• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England's world champion side of 1998

Owais Shah (Captain) Middlesex (22-10-78)
Paul Franks (Vice Captain) Nottinghamshire (03-02-79)
Ian Flanagan Essex (05-06-80)
Michael Gough Durham (18-12-79)
Jamie Grove Essex (03-07-79)
Giles Haywood Sussex (08-09-79)
Robert Key Kent (12-05-79)
Aaron Laraman Middlesex (10-01-79)
Richard Logan Northamptonshire (28-01-80)
Graham Napier Essex (06-01-80)
Stephen Peters Essex (10-12-78)
Jonathan Powell Essex (13-06-79)
Christopher Schofield Lancashire (06-10-78)
Graeme Swann Northamptonshire (24-03-79)
Nicholas Wilton Sussex/MCC (23-09-78)

These lads won the u-19 wc for England in 1998 and great things were tipped for many of them.
But none of them has really established themselves a top notch senior level international cricketer....so what went wrong and where are these guys nows in terms of tehir careers seeing they should be at their prime or close to it ?
Any hope for an England recall for those other than Shah and Swann ??

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Stephen Peters would have to be one of the biggest disappointments on that list.

Heard people talk his potential up bigtime as Englan'ds most promising batsman in 1998/1999.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Graham Napier, well he showed everyone what he is capable of, smashing the ball and bowling at good pace, but I'm not sure whether he could hack it at international level.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Key may still be recalled to the international fold. He's perhaps a few ranks outside the team (probably behind Bopara and Shah in the queue) but I reckon he'll play international cricket at some point in the future.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
I remember there was an article in The Wisden Cricketer a couple of months back about that particular side. I guess success at youth level, even at the Under 19 level, comparably close to international level, doesn't actually guarantee success at that next level up. The majority of them have played for counties while Key, Shah, Schofield and Swann all represented England, so 4/15 isn't that bad I guess.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I remember there was an article in The Wisden Cricketer a couple of months back about that particular side. I guess success at youth level, even at the Under 19 level, comparably close to international level, doesn't actually guarantee success at that next level up. The majority of them have played for counties while Key, Shah, Schofield and Swann all represented England, so 4/15 isn't that bad I guess.
Franks too, if just the once.

It'd be interesting to see what the strike rate for other winning teams is.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
India's winning 2000 squad:

*M Kaif
RS Sodhi
Yuvraj Singh
YV Rao
NK Patel
S Sriwastava
M Tripathi
+A Ratra
NA Yadav
RS Ricky
S Vidyuth
M Diwakar
AM Dave
Manish Sharma

5/14 and only Yuvraj Singh and Kaif has been a regular players in the squad throughout their careers.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Australia 2002, winning squad.

Cameron White
George Bailey
Aaron Bird
Jarrad Burke
Robert Cassell
Beau Casson
Daniel Christian
Mark Cosgrove
Adam Crosthwaite
Xavier Doherty
Adam Fleming
Shaun Marsh
Craig Philipson
Craig Simmons

4/14 and I would be surprised if George Bailey and maybe even Xavier Doherty play some matches for Australia. If you included Ben Hilfenhaus who was a standby player that is five.

Last edited:

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Pakistan 2004

*Khalid Latif
Adnan Zaheer
Abid Ali
Jahangir Mirza
Mohammad Asif Iqbal
Fawad Alam
+Zulqarnain Haider
Tariq Mahmood
Mansoor Amjad
Usman Saeed
Salman Qadir
Wahab Riaz
Riaz Afridi
Ali Imran Pasha

Pakistan interetsing already have six and lead the pack already.

Though Khalid Latif, Zulqarnain Haider, Mansoor Amjad and Riaz Afridi have all only played one match. Wahab Riaz has played four ODIs. Fawad Alam is the only player to reach double figures with 10 ODIs, 3 T20Is.

Mind you most rate this squad as the best squad ever after last season's Indian world cup winning squad.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Pakistan 2004

Khalid Latif - 1 ODI
Adnan Zaheer
Abid Ali
Jahangir Mirza
Mohammad Asif Iqbal
Fawad Alam
Zulqarnain Haider - 1 T20
Tariq Mahmood
Mansoor Amjad - 1 T2
Usman Saeed
Salman Qadir
Wahab Riaz
Riaz Afridi
Ali Imran Pasha

6/14.

EDIT: Dislike Tharmi.

Mr Mxyzptlk

West Indies 2004 - Losing Finalists

Dinesh Ramdin - West Indies wicketkeeper.
Kirk Edwards - Talented batsman, but hasn't done enough to keep a place for Barbados.
Xavier Marshall - West Indies opening batsman.
Tishan Maraj - Perhaps the best batsman of the bunch, but gave up cricket to study medicine.
Lendl Simmons - T&T opening batsman/occasional wicketkeeper. Played briefly for WI.
Assad Fudadin - Was very impressed with this left-hander, but hasn't done enough for Guyana yet.
Liam Sebastien - Good player, who has gotten more mature recently. Will probably play for West Indies in future.
Ravi Rampaul - West Indies ODI bowler. Fixture in the T&T (and Ireland) side.
Mervin Matthew - Haven't seen him properly.
Rishi Bachan - Useful left-armer, but never seemed anything special.
Lionel Baker - Too inconsistent. Probably won't amount to much.
Barrington Yearwood - Haven't seen him properly.
Jonathan Augustus - Talented, but doesn't seem to play cricket anymore. Just disappeared.
Zamal Khan - Haven't seen him properly.

4/14. Surprising, given the West Indies situation of late.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Ah OK. It's just that our school went on tour to WI and played against the Winward Islands or something and he scored a good 100. They were so impressed that they offered him a scholarship and now he has come over for the summer to play for my club and this private school in Leeds.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Probably common in St. Lucia, but not common in the Caribbean in general, AFAIK. St. Lucia is a very small island, so the odds are pretty heavy that they're related somehow.

As he's that young, he could well feature in the next age level tournament, and may have played in an Under-15 Championship or two. I'll keep an eye out for him.