• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Battle of the CricketWeb Selectors - New Zealand

Which three members would make the best selectors for New Zealand?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BoyBrumby

Englishman
No Ed? No Volts? No 16 tins? :unsure:

Anyway, HDS, Phlegm & NZT for my money. Scaly would've been good value in the boards meetings tho; always gives the kiwis a fair go IMHO. :ph34r:

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Bit surprised that Voltman and Ed aren't on the list TBH. Voted for Flem, NZTailender and Heath from the list though would've given consideration to the two absentees I noted.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
No Ed? No Volts? No 16 tins? :unsure:

Anyway, HDS, Phlegm & NZT for my money. Scaly would've been good value in the boards meetings tho; always gives the kiwis a fair go IMHO. :ph34r:
I might have been nominated, but no one seconded me. I think it's because most people can't handle the truth... :cool:

Flem274*

123/5
The only nomination I remember for me was my own vote. :p

I'll take it though. Won't be sad enough to vote for myself in here...is the poll private?:ph34r:

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Personally, it doesn't seem quite right to be having a poll that doesn't feature Voltago, Perm, 16 Tins and Mr. Ed at the very least. There's plenty of other Kiwis who could be in this poll as well - Retox, Bahns, Blakey, 99*, Somerset. Should all be in there. I would have nominated them myself, but I used up all my nominations trying to get bond21 appointed as an England and/or West Indies selector.

HeathDavisSpeed

Bowling Lineup

4. Spinners

Not a category I know so much about, but for once there are plenty of options in the New Zealand reserve.

The current incumbent is Jeetan Patel, who would easily have played 5 tests to exceed the Heath eligibility criteria if it wasn't for Dan Vettori. Patel provides an accurate delivery, an exceptional fielding ability and a solid tail end batting style.

Other spin options include Robbie Schaw, the current great leg-spinning hope; the experienced Bruce Martin and the all-round ability of Mark Houghton. As of this moment, Houghton has only played for a partial season, and will need to follow up his successes from this year to come under serious consideration.

Schaw is the guy who's currently got his foot in the door for the New Zealand A Team, but whilst he occasionally bowls delightful wicket tacking deliveries, he bowls too high a volume of 'four balls' and will need to obtain more control before he earns his place in the Heath XI.

Heath's selection is the reliable Bruce Martin. Martin offers a level of control that Schaw cannot offer - conceding only 2.7 runs per over in first class cricket - 1.2 less than Schaw and at a strike rate slightly less than Schaw. Martin also offers the ability of batting at number 9 in the batting order, and even has a first class century to his name. Martin has also displayed an ability to take international wickets - taking a five wicket haul whilst the experienced Paul Wiseman could only take a single wicket (against Sri Lanka A in 2005).

Perm

Will be perfectly honest, a little disappointed not to be nominated. In saying that, I'm perfectly happy with Bangladesh.

I went with Heath and NZTailender, couldn't split Athlai and Phlegm for the third spot so voted for neither.

HeathDavisSpeed

Not according to the rules you didn't. (face)
Infinite nominations were allowed were they??

Well, then I think this poll is a mockery without the presence of - at least - Voltman, Perm, 16 Tins and Eduardo.

Sure it might damage my chances, but I think the poll should be relaunched with those guys included, otherwise the selectors will have been appointed without a clear quorate mandate.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Same issue was addressed in the Bangladeshi thread. Nothing will be changed and hopefully when (if) this rolls around next time, people will be more considerate at the nomination phase. :)