.