• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Afridi's recent batting form?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
By my reckoning, Shahid Afridi forgot how to bat about 7 years ago, maybe longer.

He's never been that good, but in recent times (ie, the last 7 years) he simply hasn't seemed to care much about scoring runs - seems more keen on living-up to his ultra-aggressive reputation. If you don't try to score runs, you won't (other than the odd occasion).

Mard

Banned
^ yeah agreed. from 1996-2001 was his best period, after that he just started declining in batting and now he is batting worst then most tail enders.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Saw today's match could not help but laugh when Afridi lobbed his first ball straight to mid off.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm not really surprised, for the past few years Afridi has been more of a bowler than anything else. His batting still comes in handy when it comes off, but Pakistan fans and selectors shouldn't be relying on him to score runs consistently.

haroon510

International 12th Man
ya.. today they should have had sohail tavir bat ahead of him.. i just think afridi wasted his whole cricketing career..he had the potential to get better but he never listened and learned.. so it is time to drop him.. i know this come as supprise cuz i have been a fan of him over since i started watching cricket but as a fan i am tired of seeing him performing miseribly in every single match.. today was just another stupied shot from afridi as usual.

DaRick

State Vice-Captain
By my reckoning, Shahid Afridi forgot how to bat about 7 years ago, maybe longer.

He's never been that good, but in recent times (ie, the last 7 years) he simply hasn't seemed to care much about scoring runs - seems more keen on living-up to his ultra-aggressive reputation. If you don't try to score runs, you won't (other than the odd occasion).
DWTA. He showed signs of being able to hold a bat up until around March 2006. Since then, he has showed the same apathy in Tests that he has generally had in ODI's towards actually scoring runs (always averaging around the 22-24 mark). If junk food could represent a cricketer, Afridi would be that cricketer. He looks flashy and 'consuming' one of his 'treats' is good, although his batting style isn't particularly 'healthy'. That being said, I do see him as a 'guilty pleasure', of sorts. I probably shouldn't like him, as I dislike what he stands for within the game, but I can't help myself.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
DWTA. He showed signs of being able to hold a bat up until around March 2006.
Well I can't say I've studied every innings extensively (probably haven't even watched half of them), but I thought that, 2003-2006, he played with a I-don't-care attitude that wasn't always 100% discernible before then.
That being said, I do see him as a 'guilty pleasure', of sorts. I probably shouldn't like him, as I dislike what he stands for within the game, but I can't help myself.
Heh, hate both myself. :) Hate having to endure watching Afridi bat, and always want him out as soon as possible, unless the bowlers are truly woeful, in which case I can vaguely enjoy them being butchered. Only vaguely though.